User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No Fuel to Generator

I started the generator and it ran for a minute an died. The fuel tank gage had 2 bars so I pumped 2 more bars out of the toy tank. It now has 4 (of 5) bars.

Here are a few of the troubleshooting steps I took.
    • Spray starter fluid in the carb.... Generator runs
    • Opened bowl drain - No fuel drained from the fuel.
    • Checked filter - It was clean and gas flows easily through it (poured some gas in it.)
    • Disconnected fuel line at pump (the line that feeds the carb) - When priming, a little gas spirted out and then stops.
    • Disconnected the fuel line from the filter. Used air compressor to fill fuel tank with air. Very little gas came our of the line.

I believe I should have gotten a pretty good steam out of the fuel line. And, when I removed the air line from the tank, a lot of air came out of the filler. This leads be to believe that the line is pinched somewhere along its length. If there were cracks or breaks in the line, gas would have poured out of the line at the break or crack.

The next step will be to run a fuel line from the filter to a gas can and see if the generator will run.

Does anyone know the route of the fuel line?

Thanks
    -G
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had very similar symptoms to yours with only a few hours on my generator clock. It ended up being a bad fuel pump, i replaced with a knockoff from Amazon and paid $20 or so compared to the Cummins pump for close to $200.

As a test, i used a small 12v pump from Amazon (should have just bought the knockoff in first place), i wired it to generator, plumbed inlet from tank and outlet to a container, hit the prime button and fuel came out, changed outlet to generator fuel inlet, primed it and i got fuel from bowl drain. Then i tried running generator and it worked, installed knockoff pump and all is well now.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to Solar Systems and Generators.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BrokeDown View Post
    I started the generator and it ran for a minute an died. The fuel tank gage had 2 bars so I pumped 2 more bars out of the toy tank. It now has 4 (of 5) bars.

Here are a few of the troubleshooting steps I took.
    • Spray starter fluid in the carb.... Generator runs
    • Opened bowl drain - No fuel drained from the fuel.
    • Checked filter - It was clean and gas flows easily through it (poured some gas in it.)
    • Disconnected fuel line at pump (the line that feeds the carb) - When priming, a little gas spirted out and then stops.
    • Disconnected the fuel line from the filter. Used air compressor to fill fuel tank with air. Very little gas came our of the line.

I believe I should have gotten a pretty good steam out of the fuel line. And, when I removed the air line from the tank, a lot of air came out of the filler. This leads be to believe that the line is pinched somewhere along its length. If there were cracks or breaks in the line, gas would have poured out of the line at the break or crack.

The next step will be to run a fuel line from the filter to a gas can and see if the generator will run.

Does anyone know the route of the fuel line?

Thanks
    -G
    We're experiencing the same issue. Runs for a bit then dies out. Like FT4NOW, we've tested the fuel pump and it appears to not be working. We now have a replacement one in our Amazon cart.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
    We're experiencing the same issue. Runs for a bit then dies out. Like FT4NOW, we've tested the fuel pump and it appears to not be working. We now have a replacement one in our Amazon cart.
    I got the Amazon pump. I haven't tried it yet. The pump looks the same but the mounting bracket it off by 3/8 inch. I'll let you all know it I can make it work.
    Fulltime RVer since 4/2016. Newmar Mountain Aire 4523 - Jeep Rubicon JKU - Harley FLTRU
    2022 F450 Platinum, 2022 Momentum 351MS-R with Curt Flex Air hitch and MORryde IS
    Also considering a Polaris General XP 1000 4 Seater and a Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got the Amazon pump. I haven't tried it yet. The pump looks the same but the mounting bracket it off by 3/8 inch. I'll let you all know it I can make it work.
    That would be great! Thank you.

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mount worked fine for me, but i had to drill a hole in the compartment floor from under the camper to access one of the bolts.
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tjndsa View Post
    That would be great! Thank you.
    Update for us. New fuel pump from Amazon was installed a couple of days ago. Had no problems getting the original one out, however, I did have to use a swivel adaptor on my wrench to get the new one in. So far, running it sporadically for long periods of time within the last two days, it runs like a champ. Keeping our fingers crossed that our issue is now resolved.