Thread: Xls 23 lde

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Xls 23 lde

Hi All
    New member here. We have had different Jayco travel trailers for several years now and we are taking a close look at the GD XLS 23 LDE.
    We have a Jay Feather 24BH and do not need the bunks anymore. Our grand kids are adults now.
    So maybe more of a couple's camper but still with some luxury's so to speak. We would like to downsize a little.
    We have a Chevy 1500 5.3 ltr10,000 lb equalizer hitch and firestone airbags. This rig has treated us well.
    The feedback I'm looking for is from somebody with experience with the XLS 23 LDE including what you are using to pull it. etc.
    Likes and dislikes.
    Thanks
    Regards
    Bob

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Boyd View Post
    Hi All
    New member here. We have had different Jayco travel trailers for several years now and we are taking a close look at the GD XLS 23 LDE.
    We have a Jay Feather 24BH and do not need the bunks anymore. Our grand kids are adults now.
    So maybe more of a couple's camper but still with some luxury's so to speak. We would like to downsize a little.
    We have a Chevy 1500 5.3 ltr10,000 lb equalizer hitch and firestone airbags. This rig has treated us well.
    The feedback I'm looking for is from somebody with experience with the XLS 23 LDE including what you are using to pull it. etc.
    Likes and dislikes.
    Thanks
    Regards
    Bob
    Welcome to the forum Bob, can't help with the 23LDE, but I can say that this is a great community that will give you support should you choose to go in the GD direction. The 23LDE has a great floor plan, so yes, some luxuries. I'd be a little concerned if your Chevy is enough truck though. What do your door stickers show for weight capacity?
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Welcome to the forum Bob, can't help with the 23LDE, but I can say that this is a great community that will give you support should you choose to go in the GD direction. The 23LDE has a great floor plan, so yes, some luxuries. I'd be a little concerned if your Chevy is enough truck though. What do your door stickers show for weight capacity?
    Thanks for the reply here is what I have on the door GVWR 7,000# GAWR FRT 3950# GAWR RR 3,950# Total cargo MAX 1630
    The manual; 2013 Silverado 1500 4wd extended cab 5.3 V8 K5L
    3.42 AXEL RATIO Max trailer wt 9,600 # GCWR 15,000#

Series 1500 with weight distribution hitch max tongue wt 1,100#

I would greatly appreciate your input on these numbers
    Bob

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a Chevy, but I tow an LDE. I will tell you that the white sticker numbers on the trailer will probably not be completely correct. On our shakedown trip, we were about 90% loaded (one battery, 2 propane tanks, gear and food) and we were sitting at 5,750 lbs (if I remember) from our CAT scale stop. I thought that something was wrong....How could I be just a couple hundred pounds over the posted empty weight?? So, I called GD and they explained to me that the white sticker weights were average weights for the model and recommended that I continue to do what I did....weigh it at a licensed scale center.

Two things to keep in mind.....at least in my case, I will run out of payload faster than the other weight limits. Also, your hitch weight will be much more than the posted hitch weight.

Finally, some owners travel with full water tanks.....not me, my set runs the best with about 1/4 fresh and 5 gallons in the black tank.

You will love this unit....we are a retired couple and this layout is absolutely perfect for us. By the way, be prepared to be frustrated with the sliding barn doors. It's a model thing. Good luck!
    2023 GD Imagine XLS 23 LDE
    2021 Toyota Tundra CM 4x4 5.7L
    Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS)
    Curt Tru-Track 4P (8k) WDH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Bob. We had the 22MLE before they released the 23LDE. The LDE is 2.5' longer and weighs about 600lbs more than the MLE. When we had the 22MLE we were pulling with a 2003 F150 5.3 Triton. It was not fun. It didn't have to do with sway issues (we always use equalizer hitch with sway bars), but it was terrible with pulling power. But that was a pretty old truck and new trucks have much more power. But as we keep our vehicles for many years (2003 to 2022 in this case), the replacement I wanted was going to be more truck than I needed and wouldn't have to be replaced if we decided to go a bit bigger.

