Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tread Seperation

My 2015 303 is less than a year old with 1300 miles on it. Had tread separation on two of the Westlake tires this weekend. First no warning, lost tire, ruined rim. Will fix damage myself without waiting weeks for dealer repair. Second tire lost air overnight after first tire gone and wouldn't hold air afterwards. All five Westlakes replaced with Goodyear Marathons, ST225/75R15. You can tell by the ride the Marathons are a much more robust tire than the Westlakes no matter what load range the Chinese stamp on them. No TPMS but I check the tires before each trip. Am going to put the TPMS on that I previously had on my diesel pusher and I have been RV'ing most of my life, over 70, so no preaching or advise is desired. Just telling you of my experience so you will have the information making your own decisions. Can't understand why Grand Design would want to claim to make a quality product and not put the very best tires on it, nor why they use the Furion stuff. When they get it free and very cheap it should tell them that it is crap. I will never again trust anyone or anything that has Chinese tires on it.
    Frank & Linda
    2015 303 #2048, 2015 F-350 FX4 Dually

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hate to tell you, but those G Ys are made in China also. Hope they work out for you!
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Frank & Linda

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good info... I was mostly responding to the general statement below.

Quote Originally Posted by ranchdog View Post
    I will never again trust anyone or anything that has Chinese tires on it.
    I truly hope the GYs work out cuz I'm gunna need some new tires someday.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, you have replaced the Westlake 10 ply LRE rated at 2830 lbs capacity @ 80 psi, with Marathon 8 ply LRD rated at 2540 lbs capacity @ 65 psi ? . . . or is there a new Marathon E rated tire ?

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Rob, that is exactly what I did. There are no new Marathons but after my experience, I wouldn't have Westlakes on my trailer for any reason and I don't care what they rate them at I don't trust their rating. I will never hit the max GVWR so I'm not worried about the 175 lbs. I am under them max GVWR. The main factor is that I trust the Goodyear tires as I have used them for years with no problems, certainly not tread separation at 1300 miles. If I do have a problem I'll be happy to let everyone know and have egg on my face but I'm ready to bet that will never happen.
    Frank & Linda

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Frank,

I appreciate your experience with GY Marathons . . . this is good to know. I don't have your depth of experience.
    I was kind of looking at Maxxis ST tires. They have an E rated 15" tire. Made in Thailand . . . which their sales guy tells me is better than China. Do you have any experience or thoughts on Maxxis ?

Thanks
    Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no experience with Maxxis and for some reason none of the Discount Tire Stores in my area have them in stock but I read good things about them and probably would use them next, but I am curious as to why such a large tire change does not have them in stock when they are a recommended dealer. Probably because they can make a couple of more dollars on another brand. I am reading lots of horror stories about GY Marathons even though GY says they are made to their standards. If the GY's have problems I will post on here and will be deciding whether I going to Maxxis E's or upgrading to 16" with all of its extra expense or going to a 337. Don't have time nor temperament for tire problems.
    Frank & Linda

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The date of the article is 2009. Just sayin. Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to say it, but the Goodyear Marathons are one of the tires most reported online to blow out. I believe that it's because Goodyear sold their souls to the Chinese's low prices and because there are so many of them on the road.

I compared the Westlakes to my Bridgestone Duravis R250s, and they were simply not in the same class. My R250's were twice as thick and 20 lbs. each heavier. The Michelin LT/E ribbed tire and the Goodyear G614's are the other tires to buy.

The Maxxis M8008's are the best 15" and 16" ST tires you can buy.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast