User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know the question has to do with length but I doubt that will matter much. With your 1/2 ton Ram, you will be limited by its payload capacity, so tongue weight matters, and will be your determining factor, not length. I think when you look at the actual tongue weight that people measure with their 30-32' rigs, you may be over your payload. The specs for tongue weight listed on the Grand Design website will be low. Worst case scenario for trailer shopping might be 15% of the trailer gvw.
    Last edited by JPS350; 01-28-2024 at 05:56 PM.
    2021 Imagine 22mle

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As someone who went through this only a few years ago I was amazed how even a 7700 pound 2800 BH of around 30 or so feet was way too much trailer for my 1500… i’ll explain why.

I certainly had no issues, towing it. The Hemi V8 laughed at the weight, payload was definitely a little low, but still handled it without drama. Length wasn’t too bad with proper foldout towing mirrors, which thankfully mine had, though I prefer the wider style of some other manufacturers.

The dealbreaker was the brakes. They simply are not big enough to handle this amount of weight on a regular basis. If you don’t mind changing pads and rotors often go for it. But I was blown away at how quickly we went through brakes and my camping buddy who also had a 1500 at the time and way too big of a trailer for it went flying through an intersection with full brakes on. After that we both moved up to 3500 Diesels and now the brakes are monstrous.

Sure we could’ve upgraded parts on the 1500 but things tow so much better with a bigger truck.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post
    As someone who went through this only a few years ago I was amazed how even a 7700 pound 2800 BH of around 30 or so feet was way too much trailer for my 1500… i’ll explain why.

I certainly had no issues, towing it. The Hemi V8 laughed at the weight, payload was definitely a little low, but still handled it without drama. Length wasn’t too bad with proper foldout towing mirrors, which thankfully mine had, though I prefer the wider style of some other manufacturers.

The dealbreaker was the brakes. They simply are not big enough to handle this amount of weight on a regular basis. If you don’t mind changing pads and rotors often go for it. But I was blown away at how quickly we went through brakes and my camping buddy who also had a 1500 at the time and way too big of a trailer for it went flying through an intersection with full brakes on. After that we both moved up to 3500 Diesels and now the brakes are monstrous.

Sure we could’ve upgraded parts on the 1500 but things tow so much better with a bigger truck.
    Thank you, makes sense.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It seems to me that owners that report the most towing issues are those with longer TT's and 1/2 ton trucks. Lots of band aides needed.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thorvald View Post

I agree with your comments on the brakes. Although it was not that bad on the Tundra, it did eat brakes a lot faster and the stopping distance was not always great.

Oldcow
    2023 F450
    2021 397THR
    2018 DR650
    2004 Kawasaki ZRX 1224R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you had issues with your brakes you didn’t have trailer brake controller set up properly.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FjClay View Post
    If you had issues with your brakes you didn’t have trailer brake controller set up properly.
    Ah armchair quarterbacks…. Gotta love the Internet.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123