Anyway, we upgraded to the 23LDE after I purchased the new truck (see signature). I don't have any issues now of course. I added lots of goodies for off-grid purposes. We generally do not load our trailers with a lot of extras, but we do like to carry full water when boondocking. Therefore, what I find is that we are always near or slightly above GVWR on the trailer. Unloaded the trailer had 1,200# cargo carrying capacity (compared to 1,800# on the MLE). Our CAT scale readings were less optimistic than the manufacturer's. Our hitch weight is right at 1,000# but I have 200# of batteries, about 150# of other equipment, hoses, electrical cords, etc., in the storage bay. Then the weight of the hitch, etc. The listed weight of the hitch from the factory is 574#.

I'm not sure how much that helps you but from the numbers, it looks like your truck can handle it. But the numbers can't tell everything about what the actual experience will be like. If you want a bit of a buffer, perhaps consider the 22MLE. We very much like both models, but the bathroom in the MLE is very small, and we did not like walking in the door at the foot of the bed. The LDE solves both of those problems, but comes at the cost of being longer and heavier. I would love it if they would have put 4,000# axles on the LDE and whatever other upgrades would be needed to give that extra 1,000# of cargo capacity. Happy to answer any other questions you might have regarding it.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've got a 2024 XLS 23LDE and just completed our first medium-long trip (1000 miles) in it. So far, we love it! There are a few idiosyncrasies (like some of the switches are behind a cabinet door, and the on-demand water heater seems to me like a solution in search of a problem) and I'm still 50/50 on 12v compressor refrigerators. But in terms of layout and usability on the road, it's pretty much perfect. We do long trips in terms of 2- to 3-week segments and we've got more storage than we need, which is an amazing compliment given that we've transitioned from a Class A and thought storage would be a problem. It's not.

Fit and finish on our 23LDE were all excellent. There's a little bow in the rear door that makes it hard to close. We'll get that fixed on our next maintenance. But no other issues at all. I'm amazed at how good the unit is. Like all units, though, do a good pre-purchase inspection.

As to towing, we tow with a 2020 F150 Ecoboost with the max tow package. This trip has been in basically flat country, so we really haven't given the setup a good challenge.

As to the numbers, I did check the weights with the F-150 and 23LDE as loaded as they ever will be: frig is full, 2/3 full fresh water, 1/3 full in both grey tanks, 1/3 in black tank. Checking the weights, I got this:
    Steer Axle: 3060 lbs (limit - 3450)
    Drive Axle: 3440 lbs (limit - 3800)
    Truck total: 6500 lbs (GVWR- 7000)
    Trailer Axles: 6040 lbs (GVWR - 6995)
    Combined Weight: 12,540 lbs (GCWR - 16,200)

So, all looks good to me and the F150 seems to have enough giddyup to handle those weights.

We're planning a 10,000 trip from here, to Utah, then Banff and Jasper, then Wyoming, then east to New York, and then back. Based on this trip, I have no hesitancy at all that the setup will work just fine.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can provide any other info, or feel free to PM me if you want to take this off-line.

Good luck,
    Skip
    2024 Imagine XLS 23LDE
    2020 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
    Amateur Radio K4EAK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipRD View Post
    We've got a 2024 XLS 23LDE and just completed our first medium-long trip (1000 miles) in it. So far, we love it! There are a few idiosyncrasies (like some of the switches are behind a cabinet door, and the on-demand water heater seems to me like a solution in search of a problem) and I'm still 50/50 on 12v compressor refrigerators. But in terms of layout and usability on the road, it's pretty much perfect. We do long trips in terms of 2- to 3-week segments and we've got more storage than we need, which is an amazing compliment given that we've transitioned from a Class A and thought storage would be a problem. It's not.

Fit and finish on our 23LDE were all excellent. There's a little bow in the rear door that makes it hard to close. We'll get that fixed on our next maintenance. But no other issues at all. I'm amazed at how good the unit is. Like all units, though, do a good pre-purchase inspection.

As to towing, we tow with a 2020 F150 Ecoboost with the max tow package. This trip has been in basically flat country, so we really haven't given the setup a good challenge.

As to the numbers, I did check the weights with the F-150 and 23LDE as loaded as they ever will be: frig is full, 2/3 full fresh water, 1/3 full in both grey tanks, 1/3 in black tank. Checking the weights, I got this:
    Steer Axle: 3060 lbs (limit - 3450)
    Drive Axle: 3440 lbs (limit - 3800)
    Truck total: 6500 lbs (GVWR- 7000)
    Trailer Axles: 6040 lbs (GVWR - 6995)
    Combined Weight: 12,540 lbs (GCWR - 16,200)

So, all looks good to me and the F150 seems to have enough giddyup to handle those weights.

We're planning a 10,000 trip from here, to Utah, then Banff and Jasper, then Wyoming, then east to New York, and then back. Based on this trip, I have no hesitancy at all that the setup will work just fine.

Hope that helps. Let me know if I can provide any other info, or feel free to PM me if you want to take this off-line.

Good luck,
    Skip
    Hi Skip. Just curious how much changed between the 2023 23LDE and 2024 23LDE; what is the cargo capacity according to your sticker or paperwork from the manufacturer? Or, the UWR?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Hi Skip. Just curious how much changed between the 2023 23LDE and 2024 23LDE; what is the cargo capacity according to your sticker or paperwork from the manufacturer? Or, the UWR?
    The weights on GD's paperwork are:
    GVWR: 6995 lbs
    GAWR (per axle): 3500 lbs
    GAWR (all axles): 7000 lbs
    UVW: 5760 lbs
    Hitch Weight: 656 lbs
    Left (street side) weight: 2616 lbs
    Right (curb) side weight: 2418 lbs
    CCC: 1195 lbs, minus all the stuff not included (fresh water, water in holding tanks, LP gas, extra battery (see below), etc.)

And, in case you're interested, here are the listed capacities:
    Fresh water: 37 gal
    Grey: 82 gallons (two tanks)
    Black: 37 gallons
    LP: 40 lbs (two 4.5'ish gal tanks)

The rig came with one Group 24 battery; I added a second: about 30'ish lbs each.

Hope that helps,
    Skip
    2024 Imagine XLS 23LDE
    Amateur Radio K4EAK

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting, so they added 85# to the hitch and reduced the CCC by 155# compared to mine. I was thinking it must have increased because your previous post stated your trailer was at 6040# loaded with 2/3 fresh water and 1/3 in each of the other tanks. Perhaps there was a typo? The weight of the water alone would have to be over 500#, plus whatever else is in the trailer.

Anyway, was really curious to know if they found a way to provide more CCC compared to the 2023 as I need more. When I weighed ours last we had 30% fresh water, 35% grey, 25% galley, and 43% black. We were overweight. We had 6450# on the axles and 1000# on the hitch. Normally, we wouldn't have that much in the tanks unless we have been boondocking for a week or so (which was the case here), but still, I'd like more CCC so I wouldn't have to be concerned about it on trips such as to Alaska this year.

Appreciate the info!
    Chad

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Interesting, so they added 85# to the hitch and reduced the CCC by 155# compared to mine. I was thinking it must have increased because your previous post stated your trailer was at 6040# loaded with 2/3 fresh water and 1/3 in each of the other tanks. Perhaps there was a typo? The weight of the water alone would have to be over 500#, plus whatever else is in the trailer.

Anyway, was really curious to know if they found a way to provide more CCC compared to the 2023 as I need more. When I weighed ours last we had 30% fresh water, 35% grey, 25% galley, and 43% black. We were overweight. We had 6450# on the axles and 1000# on the hitch. Normally, we wouldn't have that much in the tanks unless we have been boondocking for a week or so (which was the case here), but still, I'd like more CCC so I wouldn't have to be concerned about it on trips such as to Alaska this year.

Appreciate the info!
    Can't comment on changes from '23 to '24, but now that you point it out, I should have said "with the level monitors indicating tanks at ..." I have no idea how much water was actually in each of the tanks. I just dumped the fresh water tank this morning, which was indicating 1/3 on the monitor, and only a few gallons came out. It definitely wasn't 12 gallons. One of my planned improvements is to add SeeLevel gauges to the panel for just this reason.

Anyway, to the extent the Flying J scales are accurate, I'm pretty sure about the weights. So, I had 6040 lbs on the axles, and probably 800-850 (?) on the hitch, but some of which was distributed back to the axles. Next time I get it weighed, I'll get the axles and hitch without the WD and see where I am.

Skip
    Last edited by SkipRD; 02-17-2024 at 03:37 PM.
    2024 Imagine XLS 23LDE
    Amateur Radio K4EAK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast