User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Travel Days with Tankless Water Heater?

In my past two motorhomes I very seldom turned on the propane. I don't travel when I need the heat, I do my cooking outside (most of the time) and I had the electric/propane water heater set on electric. Now that I have a propane tankless water heater I have a question (maybe more).

Do you turn off the propane on travel days?
    Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4
    2024 Grand Design Reflection 296RDST

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, I leave the propane on unless required to turn it off for a tunnel or something of that sort. I have never left the water heater on for travel days anyway, we don’t need hot water while driving and the tankless heater takes so long to get hot water to the faucet that I am done washing my hands before the water gets warm.
    Last edited by DougW9876; 02-22-2024 at 06:36 AM.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We leave the propane on except for tunnels where it has to be turned off. Our water heater is a 12-gallon tank style but we use it on electric-only anyway. If it's cold enough that the furnace may cycle, I turn off the thermostat. The fridge is a 120VAC residential unit, so it runs off the battery bank and inverter while on the road or during power outages.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As with others, I leave the propane on for travel days. Since no one is using the hot water, I don't think the TWH uses propane, occasionally the furnace has kicked in though.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main reason I asked I did not know if the pilot light would get blown out while traveling.
    Raymond, Dee Dee and Sophie (Yorkie)
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD LT 4X4
    2024 Grand Design Reflection 296RDST

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
    The main reason I asked I did not know if the pilot light would get blown out while traveling.
    The LP appliances in modern RVs don't have pilot lights - they are DSI (direct spark ignition).

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 02-22-2024 at 10:58 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member KIMandALLEN1988's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
    In my past two motorhomes I very seldom turned on the propane. I don't travel when I need the heat, I do my cooking outside (most of the time) and I had the electric/propane water heater set on electric. Now that I have a propane tankless water heater I have a question (maybe more).

Do you turn off the propane on travel days?
    I don't know what model TWH you have, but ours is a - Furrion Tankless Gas Water Heater with Antifreeze Protection- 2.4GPM, White #FWH09AFA-AM. We just got home from a multi-month trip out west. We traveled on a number of days in below freezing weather. My interpretation of the manual was to drive in freezing weather with the propane on and the TWH on. We also had the tank pads on and the furnace on and set to a low temp. This resulted in a great trip, no problems with the TWH, no problems with the furnace and really no problems with the rig whatsoever after driving through some very challenging conditions. Good luck. AP
    2022 Chevrolet 3500hd LTZ drw
    2023 GD Momentum 397THS-R (FBP!)
    2021 Harley Davidson Electra Glide

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our dealer told us that the tankless water heaters only come on when there is a demand for hot water, so they will never come on while driving. The furnace, though, could come on if it got cold enough, and that could result in flame going where it shouldn't. Accordingly, we turn the furnace off on winter travel days. We had one day a few weeks ago when the trailer was in the mid 50's when we landed. Turned the furnace on, turned the fireplace on, and turned on the small electric space heater in the bedroom. Fifteen minutes later it was back to normal.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KIMandALLEN1988 View Post
    I don't know what model TWH you have, but ours is a - Furrion Tankless Gas Water Heater with Antifreeze Protection- 2.4GPM, White #FWH09AFA-AM. We just got home from a multi-month trip out west. We traveled on a number of days in below freezing weather. My interpretation of the manual was to drive in freezing weather with the propane on and the TWH on. We also had the tank pads on and the furnace on and set to a low temp. This resulted in a great trip, no problems with the TWH, no problems with the furnace and really no problems with the rig whatsoever after driving through some very challenging conditions. Good luck. AP
    This is the only case I can think of where you would want it on. In other cases on or off doesn't really matter.
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wondering why folks would leave the propane on during travel if nothing is using propane?
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast