User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Converter Fuse Question

We bought our first TT a few months ago so we are new to the life, new to the tech, and new to this forum. If I am asking an already addressed topic or posting in the wrong place, forgive me. Just chalk it up to new guy.

Anyway...My wife and I bought a GD Imagine XLS in September 2023. We love it, perfect for us. Been on a few short trips so far but have plans for longer trips - work seems to get in the way. Came back from a short trip last weekend. On Monday I noticed that my battery was not charging although I am connected to 30amp (I put in dedicated 30amp at my house). Starting "searching" the interwebs and from that I focused on the WFCO converter. Long story short, I replaced the 40amp reverse polarity fuse with a fresh one and voila! charging again.

My question is, why would this fuse go out? Only had the TT a few months. I didn't do anything to the electrical system. No battery changes etc. Simply went camping. Also, the bad fuse doesn't look bad. I know fuses and generally you can visually see the break. This fuse shows no break. It simply quit working. I am asking because if I am doing something wrong or perhaps I need to look for a larger problem someplace on the TT.

Also, thinking back, when leaving the park last weekend, I did one thing incorrect that I normally don't do. As I was told by the dealer and others, always kill the breaker switch on the park pole then remove the cord from the trailer. I had a brain fart and pulled the plug from the trailer before killing the power at the pole. Can that possibly have anything to do with it?

Thanks,
    Dennis

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Connections notoriously come loose on campers. I would check any connections, especially on the fuse holder, to make sure they are tight. Happy camping!
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only reliable way to test a fuse is with a meter. Visually, I have seen lots of bad fuses that 'looked' good.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to Electrical System and Wiring.

Have you made sure the circuit breaker for the converter is on in the power panel?

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a question about the converter. I wanted to turn off the converter so I tripped the breaker marked "CONVERTER". The fireplace went off not the converter. I've tripped about all the breakers and can't find the one for the converter. Does anyone else know which breaker goes to the converter?
    We have a 2022 341RDS.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Was the fireplace the only thing that turned off? Have you checked the voltage on the battery?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Was the fireplace the only thing that turned off? Have you checked the voltage on the battery?
    Battery voltage is good and as for as I know the fireplace was the only thing that turned off. I'm not sure if the converter also turned off. I just have to flip all the breakers until I find the right one, just thought someone else might have run into the same "miss labeled" breakers.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is just asking a question about the converter/shore power wiring. When you are hooked up to shore power, does the power flow into and then out of the converter? So if the converter breaker was tripped would the shore power still work to things like the fireplace? Or does the shore power bypass the converter, just supplying enough power to the converter to charge the batteries. I can follow electrical and work on it but I am not familiar with how the converter is wired in.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The converter supplies 12 VDC to the trailer. Technically, I guess, it charges the batteries, which supply the 12 VDC to the trailer. The fireplace is 120 VAC, so it will work if you are connected to shore power. If the converter breaker is off then the batteries wouldn't be charged.

Most, if not all, of your lights are 12 VDC. The microwave, television, fireplace, outlets, etc. are 120 VAC. The refrigerator may be a 120 VAC residential, a 12 VDC residential-style, or a 120 VAC/12 VDC/gas, or a 120 VAC/gas unit. The hot water heater may be gas/electric (120 VAC), gas only or electric only.

Now to complicate your original question, if you have a solar setup, that too charges your batteries.

Some things are connected directly to the batteries, such as smoke detectors, CO detectors, trailer brakes, etc. Those things will work as long as the batteries are connected.

When we got our trailer, one of the first things we did was to turn off every breaker but one and see what worked and what didn't. Then we turned that breaker off and turned on another one. Eventually we got through all of the breakers. Each outlet is marked with a colored dot, which corresponds to the colored dot by the breaker for that circuit.

Our converter plugs into an outlet on the back of the 120 VAC breaker panel. The original converter wasn't plugged in all the way, and the plug eventually came out. I plugged it back in and it stayed properly connected until I replaced it with one that can charge LiFePO4 batteries.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    The converter supplies 12 VDC to the trailer. Technically, I guess, it charges the batteries, which supply the 12 VDC to the trailer. The fireplace is 120 VAC, so it will work if you are connected to shore power. If the converter breaker is off then the batteries wouldn't be charged.

Most, if not all, of your lights are 12 VDC. The microwave, television, fireplace, outlets, etc. are 120 VAC. The refrigerator may be a 120 VAC residential, a 12 VDC residential-style, or a 120 VAC/12 VDC/gas, or a 120 VAC/gas unit. The hot water heater may be gas/electric (120 VAC), gas only or electric only.

Now to complicate your original question, if you have a solar setup, that too charges your batteries.

Some things are connected directly to the batteries, such as smoke detectors, CO detectors, trailer brakes, etc. Those things will work as long as the batteries are connected.

When we got our trailer, one of the first things we did was to turn off every breaker but one and see what worked and what didn't. Then we turned that breaker off and turned on another one. Eventually we got through all of the breakers. Each outlet is marked with a colored dot, which corresponds to the colored dot by the breaker for that circuit.

Our converter plugs into an outlet on the back of the 120 VAC breaker panel. The original converter wasn't plugged in all the way, and the plug eventually came out. I plugged it back in and it stayed properly connected until I replaced it with one that can charge LiFePO4 batteries.
    Thanks for the response. You did a good job of describing how the power system works in an rv but it does not appear that my question was answered. Is the shore power directed into the converter and then to the rest of the rv? Or is the shore power directed to something like a buss bar that the converter is wired to, making the converter a recipient of the shore power rather than the focal point of the incoming shore power? I have not seen my converter. Taking the basement wall out of my fifth wheel to get to the converter is an absolute pain so I have not done it just for fun. I am waiting until I have no other choice and then I will tackle that beast and see what is back there.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast