User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another new member who needs help

Hubby and I have full-timed for 12 years, and 6 years in our 2017 GD reflection 315 rlts. I broke my leg in a bad fall 3 months ago and am just beginning to put a small amount of weight on it. My physical therapist suggests we add 2 grab bars, 1 inside and 1 outside just above the original outside grab bar. Any ideas how to best accomplish this?
    Thanks
    Rich and Judy
    2017 GD reflection 315 rlts
    2011 CheVy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

Sorry I didn't mention it but we added an extended grab bar when Rich had his knee replaced and it does help but it will probably be 6 more weeks before I can put full weight on it and I'd like to see if we can get the 2 bars opposite each other above the longer bar.
    Last edited by possumladyRVs; 12-31-2023 at 10:48 AM.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by possumladyRVs View Post
    Hubby and I have full-timed for 12 years, and 6 years in our 2017 GD reflection 315 rlts. I broke my leg in a bad fall 3 months ago and am just beginning to put a small amount of weight on it. My physical therapist suggests we add 2 grab bars, 1 inside and 1 outside just above the original outside grab bar. Any ideas how to best accomplish this?
    Thanks
    Rich and Judy
    In my experience with grab bar installs (have placed several in our stick built bathrooms for elderly parents) is they take a "good" anchoring point (solid wood or steel) to be of long term and weight bearing use. Unfortinately, RV walls are very limited IMO for such support. They do make extended RV hand rails which may work entering your RV that appear to be more stable and support more weight.

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car.../dp/B00IACGK90
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by possumladyRVs View Post
    Thanks
    Rich and Judy
    Welcome to the forum Judy, glad to hear you've had a good time in your Reflection. So sorry to hear about your fall, may you recover quickly. While my wife (also Judy) was recovering from knee surgery, we added a handrail (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XPHX815/) which really helped her both getting in and out of the coach.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Welcome to the forum Judy, glad to hear you've had a good time in your Reflection. So sorry to hear about your fall, may you recover quickly. While my wife (also Judy) was recovering from knee surgery, we added a handrail (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XPHX815/) which really helped her both getting in and out of the coach.
    Are you still happy with this Lippert solid step handrail, @Soundsailor? I am in need of something more than the OEM short handrail on my Solitude, and this one looks to be the most stable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lippert handrail.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	49750

A simple upgrade would be the Stromberg Carlson model. I'm concerned it will still be wobbly, like the current one, but moreso with the added length/leverage.

Name:	stromberg handrail.png 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	49751

There is the Morryde Safe-T-rail, but its reviewers mention it too suffers from side-to-side wobble.

Name:	Morryde handrail.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	49752
    2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3, 33" Toyo AT2, Transgo, 6.0 trans cooler, exhaust brake, extended overload spring bumpstops, Bilstein 4600, Hydra/PHP, FORScan, billet 7/7 turbo wheel, Adrenaline HPOP, EBC yellow stuff brake pads
    2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan Brakerite actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWSTGDS View Post
    Are you still happy with this Lippert solid step handrail, @Soundsailor? I am in need of something more than the OEM short handrail on my Solitude, and this one looks to be the most stable.

Name:	lippert handrail.png 
Size:	117.2 KB 
ID:	49750

A simple upgrade would be the Stromberg Carlson model. I'm concerned it will still be wobbly, like the current one, but moreso with the added length/leverage.

Name:	stromberg handrail.png 
Size:	247.4 KB 
ID:	49751

There is the Morryde Safe-T-rail, but its reviewers mention it too suffers from side-to-side wobble.

Name:	Morryde handrail.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	299.3 KB 
ID:	49752
    Yes, we are very happy with the Lippert handrail. It attaches directly to the stairs so it is very stable. Be sure to determine if it works with your stairs, it does not work with all models.
    Stephen and Judy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just a thought...on the inside, I wonder if you could install just a hand grab like the older style ones they used on the outside? I would think there would be enough aluminum frame to attach it to next to the door and you could hang onto it as you make your first step down until you can leverage the outside rail?

https://itcshopnow.com/products/rv-m...All%20Products
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would it help to install one of these on the door? I use it for stability getting in and out of the RV.

https://a.co/d/6B7ghna
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. We tried the one that fastened to the stairs but it rubbed on the doorway so ended up with this https://a.co/d/6YN9wBh which is similar to the original but longer There is a pic in an earlier reply. We did add the bar to the screen door and it is a great addition. I'd still like a grab bar on the inside (on the latch side) because due to using a walker for so long I've developed both carpal and cubital tunnel syndrome in my right hand and my grip is very weak.
    From what I've read, it sound as though that location should be strong enough.
    Thanks again to you all.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to Mods and DIY.

Another vote for the Morryde Safe-T-rail, here. We installed one last year and are SO much happier with it than any previous attempts at bettering the situation. The main issue with putting anything sturdy on the other side of the entryway is that it will not be accessible when the door is open.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Thread moved to Mods and DIY.

Another vote for the Morryde Safe-T-rail, here. We installed one last year and are SO much happier with it than any previous attempts at bettering the situation. The main issue with putting anything sturdy on the other side of the entryway is that it will not be accessible when the door is open.

Rob
    Looks like a good choice for someone who doesn't have the Solid Step stairs.
    Stephen and Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast