User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    2024 Imagine 2500RL 2" Hitch not enough clearance

    Just got a new 2024 2500RL. Was excited because they finally included a hitch on the rear instead of the cheap bumper. Unfortunately, it is mounted flush with the rear of the trailer. With my Kuat Transfer V2 (RV rated) bike rack the bikes sit so close to the trailer that you have to remove the handlebars. Other racks sit even closer. Has anyone used a hitch extender with these? I know those reduce the weight by 50% but even with my e-bikes and the rack it will be under 150lbs which would be 50% of the weight the hitch is rated for per Grand Design.

    Any other ideas to solve this?

    I am extremely frustrated with Grand Design for this blatant disregard for how they mounted the hitch. They added it because all the customers wanted it for bikes, but you still can't put bikes back there. Why is it so hard to bring bikes camping with you? Did not have this problem on my Rockwood campers. Those held the bikes with ease using the factory hitch.

  2. #2
    Site Team xrated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Location
    "Murvul", TN
    Posts
    3,230
    Mentioned
    131 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by e-diculous View Post
    Just got a new 2024 2500RL. Was excited because they finally included a hitch on the rear instead of the cheap bumper. Unfortunately, it is mounted flush with the rear of the trailer. With my Kuat Transfer V2 (RV rated) bike rack the bikes sit so close to the trailer that you have to remove the handlebars. Other racks sit even closer. Has anyone used a hitch extender with these? I know those reduce the weight by 50% but even with my e-bikes and the rack it will be under 150lbs which would be 50% of the weight the hitch is rated for per Grand Design.

    Any other ideas to solve this?

    I am extremely frustrated with Grand Design for this blatant disregard for how they mounted the hitch. They added it because all the customers wanted it for bikes, but you still can't put bikes back there. Why is it so hard to bring bikes camping with you? Did not have this problem on my Rockwood campers. Those held the bikes with ease using the factory hitch.
    I'm not familiar with the hitch that you have. I've got a Momentum Toy Hauler that I installed a 2" receiver hitch on and it too is basically flush with the back of the trailer. I use a HyperAx brand RV rated hitch and we have no issues with clearance. We have two ebikes, one of which is almost 50 lbs and the other is closer to 60 lbs, and no issues with clearance or load capacity. I went with a full frame mount receiver though, and it's a Class III and 500 lbs for the tongue weight.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

    "If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

  3. #3
    Site Team Second Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Wherever...
    Posts
    8,806
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You seem to be making several rash generalizations. Blatant disregard? Everyone wants the hitch for a bike rack? Our hitch receiver is mounted flush and I use an extension with a rise to get the bike rack further back from the trailer wall and higher off the ground. It's a minor thing in the big scheme of things.

    Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

  4. #4
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue with the extension is that all the racks I have looked at said you can't use them with an extension on a travel trailer. What rack and extension are you using and what has been your experience with it? Also, what is the weight of the bikes you are carrying?

    My thought is that there is some wiggle room in what the manufacturers say they will warranty and what you can actually carry. For example, Kuat only has two racks that are certified for travel trailers, but I have seen people with other Kuat racks on trailers for many years with no issues.

    Appreciate you sharing your experience.

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2023
    Posts
    3
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I'm not familiar with the hitch that you have. I've got a Momentum Toy Hauler that I installed a 2" receiver hitch on and it too is basically flush with the back of the trailer. I use a HyperAx brand RV rated hitch and we have no issues with clearance. We have two ebikes, one of which is almost 50 lbs and the other is closer to 60 lbs, and no issues with clearance or load capacity. I went with a full frame mount receiver though, and it's a Class III and 500 lbs for the tongue weight.
    Which rack did you get and how close do your handlebars come to the back of the trailer? Experience with the rack?
    I saw some pictures on Amazon of their racks and people were tying rags to the handlebars because they touched the side of the trailer.

  6. #6
    Site Team Second Chance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Wherever...
    Posts
    8,806
    Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by e-diculous View Post
    The issue with the extension is that all the racks I have looked at said you can't use them with an extension on a travel trailer. What rack and extension are you using and what has been your experience with it? Also, what is the weight of the bikes you are carrying?

    My thought is that there is some wiggle room in what the manufacturers say they will warranty and what you can actually carry. For example, Kuat only has two racks that are certified for travel trailers, but I have seen people with other Kuat racks on trailers for many years with no issues.

    Appreciate you sharing your experience.
    Don't know who you're asking, but here's what we're using (eight years, tens of thousands of miles):

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

  7. #7
    Site Team traveldawg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Florida Space Coast
    Posts
    3,798
    Blog Entries
    1
    Mentioned
    93 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by e-diculous View Post
    Just got a new 2024 2500RL. Was excited because they finally included a hitch on the rear instead of the cheap bumper. Unfortunately, it is mounted flush with the rear of the trailer. With my Kuat Transfer V2 (RV rated) bike rack the bikes sit so close to the trailer that you have to remove the handlebars. Other racks sit even closer. Has anyone used a hitch extender with these? I know those reduce the weight by 50% but even with my e-bikes and the rack it will be under 150lbs which would be 50% of the weight the hitch is rated for per Grand Design.

    Any other ideas to solve this?

    I am extremely frustrated with Grand Design for this blatant disregard for how they mounted the hitch. They added it because all the customers wanted it for bikes, but you still can't put bikes back there. Why is it so hard to bring bikes camping with you? Did not have this problem on my Rockwood campers. Those held the bikes with ease using the factory hitch.
    I suppose I can understand the "beef" here with the location of the receiver; but "...blatant disregard..."?. I thought just about everybody mounts it close to the rear (but maybe not Rockwood?); even cars have their receiver mounted flush and under the bumper, but cars have the advantage of a slanted back window for more handle bar clearance I suppose.

    I have this rack and it includes an extension but I still have to rotate the handle bars on the bike closest to the camper. Life goes on.

    Maybe you can have a welding shop extend the hitch to your liking.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods


  8. #8
    Rolling Along RV Sailor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2020
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by e-diculous View Post
    Just got a new 2024 2500RL. Was excited because they finally included a hitch on the rear instead of the cheap bumper. Unfortunately, it is mounted flush with the rear of the trailer. With my Kuat Transfer V2 (RV rated) bike rack the bikes sit so close to the trailer that you have to remove the handlebars. Other racks sit even closer. Has anyone used a hitch extender with these? I know those reduce the weight by 50% but even with my e-bikes and the rack it will be under 150lbs which would be 50% of the weight the hitch is rated for per Grand Design.

    Any other ideas to solve this?

    I am extremely frustrated with Grand Design for this blatant disregard for how they mounted the hitch. They added it because all the customers wanted it for bikes, but you still can't put bikes back there. Why is it so hard to bring bikes camping with you? Did not have this problem on my Rockwood campers. Those held the bikes with ease using the factory hitch.
    Lots of hysterionics. Blantent disregard ….really?
    This issue is easily overcome with an extension.
    Personally we have folding e bike which go in our truck bed easily or inside the camper. I don’t like having extra weight whipping at the end of the trailer.

    How heavy is each e bike? Mine is 60 lbs each. That plus a hitch would add at least 150 to the rear. In the totality of things if this “frustrates” you what will happen when a real issue occurs.
    Donna and Dave
    Annapolis, Maryland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL / Dodge Ram Longhorn 2500 6.4 Hemi
    350 W Newapower Solar: 3000 Victron Inverter/ Charger: Firefly Oasis carbon foam AGM

  9. #9
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Oct 2023
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    22
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RV Sailor View Post
    Lots of hysterionics. Blantent disregard ….really?
    This issue is easily overcome with an extension.
    Personally we have folding e bike which go in our truck bed easily or inside the camper. I don’t like having extra weight whipping at the end of the trailer.

    How heavy is each e bike? Mine is 60 lbs each. That plus a hitch would add at least 150 to the rear. In the totality of things if this “frustrates” you what will happen when a real issue occurs.
    I get the frustration with the hitch. Travel trailers are not perfect. Love our 2023 2970RL. Our last trip rained all day and we sat in the recliners with the fireplace going, the TV with 38 over the air channels taking turns napping and bonding with each other. Best trip yet as we made the best of the weather. Just enjoyed each other’s company away from the rat race.

    That’s what we do with our glamper. Enjoy unplugging from our busy lives.

    Enjoy
    2023 Imagine 2970 RL
    Towed by 2018 F-150 5.0L with trailer tow

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.