User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    NeilRach04

Full Timing Plans & Questions

DW & I have begun to plan for our full timing lifestyle. We plan to begin around spring 2017. We would be just over & just under 41 years of age (7 months difference between us). We know we will have to work our way around the country, as we are not independently wealthy. However, we believe that this will be a wonderful way to enjoy the country, meet great people, and not have to wait until we are 55-60 yrs old. Not that we feel that is too old, we just want to do this sooner. We hope to have a decent little reserve fund when we begin, as well as retirement accounts in a fair enough spot to grow untouched for the following 19-20 years. We have done at least a years worth of research about living full timing, thus far, and believe we will do well and love it. We would really appreciate hearing from anyone that is already full timing, or planning to full time, and doesn't mind sharing their story...

1) How old were you when you began to live the full time lifestyle?
    2) Did you absolutely have to work to get by, or were you retired?
    3) If you had to work, what type of work did you find, was it enjoyable, and how difficult was it making ends meet living this lifestyle?
    4) Do you typically stay put for extended periods of time, or are you more apt to move every coupe days or weeks?
    5) What do you miss the most about the "traditional" lifestyle?
    6) What do you like the most about full timing?
    Last edited by NeilRach04; 05-21-2015 at 05:44 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am kinda in the same boat as you guys. I'm also planning on going full time in 2017-18. I may need to work here and there, but if I live frugally, I should be able to do it. I just got my truck last week, a 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie DRW with cummins. End of next year I'll hopefully get my 369RL. Then it's finish remodeling the house, sell it, and hit the road!! Gonna follow this cause I'm curious to see the answers to your questions. Good luck!!
    Devin & Roberta & Bizee (Border Collie)
    2015 Ram Laramie Cummins w/Aisin 4.10 CC LB 4x4
    Titan 55 Gal midship fuel tank
    2018 384GK Solitude
    B & W Companion Hitch
    4 - 165 watt solar panels, 2800 watt Magnum inverter
    Blue Sky 30/24il controller, 4 FullRiver 6V 250AH Batts

NeilRach04
    Thanks for responding Devin. DW and I are pretty frugal as well. Unfortunately, due to starting as young as we plan, we will have to work no matter how frugal we are. Especially when you throw in health care for the both of us, and that isn't exactly low cost.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Take a look at www.rv-dreams.com website. Howard and Linda started full timing when they were 42 years old and have been doing it for 10 years now. They have a lot of information and advice on full timing.

Steve

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check out Escapees RV Network and (as mentioned above by Steve) RV-Dreams.com. These are both both forums and organizations geared toward full-timing. My wife and I just attended a week-long educational rally offered by RV-Dreams and found it to be invaluable. Escapees offers a membership with lots of support and information.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My immediate thoughts are do you have children? I'm not so big on the nomadic lifestyle for those with children. Kids of all ages need structure in their lives and a place to call home.

My other question is do you both have marketable job skills and capable of making a very good living? It certainly helps. For example, I have a neighbor that's a steam fitter with a large fifth wheel he takes it on out of town jobs. He could afford full time RV'ing with great earning potential in many places.

We retired relatively young, but cannot go full time RV'ing due to having two grandchildren to assist in raising. Don't believe it when they say you can live on 70% of what you made when you had a house and other obligations. Vehicle insurance, RV insurance and health insurance takes a big chunk of a normal income.

Don't overlook that we're in very strange times, with interest rates at a net zero and the stock market at an all time high. I'd hate to try to start building a retirement nest egg in these times, and the next 10 or 20 years could be just as difficult. Remember that if you live a $50K lifestyle, you'll need $1,250,000 in retirements to keep from outliving your money. And we never know when inflation rears its ugly head. Will you be able to 100% fund a retirement program while full time RV'ing? And will you be paying into Social Security enough to get a decent income at age 66?

We've been weekend RV'ers since 1995, and a stable income allowed me to build equity in real estate, 401K's and IRA's. I never desired to work until age 80--or even age 60. And my family is also very well provided for.

I hope I've given you some thought starters. In life, we cannot just think about today, but we also have to plan for and execute a long term lifetime plan.

NeilRach04
    Thanks all for the responses. It is really good information and insight. We have already checked out RV-Dreams.com and Escapees RV Network, among many, many other sights. We have been doing tons and tons of research, and will continue to do so, until we leave, and once on the road. We believe we are forever learning.

Our main reason for this post was that we were interested in hearing from others about their personal experiences, if they were willing to share. WE are always looking for new insight, and try to listen and learn from other peoples experiences.

As for our story, we have one child that is now 21 yrs old. No more children, nor grandchildren, hopefully for the foreseeable future. We want to enjoy our lives while traveling, and still being relatively young. We have no misconceptions of the cost of living, which is why we have been investing and saving into multiple investment tools for many years. We know there is plenty of risk in today's economic times, as well as that there are no guarantees. This is also why we plan to have a solid reserve to fall back on, outside of retirement streams. We would just like to hear some other peoples experiences, based on the questions listed above, in post #1.

Thanks to anyone willing to share!!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    DW and I have been 'extended living' in our RV for 4 separate periods over the last 6 years. First time out was for a year, then a year and a half then a couple of 5 month trips. We started this in our mid 40s. The first year was meant as a one time thing to see the country and our National Parks. We enjoyed it so much we have made it our lifetime goal to become actual fulltimers, hopefully sell the house next spring. My biggest surprise was getting used living in that (relatively)small RV. My DW and I had done plenty of tent camping trips before, we are best friends but living in those close quarters 24/7 takes some getting used to. Every time we go out, I have to relearn this. Once I realize no matter how far I am down our small hallway in the RV, if she is coming the other way, I have to backup It is stupid things like this that add up. But once you get by that, it is the best lifestyle I can imagine.

With that said, answers below.
    1) How old were you when you began to live the full time lifestyle? early 40s
    2) Did you absolutely have to work to get by, or were you retired? Did not work first couple trips but have been recently and am currently working.
    3) If you had to work, what type of work did you find, was it enjoyable, and how difficult was it making ends meet living this lifestyle? I am able to do my job over the internet. plenty of opportunities for work-camping if that is what you want to do. Have met many fellow RVers doing this, some happy some not.
    4) Do you typically stay put for extended periods of time, or are you more apt to move every coupe days or weeks? First year we rarely stayed put for more than a few days. Yosemite and Yellowstone were the longest stays at 10 days each. The longer we do this travelling thing, the longer we tend to stay in the same spot. Keep in mind during the winter months, there are not as many warm places to go as one would think. Sorta limited to the southern parts of FL, TX, AZ and CA.
    5) What do you miss the most about the "traditional" lifestyle? My workshop/tools and a good long shower.
    6) What do you like the most about full timing? Love the constant change. We get bored at home, especially if we we are not working full time. We both love exploring new locations. During the first year of travel, we were going from Yellowstone to Rocky Mt NP. Too long of a drive for one day, we picked a spot in the middle to stop for a night. We ended up having so much fun in this little town we had never heard of we stayed another day...then another etc. Ended up staying a 5 nights which was alot for us during that trip. Got us thinking how many other places we had never heard of that were like that, so we plan on finding some of them over the next few years

2016 380TH - To be delivered in June!
    www.wherearekimandchris.com
    Last edited by KimandChris; 05-25-2015 at 08:08 AM.

NeilRach04
    Kim & Chris,

Thanks for sharing!! You're story gives us some inspiration. It makes us feel better to hear others have managed to go full-timing in their 40's, as we plan to do. We poked around your blog a bit, and it looks like you all have had some amazing adventures. We know we will have to work to continue full-timing for the long term, however, we still hope for enough time to enjoy our travels as well.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Neil & Rachael,

If you are looking for travel ideas, be sure you check out the 'Original Blog', that was our first year where we did the most traveling. You get to it from the button on top of the current blog page. I would highly recommend NOT working for your first year if you can swing it. The enthusiasm for travel is the highest then and there is just so much to see in this country of ours.
    2016 380TH
    2014 Ram 3500 dually
    KTM 950A, BMW 650GS
    Abusing the National Parks pass, 33 national parks in 11 months during our first year on the road - http://www.wherearekimandchris.com/blog/
    Current travels - http://www.wherearekimandchris.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast