User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone install air bags with B&W turnover ball mount and companion fifth wheel hitch?

I am wanting to install Load lifter 5000 Ultimate air bags on a 2008 Ford F350 Lariet Dually crew Cab 4x4 with 8 foot bed. I have one concern. I have already installed a B&W gooseneck ball mount with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. Has anyone installed air bags with the B&W gooseneck turnover ball mount installed? I am not against using the Firestone air bags.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Racerx,

The Airlift bags go between the axle and the frame, in place of the OEM jounce bumpers. I have a much smaller truck, but chose Airlift because my Reese hitch attaches to plates bolted along the outside of the frame rails . . . right where the Firestone brackets would have to go. Absolutely no interference with the Airlift hardware. What is your anticipated interference ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Crab Trap
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerx View Post
    I am wanting to install Load lifter 5000 Ultimate air bags on a 2008 Ford F350 Lariet Dually crew Cab 4x4 with 8 foot bed. I have one concern. I have already installed a B&W gooseneck ball mount with the Companion 5th wheel hitch. Has anyone installed air bags with the B&W gooseneck turnover ball mount installed? I am not against using the Firestone air bags.
    I have a 2014 Ram 2500 and yes, I have the B&W turn over hitch and The companion hitch. Iinstalled the Firestone air bags. I tow a Montana 3711 and I need a little lift. We will be picking up our new Reflection 29rs in 2 weeks and probably won't need much of a lift. Once installed, be sure to keep at least 10 lbs of air in them.

notnsuv
    Air Ride bags with B&W turn over ball and Anderson Ultimate on a 2005 Chevy 2500 SRW 8' bed regular cab. No issues.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is an old thread, but has anyone installed the Firestone Ride Rite air bags (Model 2596) on a 2016 (or similar) 2500HD with the B&W Companion hitch installed? Started to order the air bags and figured I better check first. If no replies I'll call Firestone Monday morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon T View Post
    I know this is an old thread, but has anyone installed the Firestone Ride Rite air bags (Model 2596) on a 2016 (or similar) 2500HD with the B&W Companion hitch installed? Started to order the air bags and figured I better check first. If no replies I'll call Firestone Monday morning.
    I have a 2016 2500HD with the B&W patriot slider. I do not have the Firestones but I have the Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimates. Tthe only reason I went with them over the Firestones is that the 5000 Ultimates have an internal jounce in them, which means I do not have to keep any air in them when not towing. I was told with the Firestones you always had to make sure you had at least 5lbs in them because they did not have the internal jounce. Either way you will be happy with airbags to level out the load.
    Tim Rutledge
    Phoenix, AZ
    2107 Reflection 318rst
    2106 Chevy 2500HD Z72 4x4 Duramax
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tmrut5 View Post
    I have a 2016 2500HD with the B&W patriot slider. I do not have the Firestones but I have the Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Ultimates. Tthe only reason I went with them over the Firestones is that the 5000 Ultimates have an internal jounce in them, which means I do not have to keep any air in them when not towing. I was told with the Firestones you always had to make sure you had at least 5lbs in them because they did not have the internal jounce. Either way you will be happy with airbags to level out the load.
    I went with the Timbrens. Installed them yesterday and heading out on a trip tomorrow to NM and the White Mountains. I just didn't feel like messing with the install of the air bags and I remembered I tore a pair a few years back while off roading and they wouldn't warranty them so they became paper weights. The Air Lift are the ones I was going to buy with the stainless air lines (Ultimate Plus I think they were called) before I chickened out.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went with the Timbrens. Installed them yesterday and heading out on a trip tomorrow to NM and the White Mountains. I just didn't feel like messing with the install of the air bags and I remembered I tore a pair a few years back while off roading and they wouldn't warranty them so they became paper weights. The Air Lift are the ones I was going to buy with the stainless air lines (Ultimate Plus I think they were called) before I chickened out.
    You and I have identical trucks. I installed Timbrens last spring and am quite happy with them. Had air bags on the last rig and they worked well too. I like the simplicity of the Timbrens. No air lines, no pressures to adjust, no worries. The addition of Bilstein shocks in conjunction with the Timbrens really improved the ride , whether towing or not.
    BTW, the factory installed HD gas shocks were toast at 13,000 miles, with 3 of them having lost all gas pressure.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone worried about tearing bags when off-road or taking to shop that uses frame lifts should consider these.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0084...op_mb_pd_title
    These bolt directly to the firestone lower brackets and allow the bags to “float” when the axle drops.

I just installed firestone bags on my F350 SRW with factory puck system. The upper bracket bolts the OEM frame holes. The bottom bracket to the upper spring via u-bolts. Firestone has two spacers included (DRW or SRW). Took me 45 minutes because I like to route my lines thru the frame and wrap in wire loom.

I drop all the air out of the bags before unhooking from 5vr and they remain collapsed (sucked up) when not towing. I will admit that 10-15psi in bags make then empty ride smoother.

My 2 pennies...
    LeAllan and Jessica

2019 Reflection 311BHS
    2017 F350 XL 6.2L 4x4 3.73
    BW 3300 Ford OEM fifth wheel
    Firestone bags

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiefblueman View Post
    You and I have identical trucks. I installed Timbrens last spring and am quite happy with them. Had air bags on the last rig and they worked well too. I like the simplicity of the Timbrens. No air lines, no pressures to adjust, no worries. The addition of Bilstein shocks in conjunction with the Timbrens really improved the ride , whether towing or not.
    BTW, the factory installed HD gas shocks were toast at 13,000 miles, with 3 of them having lost all gas pressure.
    Were those failed shocks the Ranchos? Mine have over 40K on them now, but I honestly couldn't tell you if they were bad or not. I'm a big fan of Bilsteins though. I always buy those for my heavy trucks when it's time to replace shocks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast