User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    JBGHEAT

Tow Vehicle Question for 27RL

My wife and I have decided on a 27RL. One of the two models in the super light line.
    8000 pounds dry
    1500 pound hitch weight
    10,000 pound GVWR
    I just sold my 1/2 ton truck and will soon purchase a 3/4 ton. Here's my question and I would appreciate any input: I'm leaning toward a 2015 Chevrolet 2500. 4wd, short bed, 4.10 rear. 6.0l gas engine. The towing capacity in that configuration is 13,000 pounds. I'm thinking I'll probably be ok with that truck but I'm losing sleep with the gas v diesel question. The truck with the gas engine is approx. $10,000 to $15,000 less than the diesel. I know the diesel would be advantageous down the road if we were to go to a larger unit but we're committing to the 27RL for the next several years .
    I have to believe there are some other folks who have been down this road before and I'd love to hear with someone who is towing a lighter fifth with a 3/4 ton truck with a gas engine. Thanks

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    First of all, I've owned both gas and diesel engine trucks, and you'll be fine with either one up to the towing capacity. You'll get more torque and fuel milage with the diesel, but with modern gas engines and transmissions, you won't have an issue either way. For me, it made sense to go with the diesel engine. We tow more than 8K miles per year, and we do a lot of serious mountain towing, so the extra torque and milage made sense for us.

The real limiting factor if you go with a bigger rig will be the payload capacity of the truck. If you put two 2500 trucks side by side, the gas powered truck will usually have a higher payload capacity! This is because the gasoline powered drive train weighs less than the diesel equivalent. For most folks towing a fifth wheel, it's not the towing capacity of the truck that limits them, it's the payload capacity. For example, lets say you purchase a truck that has 2500 pounds of payload capacity. You list the 1500 pounds of hitch weight, but that is for an empty trailer. By the time you load it up, it will likely be around 1800-2000. So let's say it's 1900 pounds fully loaded. Take the original 2500 pounds of payload of the truck, and subtract 1900 pounds. Then subtract the weight of the FW hitch which is usually around 100#, passengers, cargo and anything else you put in the truck. You can see that it's very easy to exceed the payload capacity of the truck. If it were me, I'd worry much more about purchasing a truck with excess payload capacity vs. the difference between diesel and gasoline.

Jim

JBGHEAT
    Thanks Jim for that info. I did a little more digging on truck specs.
    6525 curb weight
    3152 max payload
    20,500 GCWR
    So if my math is correct with a 1500 dry hitch weight that leaves me 1600 pounds before I hit the max payload. Also, adding the 6525 curb weight of the truck and 10,000 total trailer (loaded) that leaves me right around 4000 pounds before I hit the max GCWR. If all that is correct, I think I'll be ok with the gas version.

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JBG, definitely a great choice, any GD fifth wheel! We are interested in how you plan to use the 27RL. Are you planning to do weekend outings, 1 or 2 week vacations, or more extended journeys? What kind of terrain, hills, mountains? It's good you are looking down the road to a larger unit, more than likely you will need to upgrade the tow vehicle also, but it's only money! I think your idea of a 4.10 gear will help the relatively less torque from the 6.0. Man, it sounds like a huge difference in price to step up to a Duramax, my foggy memory is $6-$7,000 for the diesel upgrade, possibly a fairly big option price for the Allison transmission. The upside would be that you might be able to go down to a gear like a 3.73 to keep the RPMs down. I know it's apples and oranges, but our 2008 Ram gets about 20 mpg not towing, I think GM would do at least as good! I know it's current politics, but diesel fuel is 20 to 40 cents less than gasoline. My research on kbb.com shows diesel trucks return about 100% of the option price as a used vehicle. I'm prejudiced but I am very happy with our Dodge, about 105,000 miles with not a lot of repairs, mostly maintenance. I also think that the diesel properly maintained will deliver more miles than the gas engine, so it could be the right time to buy the right truck for now and the future. Best to you, I know I am not the guy who is responding to your primary concern, but maybe some thoughts and opinions you can factor in!
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

JBGHEAT
    Thanks for that info Steve. We are in Grand Junction. We recently sold a bumper pull camper and a 1/2 ton truck to take this leap into the fifth wheel world. We wanted to stay small enough to camp ( 3 or 4 nights) around Colorado, light enough to do some traveling around the west, but large enough to go to AZ for a month or so in the winter and Gunnison for a month in the summer. We feel that the 27RL will meet those needs.

As far as the truck quest goes, I originally started the search for a low mileage, late model 3/4 ton diesel and I'm still looking! Those trucks are hard to find over here on the western slope. I would be happy with either a Dodge, Ford, or Chevy. The used diesels are more money than the new gas trucks so that is why I started looking at going gas and new for warranty, etc. I'm not going to end the search for that late model, low mileage diesel just yet but I'm trying to research the 3/4 gas just in case I go that direction. Go Broncos!

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Keep an eye on that max payload number. As you add the diesel engine, 4x4 drivetrain, bigger cab, etc . . . that number can go down quickly. There are a lot of fully loaded diesel 3/4 ton trucks running around with payload capability not much over 2000 lbs.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Kerrville, TX RV parks through April 2020
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JBG, I would visit with you about our 2008 Dodge Ram 2500 in our signature. Currently has 105,000 miles, bright metallic blue, typical option package. We are original owners. It may be too old or too many miles, but I have been toying with getting a Ram 2500 dually for our next possible step up. Feel free to PM me either way! Currently we are in Pagosa Springs camp hosting, will be in castle Rock by Friday or Saturday.
    AKA Steve and Lynne
    Storm the Black Lab
    Reflection 337 RLS vin 573FR3628E3300393
    2008 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab Longbox
    6.7 Cummins, 68 RFE transmission
    B and W Companion, Air Lifts

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My choice was F350, diesel, short bed, crew cab, single rear wheel 4x4. There is never going to be question on payload or towing capacity. The diesel has the torque to pull the hills and an engine break to slow you on the downside which is important. It should give you better fuel economy over a gas model and piece of mind while towing. A diesel 350 is going to cost more up front but retains its value over a similar model gasser. I settled for a one year old used F350 diesel with 14K miles on it and still in warranty. I saved a bundle over buying new. Because of all the electronics on it, I chose to purchase an extended warranty from Ford and not from some post office box discount warranty company in Florida.
    Most importantly, you have to do your homework when selecting a tow vehicle. Check the manufacturers website for fifth wheel towing capacity according to how your vehicle is configured. (Crew Cab, Axle Ratio, 4x4, etc) Check the gray sticker on the drivers side door post. It will give you the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating and Front and Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating. Find out how much the truck weighs (GVW) and subtract that from the GVWR and you will get your payload capacity. Make sure your payload, which includes passengers, truck cargo, fifth wheel, fuel, and trailer king pin weight, does not exceed your Gross Axle Weight Ratings and your tire ratings. Look up your vehicle's Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating and your trailer's GVWR. Does the weight of your truck plus the weight of the trailer fall within the GCVWR? Above all, some salespeople are knowledgeable. Others are "convincing", to be polite. Hopefully you can smell the difference.
    Susan and Jim
    2015 Reflection 27RL
    2013 Ford F350 Diesel Crew Cab 4x4 SRW
    PullRite Superglide 16K Hitch
    Timbren SES

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I posted this quite a while ago, but it's a good visual aid pairing a truck and trailer:

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMHO....if you are going to buy a 3/4 ton truck it should be a diesel...any of the Big 3. Never heard of anyone trading down from the diesel to a gas engine. I towed a 8500# TT with a 381HP gas Tundra and it struggled with it and 7.5 MPG. Got the Dodge with 350 HP diesel, no problems and 14.5 MPG. Again, IMHO....look at a diesel truck even if it is in the 2008-20012 range (Dodge in those years don't use DEF) if you need to compensate for $$.
    Marvin & Marion
    2016 Reflection 303RLS
    2008 Ram 2500HD

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast