User Tag List

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    With my 04 F350 dually with the 6.0 and 6 speed I used the tow/haul which locked out OD and changed the shifting pattern. It ran better there wit less bogging and better shifts. Also got slightly better fuel milage

Now with my new 2022 F350 and 6.7 and 10 speed I just use drive. I found tow/haul to be distracting using the engine breaking all the time if on cruse to maintain speed. In regular drive mode it will coast if going down hill. Now if in steep grades 8% tow haul and engine breaking at max works excellent
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by OshawaDave View Post
    Yes, I agree and I probably should've included that I'm interested in those with a gasser engine. However, good to hear from all.
    When I towed my 297RSTS with a 2009 Tundra I put it in drive with Tow/haul mode on and drove. Truck knew what to do and did it well. I suspect yours will do the same. The one exception to that was in the mountains I would manually shift down to 5th just before I started going up hill. I found that worked better to maintain speed as opposed to the truck shifting down part way up the hill. Other than that just kept it in OD. The Tundra's 5.7 and GM's 6.0 are very similar for power and performance from what I have heard.

Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I asked my father-in-law, a former GM design engineer for 30 years, what to do. He said put it in tow mode, leave it in drive, and let the computer pick its happy gear.
    '22 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTD Custom
    '23 Imagine XLS 21BHE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jim_de_hunter View Post
    I asked my father-in-law, a former GM design engineer for 30 years, what to do. He said put it in tow mode, leave it in drive, and let the computer pick its happy gear.
    I always thought this too until I was coming across Nebraska in a bit of a wind two summers ago. The truck was spending a bunch of time on the torque converter between gears and staying there for extended periods. Was getting like 6 MPG. Dropped down to M6 (was an 8 speed) and instant economy went up to 9 MPG.
    Matt, Irene, and Ruby (our Golden Retriever)
    2022 Imagine 2600RB with ProPride 3P
    2024 Silverado 2500 LTZ Gasser (3500 payload)

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Im pulling pretty light 7000 lb TT behind a Ram 2500 diesel. I dont use tow/haul mode. I drive at 62/63 mph and the truck rarely shifts out of 6th. I use cruise control whenever possible with the engine brake on auto mode.
    Jay Leonard
    New Port Richey, Fl
    2022 Imagine 2600 RB, 2021 Ram 2500 CC Bighorn 6.7L Cummins

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
    ...I dont use tow/haul mode. ...
    Just curious, why not?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No need to. The manual says only needed if its shifting a lot. And it doesn’t.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ah I see. Thank you. The Ram recommends it because it says the shift points, the shift action, and torque converter lock-up rpm's are different in tow haul mode.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Dave,
    Like you I mostly use drive and tow/haul mode. Sometimes I find it beneficial to use manual mode. West bound on 401 with a head wind and traffic is one time that comes to mind. Also sometimes on secondary highways with rolling hills. Regardless, I always use tow/haul mode although a couple of times I got back in after a break and forgot to turn it on. Didn’t really seem to make much difference.
    2018 295RL Relection
    2018 Silverado HD2500

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ram 3500 Cummins 6sp. Depends on where I'm towing. Only towing 9200 lbs so not a lot of stress on the truck. (20,450 max tow ). Heading up in the mtns where speeds range from 30-60 mph I lock out 6th and tow in 5th without. It keeps the rpm up a bit and the truck feels more responsive and the EB works better in 5th than 6th. IMO 55 mph is too low for 6th as it lugs the Cummins and it will shift down anyways. In TH mode it will mostly tops out at 5th gear so I just go there manually. Out on the Interstate obviously it's in 6th running 65-70 mph.
    One other thing I do is turn off Th when descending long grades. The Ram EB is just too aggressive in TH mode with only 9200 lbs behind it. It tends to slow the truck down too much and I have to press the pedal to get back up to speed.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast