Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 308bhts tow

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

308bhts tow

Just purchased this wonderful trailer today and yet to get it but I as a ford technician very uncertain as to wether can tow or not.Towing vehicle is 2014 fx4 with ecoboost max tow trailer package is anyone else towing with just same truck and if so how well is it towing .will not be venturing too far as probably to pick it up which is about 2.5 hours away will be the furthest.Any input greatly appreciated as I traded old surveyor select which was 5400 lbs and still uncertain and I guess now is time to let company know it won't work if it won't lol

King Pin
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The 308BHTS has a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating of 9,995#. The unloaded hitch weight is 940 pounds. It has a cargo capacity of about 1,650 pounds including water and propane. Let's say you load it to the maximum, and the hitch weighs 1,200 pounds. How will your truck stack up?

I believe the max towing capacity of your truck is 11,000 pounds, so you should be good there. The other thing to consider is how much weight you can put on the truck. Look at your driver's door column. There should be a tire sticker and on that sticker it will list how much weight you can put on the truck. If the 1,200 pound hitch weight, weigh of driver, passengers and all cargo are less than what the sticker says, you are good to go. If all of that adds up to more than what your truck is rated for, then you don't have the capacity for the trailer.

Jim

james quinn
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtempz97 View Post
    Just purchased this wonderful trailer today and yet to get it but I as a ford technician very uncertain as to wether can tow or not.Towing vehicle is 2014 fx4 with ecoboost max tow trailer package is anyone else towing with just same truck and if so how well is it towing .will not be venturing too far as probably to pick it up which is about 2.5 hours away will be the furthest.Any input greatly appreciated as I traded old surveyor select which was 5400 lbs and still uncertain and I guess now is time to let company know it won't work if it won't lol
    I have a
    2013 f150 Eco w/max tow and pull a313rlts. Mine is a screw cab and my payload capacity is 1553. Your hitch is same as mine I believe so note that the tongue weight capacity is 1130# and towing capacity of vehicle is 11300#. You need to know that the unloaded tongue weight of the trailer will increase by about 160# when you add battery and fill the propane tanks. It will increase a bit more depending on how you load the trailer

Oh, and I added 500# to the rear of my trailer just to take weight off tongue !

JimQ
    Last edited by james quinn; 09-11-2015 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Extra info

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can tow the 308BHTS trailer with the max tow package. I would suggest you get AirRide rear air bags, however.

You should also consider investing in one of the top hitches like a Hensley or Blue Ox since you're pushing your vehicle's capabilities. Otherwise, every truck that passes you will produce fear in your driver's seat. It'll feel like they'll blow you off the road.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gtempz97

With an FX4, you will have max trailer towing but not likely the max payload package. Do you have the 7 lug wheels with LT tires ?
    Your limiting factor will be the Class IV hitch which has a max capacity of about 1100 lbs.
    GVWR is unusually close to the the dry weight for the 308bhts, with only 1650 lbs difference, so you will probably be close to GVWR when loaded.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Weight for what truck can carry is 1750 and you are right just the max trailer tow not max pay load so I should be just under just won't be able to put a whole lot in trailer plan is to go about 45 mins from here to a seasonal site .never thought of putting bit more weight in the back and will not be travelling with tank of water so that will help.guess I will just have to buy the beer when I get there and not haul it .thanks ever so much for the swift responses

james quinn
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    Gtempz97

With an FX4, you will have max trailer towing but not likely the max payload package. Do you have the 7 lug wheels with LT tires ?
    Your limiting factor will be the Class IV hitch which has a max capacity of about 1100 lbs.
    GVWR is unusually close to the the dry weight for the 308bhts, with only 1650 lbs difference, so you will probably be close to GVWR when loaded.

Rob
    yeah Rob, but not everyone carries a metal lathe and horizontal boring equipment in the tool compartment

JimQ

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The part that nobody tells you is that these trucks obviously have a significant "safety margin" built in. I'm still wondering why I don't have to put any air in my airbags to sit level with the loaded 303RLS 5th attached ???

I think you will be fine for the towing you describe . . . but I would still invest in airbags and one of the top hitches per Bamaman's advice.
    The Airlift 5000 bags with on board compressor and wireless remote control are an easy install and a nice combination to have.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cate&Rob View Post
    The part that nobody tells you is that these trucks obviously have a significant "safety margin" built in. I'm still wondering why I don't have to put any air in my airbags to sit level with the loaded 303RLS 5th attached ???

Rob
    Same thing here Rob. I've got a 2015 F150 EcoBoost 4x4 Crewcab with Airlift 5000 bags towing a 2014 293RES with a SideWinder pinbox and hitch set as low as it can possibly go, and I still can't get the box (or trailer) to run level, maybe another 1000-2000 pounds in the box would help

Milton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You might find some useful info at http://www.momentumgunner.com/towing_notes.html
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)