User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

WFCO and Lithium

I'm sure this has been covered, but at the risk of being scolded, here goes.

Have an '18 327M. The manual included in the dealer delivery is for the WFCO Ultra III deckmount converter - WF-9800 series. I'm looking to move to a lithium battery, and wondering if I need to get the actual model from the top of the unit to know if it's auto-detect or not. It's not listed as a WF-9800AD manual.

Its cold out, and I'm too lazy to crawl in the basement to get the model number
    CJ & Jo
    RIP: Rocky & Rya
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Q2: Anyone have a Progressive Dynamics model replacement recommendation? We have a 50Amp shore power setup.

Looking at this one: https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd9100l/
    CJ & Jo
    RIP: Rocky & Rya
    2018 Momentum 327M, 2019 RAM 2500 6.7L Turbo Cummins, BW Companion Slider, Timbren SES, Bilstein 4600

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cjohnson View Post
    Q2: Anyone have a Progressive Dynamics model replacement recommendation? We have a 50Amp shore power setup.

Looking at this one: https://www.progressivedyn.com/pd9100l/
    Go with the 9160Al. 60 amps versus 45. I have this and have had no issues.
    https://www.amazon.com/Progressive-D...3-0e5c1a776d5d
    Last edited by SilentService; 12-05-2023 at 06:50 PM.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have an '18 327M. The manual included in the dealer delivery is for the WFCO Ultra III deckmount converter - WF-9800 series. I'm looking to move to a lithium battery, and wondering if I need to get the actual model from the top of the unit to know if it's auto-detect or not. It's not listed as a WF-9800AD manual.

I've got a 2018 Momentum 394M and at that time, they were not putting LiFePO type converter/chargers in the trailers. Mine is a 9855 and it is for flooded lead acid batteries, although that charger will get a LFP battery up to around 80% SOC
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We have a WFCO converter that is supposed to be auto-detect but doesn't recognize LiFePo4 batteries in practice. But even in LA mode, it charges my battery to about 85% which is enough most of the time. My solar will top the charge up to 100% when there is sun. You may find that the WFCO will be adequate as is.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have the build sheet from GD? Mine lists all the components that were factory installed.
    40+ Year Camping Enthusiast--Living in CO
    2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4 CC-LB D-Max Payload 3865#--- 5000 Air Springs w/Wireless Comp
    2022 GD Reflection 303RLS-- 565 watts of solar/560aH of LIPO4 batteries, 2000w inverter,
    DC Starllink- Comfort Ride Shock System and Lippert Air Pin Box

Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back then, they did not use auto detect converter/chargers.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Back then, they did not use auto detect converter/chargers.
    That is my recollection as well.

I am also shifting to over using lithium batteries on our trailer and like you I am worried about the WFCO Auto Detect converters. Except in my case, I already have one the new Auto Detecting converter units in our trailer and I'm worried that it won't switch or stay switched to the lithium charge profile. My converter is a WF-9855-AD Deck Mount Converter Charger that will put out 55 amps. Like you I've read lots of negative posts and seen videos complaining about these new "AD" converters. Since I'm stuck (at least for now) with our Auto Detect converter, I started doing more research on it and I stumbled upon a video put out by the National RV Training Academy that also includes a WFCO tech which talks all about the WFCO Auto Detect converters, how they work and even talks about the bad press that its received. I though you might find it interesting to watch.

The video can be found here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7MA5lKMf9A)

I watched the video and I found it comical when the WFCO Tech basically said that they developed the new AD units to make our lives easier! We no longer have to move the switch on the converter over to lithium! Yippee!!! Like that is such a huge effort and you'd probably only need to switch it once! I'd be willing to bet that the new AD units are just cheaper to build and that's why they switched. Then he went on to imply that because there is a switch on the old converters that a lot of people are just "button pushers" and will just for no reason flip the switch. Again that is ridiculous assumption, but the rest of the video is interesting. He basically said that the AD units can detect which type of battery is connected buy the way it takes its initial charge. Which is why they say that battery should be discharged before charging, so the converter gets enough time to "learn" the charge profile of the battery. The tech explained how the unit works and how other factors, like the distance between the battery and converter or the addition a solar charger can effect the charging. It was obvious from the video that WFCO is seriously concerned about all of the bad press that these new AD converters are receiving. All in all, I found the video interesting and though you'd might as well.

Lastly, if you find, as I suspect that you don't have one of these Auto Detect converters, then I would suggest that you switch to another manufacturer, like Progressive Dynamics.

Mentioned
    222 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, even my 2021 Reflection doe snot have the auto detect converter/charger.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
    That is my recollection as well.

I am also shifting to over using lithium batteries on our trailer and like you I am worried about the WFCO Auto Detect converters. Except in my case, I already have one the new Auto Detecting converter units in our trailer and I'm worried that it won't switch or stay switched to the lithium charge profile. My converter is a WF-9855-AD Deck Mount Converter Charger that will put out 55 amps. Like you I've read lots of negative posts and seen videos complaining about these new "AD" converters. Since I'm stuck (at least for now) with our Auto Detect converter, I started doing more research on it and I stumbled upon a video put out by the National RV Training Academy that also includes a WFCO tech which talks all about the WFCO Auto Detect converters, how they work and even talks about the bad press that its received. I though you might find it interesting to watch.

The video can be found here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7MA5lKMf9A)

I watched the video and I found it comical when the WFCO Tech basically said that they developed the new AD units to make our lives easier! We no longer have to move the switch on the converter over to lithium! Yippee!!! Like that is such a huge effort and you'd probably only need to switch it once! I'd be willing to bet that the new AD units are just cheaper to build and that's why they switched. Then he went on to imply that because there is a switch on the old converters that a lot of people are just "button pushers" and will just for no reason flip the switch. Again that is ridiculous assumption, but the rest of the video is interesting. He basically said that the AD units can detect which type of battery is connected buy the way it takes its initial charge. Which is why they say that battery should be discharged before charging, so the converter gets enough time to "learn" the charge profile of the battery. The tech explained how the unit works and how other factors, like the distance between the battery and converter or the addition a solar charger can effect the charging. It was obvious from the video that WFCO is seriously concerned about all of the bad press that these new AD converters are receiving. All in all, I found the video interesting and though you'd might as well.

Lastly, if you find, as I suspect that you don't have one of these Auto Detect converters, then I would suggest that you switch to another manufacturer, like Progressive Dynamics.
    Some of the claims offered by the WFCO rep in the video do not match my experience. Last summer I accidentally completely discharged my 800 Ah battery bank. So according to the claims made in the video, the AD unit should have started up in lithium mode and run that way until my batteries stopped accepting full charging current. But that's not what happened. The unit charged at the full 55 amps as rated for a couple of hours and then dropped to about 20 amps. That seems consistent with an LA profile where voltage drops over time. So either the unit was always in LA mode or something happened to get it off full charge. Since my unit is not readily visible, I wasn't able to confirm which color the LED was that was shining. Needless to say, I'd much prefer to have the full 55 amps until the battery bank is fully charged.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast