User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I completely agree, I do the same, but the risk is there that you'll get distracted, and an overflow can result. It simply depends on your risk assessment.
    I set my phone timer so I don't forget. At our last campground, one of the wifi network handles was "Traveling Sh:t Show". I don't want to be that person in reality.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This has been an interesting read.

I've decided to get a flow meter for the fresh and black tank.

As for pressure gauge, I've never had an issue with it frankly never gave it much thought. I mean, could the pressure be so high that it would damage something?

In my current trailer, I fill the black tank with the flush and my wife sits in there and tells me when its full in the toilet. This system should work on a 397? Now it's 7 minutes of wasted time but it takes out the chance of an accident. At times I will run the toilet flush until the tank is full but seing the 397 has a bigger tank that probably does not make sense.

I will search but if someone can point me to a tank capacity and diagram for a 2021 397th that would be great.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldcow View Post
    This has been an interesting read.

I've decided to get a flow meter for the fresh and black tank.

As for pressure gauge, I've never had an issue with it frankly never gave it much thought. I mean, could the pressure be so high that it would damage something?

In my current trailer, I fill the black tank with the flush and my wife sits in there and tells me when its full in the toilet. This system should work on a 397? Now it's 7 minutes of wasted time but it takes out the chance of an accident. At times I will run the toilet flush until the tank is full but seing the 397 has a bigger tank that probably does not make sense.

I will search but if someone can point me to a tank capacity and diagram for a 2021 397th that would be great.

Oldcow
    In general, there are no plumbing schematics for RVs. Depending on the info source, your fresh water tank is either 140 or 155 gallons. The gray and black tanks are 104 gallons each. @huntr70 may have more accurate information for your model year...

High water pressure can damage a LOT of things in an RV, but I've never had a problem with it damaging the black tank flush system. I don't use a flow meter, though, I time the fill based on the time it takes to fill it 1/3 full. Here is my utility bay setup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211106_120323 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	50076

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, could the pressure be so high that it would damage something?
    Yes, it could. There may not be a need to keep a gauge inline at all times, but you should at least have pressure regulator and know that it is working within the specified range.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I mean, could the pressure be so high that it would damage something?

Oldcow
    We've stayed at several campgrounds where upon check-in we were told we needed a water pressure regulator by the staff - over 100psi.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    In general, there are no plumbing schematics for RVs. Depending on the info source, your fresh water tank is either 140 or 155 gallons. The gray and black tanks are 104 gallons each. @huntr70 may have more accurate information for your model year...

High water pressure can damage a LOT of things in an RV, but I've never had a problem with it damaging the black tank flush system. I don't use a flow meter, though, I time the fill based on the time it takes to fill it 1/3 full. Here is my utility bay setup:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20211106_120323 (Medium).jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	93.9 KB 
ID:	50076

Rob
    Nice set up

Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    Yes, it could. There may not be a need to keep a gauge inline at all times, but you should at least have pressure regulator and know that it is working within the specified range.
    Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    We've stayed at several campgrounds where upon check-in we were told we needed a water pressure regulator by the staff - over 100psi.
    Good to know. I m convinced now I need this inexpensive insurance tool.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Call me squeamish, but I still don't like the idea of connecting the black tank flush fitting to the fresh water line. Ball valves, check valves, whatever - I just would rather keep my fresh and black systems separate.

Bought a separate (black colored) hose to connect to the black tank flush so I can use the non-potable water at the dump stations. I never have the fresh water lines connected to the same fitting as the non-potable lines.

I guess I *am* squeamish.
    signature

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jjbbrewer View Post
    Call me squeamish, but I still don't like the idea of connecting the black tank flush fitting to the fresh water line. Ball valves, check valves, whatever - I just would rather keep my fresh and black systems separate.

Bought a separate (black colored) hose to connect to the black tank flush so I can use the non-potable water at the dump stations. I never have the fresh water lines connected to the same fitting as the non-potable lines.

I guess I *am* squeamish.
    So am I. Brain farts happen to everyone. I try to minimize their damage by my version of best practices
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finz04 View Post
    I know what it does, but let me adjust my question a bit. What’s the advantage of measuring the amount going in? With fresh water, I seldom fill to capacity but when I have a need to do so, I generally fill till it runs out the overflow. When I flush my black tank I usually time it to avoid overflowing.

So I’m curious if folks were doing it out of need or advantage?
    I like to know how much water is going in. If it goes over capacity, I will know there is a problem that needs fixing.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by finz04 View Post
    Understood, thanks. I know the time to 1/3 and 2/3 full. I would not attempt to fill the black tank to capacity either by timing or by using a flow meter. Just not comfortable pushing my luck.
    That time can vary with different wate sources. A flow meter will always be accurate.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast