User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Black Tank Release Handle Stuck

We own a 2020 Reflection 303RLS. The release handle on the black tank is stuck partway out. I can't get it to move in or out. Not sure if the tank is open or not. I drained the tanks earlier today and was unable to return the handle to the normal position when I finished. Any one have any thoughts on what might be creating the problem?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Apparently a common problem. lube and work the handle. Hopefuly it comes free. We bought a new 23lde this last spring. On the third trip, handle was rough opening durring dump. Did not want to close. Warranty item and now I lube with dry lube every dump. Seemed to freeze up right where the inner cable goes into the shield next to the handle.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redfernclan View Post
    Apparently a common problem. lube and work the handle. Hopefuly it comes free. We bought a new 23lde this last spring. On the third trip, handle was rough opening durring dump. Did not want to close. Warranty item and now I lube with dry lube every dump. Seemed to freeze up right where the inner cable goes into the shield next to the handle.
    Do you just lube the exposed metal rod (the part you can see when the valve is open) at the Nautilus panel or do you dump something like this (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) in the black tank?
    2023 Reflection 324 MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 | Laramie | 6.7L HO | SRW | 4x4 |

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rbgntx View Post
    We own a 2020 Reflection 303RLS. The release handle on the black tank is stuck partway out. I can't get it to move in or out. Not sure if the tank is open or not. I drained the tanks earlier today and was unable to return the handle to the normal position when I finished. Any one have any thoughts on what might be creating the problem?
    If the cable will not move I don't see how you are going to be able to work lubrication into the cable assembly. If it's stuck partway out odds are the valve is partially open. You can determine this by running water down the toilet and see if it comes out the discharge pipe. It really doesn't make any difference if you can't work the valve. I doubt that product you linked to is going to help, and you are probably going to end up having to drop the underbelly and see what's going on at the valve. Maybe someone else has an easier fix.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difficulty began just before we left our summer base in Oregon in October. I have been using dry lube on it and that had been working until now. I've been in contact with a repair service at our current spot in SoCal. We are supposed to leave here in ten days and head back to Texas so I hope we can get it taken care of before we hit the road. Thanks for the replies.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The difficulty began just before we left our summer base in Oregon in October. I have been using dry lube on it and that had been working until now. I've been in contact with a repair service at our current spot in SoCal. We are supposed to leave here in ten days and head back to Texas so I hope we can get it taken care of before we hit the road. Thanks for the replies.
    I learned that lesson the hard way with a gray tank. I switched from WD40 to dry lube. Big mistake according to the tech. The water dispersing capability of WD40 makes the difference. Three weeks later I had a gray tank cable stuck partially open at Yellowstone and bent the rod trying to get it closed (make sure your cables are securely fastened to the Nautilus backing plate - this one was loose which caused me to push the rod at an angle and bend it). I figured I'd have to drop the coroplast and replace the cable. Tech was able to get it working by rotating the handle and turning the aluminum rod while liberally soaking the aluminum rod with WD40. Eventually he was able to push it in just a small amount and pull it back. Took him an hour pushing it in and out in small increments but he was able to get it working and even straighten the bend out of the rod. As of winterizing, was functional again two months later. But they all got good doses of WD40 every time they were pulled since.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A better quality cable would make a world of deference. Maybe something with a seal so when you go through somewhere like Oregon where it rains a bunch the parts underneath don't get wet and corrode. I know the cheap pot metal used on the cables sure starts rusting or oxidizing quickly.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And yes, I just lube the exposed section of the cable. I also work it back and forth while doing so while I am dumping.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by redfernclan View Post
    And yes, I just lube the exposed section of the cable. I also work it back and forth while doing so while I am dumping.
    I really stunned by the amount of rust that comes out every time I lube the cables - seems never-ending.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Move up to Electric

I bought a used Cardinal 5'er, and had issues getting the black water to close completely. The cable systems are horrible. I upgraded all three of my tanks to electric valves, as well as added an emergency shutoff valve at the primary connection point. Also went to the LCI Wastemaster system and love it.

Jim
    2021 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW Air-ride
    B&W 25k Companion puck system
    2012 Forest River Cardinal 3550RL
    39 months to retirement, WE WILL GET THERE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast