User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing 12v T.V. question

Hello everyone! I'm currently in the process replacing my 110v smart tv with a 12v one. I know just enough electrical to be considered dangerous. That said I have a very basic knowledge and came across several options to mount my 12v cigarette lighter connection. One is tapping into my stereo system wiring and the other, which is more preferred due to it being directly behind the tv and not in an upper cabinet, is my awning switch. I plan on adding a 14awg inline fuse to the wiring of the cigarette lighter connection. Before I start digging in deeper, does anyone see an issue with my two options or with the wire size for the inline fuse?
    p.s. this is in my slide otherwise I would have ran new wiring.
    Last edited by SilentService; 02-07-2024 at 05:19 PM.
    Tim & Lori
    2016 Ford F-350 SRW 6.7L Platinum/60 gal Titan tank
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch
    Haloview MC7108 rear and side cameras
    TST 507 4 Sensor Tire Monitoring System with Color Display

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not use the 12V line to run an inverter to power up your current TV? I have a 180W pure sine wave inverter w/ power plug that runs a 40" TV and Blue Ray player. I tapped into the radio feed for the inverter power.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your approach seems sound. While wiring shut off the power to the circuit in question by removing the fuse at the power panel (ask me how I know this is a good idea). Then be sure you have the appropriate fuse in place in your new circuit before re-establishing the power. On my rig, I tapped the radio circuit, but any 12-volt would do.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Use a small inverter and run your existing TV. Much simpler.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jmbopp View Post
    Why not use the 12V line to run an inverter to power up your current TV? I have a 180W pure sine wave inverter w/ power plug that runs a 40" TV and Blue Ray player. I tapped into the radio feed for the inverter power.
    I should have mentioned that in my initial post. I did consider that and yes, it would be much easier. Although I have a decent size battery system, my wife's oxygen machine, to be used with her CPAP, currently uses a lot of battery via the inverter. So, I do not want another inverter which will use even more amps. I do not have solar yet and don't want to run the generator more than I have to for charging the batteries while boondocking. I do plan on getting a 12v oxygen machine sometime this summer. They are expensive!
    Tim & Lori
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Your approach seems sound. While wiring shut off the power to the circuit in question by removing the fuse at the power panel (ask me how I know this is a good idea). Then be sure you have the appropriate fuse in place in your new circuit before re-establishing the power. On my rig, I tapped the radio circuit, but any 12-volt would do.
    Thanks Soundsailer! Glad my mind is still able to work through stuff with a decent end result. Yes, I will definitely have the power off while doing this. I too have been bit in the past
    Tim & Lori
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentService View Post
    I should have mentioned that in my initial post. I did consider that and yes, it would be much easier. Although I have a decent size battery system, my wife's oxygen machine, to be used with her CPAP, currently uses a lot of battery via the inverter. So, I do not want another inverter which will use even more amps. I do not have solar yet and don't want to run the generator more than I have to for charging the batteries while boondocking. I do plan on getting a 12v oxygen machine sometime this summer. They are expensive!
    Going to take very close to the same power from the battery with an inverter on a 120V TV or a 12V TV. 50-70W for the TV plus an extra 5W for the inverter. If that’s an issue, you are cutting it pretty close on battery power already.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Going to take very close to the same power from the battery with an inverter on a 120V TV or a 12V TV. 50-70W for the TV plus an extra 5W for the inverter. If that’s an issue, you are cutting it pretty close on battery power already.
    I'm not that close but point taken. Thanks!
    Tim & Lori
    2018 Reflection 307 MKS
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch