User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Current Tennessee Residents

Wife and I are considering moving to Tennessee when I retire.
    This won't be for a couple of years but we wanted to start looking into things now so we can be prepared when the time comes.

For those of you that reside there I have a few questions that you maybe able to answer.

1. Are there counties we should avoid
    2. Are there counties that we should put a the top of our list
    3. Any real estate agents or companies that you recommend
    4. Do you feel the overall cost of living is reasonable (cost of housing, utilities, cost of health care, cost of vehicle insurance)
    5. Overall do you like living there or you can't wait to move.

Thanks. All responses are appreciated as well as any information you think might be relevant in us making a decision.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    Wife and I are considering moving to Tennessee when I retire.
    This won't be for a couple of years but we wanted to start looking into things now so we can be prepared when the time comes.

For those of you that reside there I have a few questions that you maybe able to answer.

1. Are there counties we should avoid
    2. Are there counties that we should put a the top of our list
    3. Any real estate agents or companies that you recommend
    4. Do you feel the overall cost of living is reasonable (cost of housing, utilities, cost of health care, cost of vehicle insurance)
    5. Overall do you like living there or you can't wait to move.

Thanks. All responses are appreciated as well as any information you think might be relevant in us making a decision.
    1. Of course there are, it's like any other state....good places and not so good places
    2. I'd focus on E. TN. TN is basically comprised of three regions, and that is reflected upon with our state flag. West TN, Middle TN, and E. TN. I'm in east TN just south of Knoxville by about 30 miles or so
    3. No recommendations from me on that part of it. We've been here since 2006, so kind of out of the loop on Real Estate companies.
    4. All of the items you mention in Question #4 are very reasonable in my opinion, and that is based on my experience in E. TN
    5. We both love it here and have zero intention of moving. Every once in a while, I wish that these cold snaps that happen, were a little milder, but overall, the winters are not bad, and most of the time here in "The Valley" area around Knoxville, the summer heat and humidity is not bad either. If you go further south, like into Georgia/Alabama the summer temperatures and especially the humidity are sometimes almost unbearable..
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    1. Of course there are, it's like any other state....good places and not so good places
    2. I'd focus on E. TN. TN is basically comprised of three regions, and that is reflected upon with our state flag. West TN, Middle TN, and E. TN. I'm in east TN just south of Knoxville by about 30 miles or so
    3. No recommendations from me on that part of it. We've been here since 2006, so kind of out of the loop on Real Estate companies.
    4. All of the items you mention in Question #4 are very reasonable in my opinion, and that is based on my experience in E. TN
    5. We both love it here and have zero intention of moving. Every once in a while, I wish that these cold snaps that happen, were a little milder, but overall, the winters are not bad, and most of the time here in "The Valley" area around Knoxville, the summer heat and humidity is not bad either. If you go further south, like into Georgia/Alabama the summer temperatures and especially the humidity are sometimes almost unbearable..
    We really liked the Knoxville area and its still number 1 on our list of places if/when we leave fulltiming, and has no State Income tax. Of course states that don't have state income tax have to make it up somewhere, so sometimes the sales tax is higher. When we were visiting there costs did not seem to be any more expensive. Don't know about real estate or availability or quality of health insurance. Winters I think could be hit and miss and can get cold but nowhere near as cold as where our kids live in northern Indiana or southern Ohio.
    We stayed at Racoon Valley, Escapee's affiliated RV park in Heiskell just north of Knoxville and liked it a lot and far enough away from the tourist area. Visited Rocky Top and I still have that song stuck in my brain!! We really enjoy driving into the Smoke Mountains. We have also visited far East TN Bristol on the boarder and have very good friends that live there. They told us they shop in Virginia because it's cheaper.
    Tami's GFather was born in Bulls Gap East TN and we took the time to visit there. Really nice area but somewhat isolated way out in the country but used to be a real bustling place during the height of the railroad passenger train days. We have also visited Murfreesboro several years ago near Nashville and found it pleasant at that time.

West TN - I lived for a very short while in Millington just north of Memphis and didn't like it. My sister lives in Jackson and she seems to like it but I don't think I would.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-07-2024 at 10:02 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My memory of living in TN back in the 70's and 80's was the humidity especially around any of the rivers. Lived in Nashville and Clarksville, and remembered the sweltering heat during the summer months. Heat Category 4 & 5 was common in those days.... can only imagine its still that way now. BTW, while at Ft Campbell heard of lots of troops suffer from heat stroke during summer training - worked on AG row where readiness was recorded for the 101st.

So if you like it hot and humid.... TN is for you. However...will say that of all the states my dad and I were stationed at while during our respective military service, TN was one of my favorites due to the the people who lived there. South Eastern KY would be another.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 02-07-2024 at 10:15 AM.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    My memory of living in TN back in the 70's and 80's was the humidity especially around any of the rivers. Lived in Nashville and Clarksville, and remembered the sweltering heat during the summer months. Heat Category 4 & 5 was common in those days.... can only imagine its still that way now. BTW, while at Ft Campbell heard of lots of troops suffer from heat stroke during summer training - worked on AG row where readiness was recorded for the 101st.

So if you like it hot and humid.... TN is for you. However...will say that of all the states my dad and I were stationed at while during our respective military service, TN was one of my favorites due to the the people who lived there. South Eastern KY would be another.
    Read closely at what I replied about the TN Valley area. The humidity is not nearly as bad there as it is some of the other areas of the state. And when you get up to the Clarksville area/Ft. Campbell, that is definitely not in the same league as the weather here. I have a little bit of time spent in the Nashville area, but it didn't strike me as being too much more heat/humidity than E. TN where we are. Don't get me wrong, it can and does get hot and humid here sometimes, but it's not a normal every summer, every year occurrence like it is in some other places. I was originally from the St. Louis, MO area of the country, over in IL and just across the river from St. Louis. You wanna talk about hot and humid.....there and when you get down into Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, even Florida if you are inland at all.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    We really liked the Knoxville area and its still number 1 on our list of places if/when we leave fulltiming, and has no State Income tax. Of course states that don't have state income tax have to make it up somewhere, so sometimes the sales tax is higher. When we were visiting there costs did not seem to be any more expensive. Don't know about real estate or availability or quality of health insurance. Winters I think could be hit and miss and can get cold but nowhere near as cold as where our kids live in northern Indiana or southern Ohio.
    We stayed at Racoon Valley, Escapee's affiliated RV park in Heiskell just north of Knoxville and liked it a lot and far enough away from the tourist area. Visited Rocky Top and I still have that song stuck in my brain!! We really enjoy driving into the Smoke Mountains. We have also visited far East TN Bristol on the boarder and have very good friends that live there. They told us they shop in Virginia because it's cheaper.
    Tami's GFather was born in Bulls Gap East TN and we took the time to visit there. Really nice area but somewhat isolated way out in the country but used to be a real bustling place during the height of the railroad passenger train days. We have also visited Murfreesboro several years ago near Nashville and found it pleasant at that time.

West TN - I lived for a very short while in Millington just north of Memphis and didn't like it. My sister lives in Jackson and she seems to like it but I don't think I would.
    There is a Racoon Mountain campground on the western side of Chattanooga that we've stayed at before, but not recently. I had not heard of the Racoon Valley campground in Heiskell. When we want to something Smoky Mountain National Park related, we usually stay in Townsend, on the east side/peaceful side of the Smoky Mountains and the Park.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Read closely at what I replied about the TN Valley area. The humidity is not nearly as bad there as it is some of the other areas of the state. And when you get up to the Clarksville area/Ft. Campbell, that is definitely not in the same league as the weather here. I have a little bit of time spent in the Nashville area, but it didn't strike me as being too much more heat/humidity than E. TN where we are. Don't get me wrong, it can and does get hot and humid here sometimes, but it's not a normal every summer, every year occurrence like it is in some other places. I was originally from the St. Louis, MO area of the country, over in IL and just across the river from St. Louis. You wanna talk about hot and humid.....there and when you get down into Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, Louisiana, even Florida if you are inland at all.
    Attached URL will give you some idea that there's not much difference (12%) on average of the TN cities listed. But, oh yah.... not nearly as humid as south of Chattanooga and MO - especially near the Ozarks where I currently abide for the last 35 yrs.

http://www.usa.com/rank/tennessee-st...-city-rank.htm
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, sounds like several of you have had similar experiences to us. We visited eastern TN a couple of years ago and loved it. We, too, stayed at the Escapees Park, Raccoon Valley, in Heiskell. Some of the long-term renters were a bit messy for our likes, and the site we were on for that couple of weeks was barely big enough for us, but, boy, did we enjoy the time there. Lots to see and do.

Be aware that, because of the hills and rivers, roads aren't all that straight. The point that is two miles away as the crow flies may well be 20 miles away as the truck drives.

Allen and Denise, I'd suggest visiting the area with your RV. Poke around various areas and see what appeals to you. Find the local library and see if there is a local history person to talk to. You aren't necessarily interested in the history, but such a person is likely to be a long-time resident and can give you much more information that Real Estate Agents can about the area. Have a list of what your particular needs and wants are. You don't necessarily have to mention those, but as you talk you can maybe get a feel for what is and is not available.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    are there still counties in TN that are dry?
    ~Dean

2019 Ford F250 Supercab, 6.2L
    2023 GD Imagine AIM 18BH
    2012 Harley FLHRC, Deep Purple,; 2012 Honda PCX150
    "Auctioneer, specializing in FL onsite auctions"

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a Racoon Mountain campground on the western side of Chattanooga that we've stayed at before, but not recently. I had not heard of the Racoon Valley campground in Heiskell. When we want to something Smoky Mountain National Park related, we usually stay in Townsend, on the east side/peaceful side of the Smoky Mountains and the Park.
    I think I remember going through Townsend at some point, at least it sounds familiar. Isn't that kind of on the north Western side of the NATL Park mountains but south east of Knoxville? You go through so many places, you get a vague recollection of some place you visited. We really enjoyed Tennessee!
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-08-2024 at 05:05 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast