User Tag List

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    ......Safe has nothing to do with it, it boils down to physics, higher speeds just makes some things more difficult due to "physics". You can't stop as quickly, reaction times distances are greater, and potential energy is higher. Just physics. I have no desire to have my well being impacted by unwise application of physics. But, hey, that's just me. Just try to have your accident somewhere other than where I am.
    If one ever spent any time driving in Germany, and come up on a 25-100 vehicle pile up on the autobahn, one may get a birds eye view of the actual physics of what happens when just a couple of vehicles are involved in an accident and how well others (keeping up) avoid it.

You may not have to get back in line for another tshirt on the topic ever again.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I try to never go over 65. I use tow-haul mode when in mountains.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dick Noble View Post
    I try to never go over 65. I use tow-haul mode when in mountains.
    I hate to ask what do you do when the speed limit is 80-85 as it is in west Texas and some roads in Utah and elsewhere. Do you run with flashers on?

I have personally had some very close rear end calls even running 70 on some roads.

Safe travels
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect people to drive safely. I do not use flashers. If you want to tow a 16,000# 5er at 85 go ahead. Your brakes may not keep you out of trouble. Mine will. If you have had times where you might have rear-ended someone, I have no sympathy for you.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I expect people to drive safely. I do not use flashers. If you want to tow a 16,000# 5er at 85 go ahead. Your brakes may not keep you out of trouble. Mine will. If you have had times where you might have rear-ended someone, I have no sympathy for you.
    LOL.... I think he meant being hit in the rear from going to slow. But good play on words!
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I meant folks running into me. I try not to go over 70 to stay safe with traffic, but I am not about to run 80 0r 85. If I am running 70 in an 85 zone that 15 to 20 mph closing speed for someone coming up from behind. Yep I hope everyone drives safe, but they don't.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    If one ever spent any time driving in Germany, and come up on a 25-100 vehicle pile up on the autobahn, one may get a birds eye view of the actual physics of what happens when just a couple of vehicles are involved in an accident and how well others (keeping up) avoid it.

You may not have to get back in line for another tshirt on the topic ever again.
    Kind of hard for me to equate the autobahn with I-70,80,90,94, etc. If nothing else, the continual road construction will slow everyone down.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Kind of hard for me to equate the autobahn with I-70,80,90,94, etc. If nothing else, the continual road construction will slow everyone down.
    Maybe these might help...

https://www.newspapers.com/article/s...1998/19250941/

Or this one...

https://www.9news.com/article/travel...b-05d934bb009d

With the above, not sure one even needs to drive the german autobahns any more to experience pile ups.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Maybe these might help...

With the above, not sure one even needs to drive the german autobahns any more to experience pile ups.
    Yeah I was being a bit sarcastic wrt to the terrible condition of US interstates - large pile-ups are happening everywhere. Always pictured the autobahn somewhat pristine and designed for very fast traffic (never been there).
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Yeah I was being a bit sarcastic wrt to the terrible condition of US interstates - large pile-ups are happening everywhere. Always pictured the autobahn somewhat pristine and designed for very fast traffic (never been there).
    It was when I was there back in the late 60's. I was traveling with a friend in his Alfa convertible running right at 100 mph, not kph, when he said he had flashes in his mirror, and he very quickly finished his pass of another car, and a BMW and a Mercedes came by us like we were standing still, had to have been doing 130-140 mph. Whoosh.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast