User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Planning summer trip from Texas to Michigan

We are planning to travel from Texas to Arkansas-Tennessee-Kentucky-Illinois- Michigan, upper peninsula. Planning on taking our time, about 3-4 months.

I would love to hear about must stops on this route. We like to hike, kayak, & fish. We stay in state & national parks, as well as private parks. Thanks
    Jason & Celia-Texas
    2019 GD Reflection 337 RLS
    2020 GMC Denali, Dually
    Pungo Kayaks,Lectric E-bikes

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Arkansas: Toad Suck COE Park. While there visit the State capitol, especially the Treasurer's office.
    Missouri: You didn't mention it, but take a couple of days at Branson. Many good places to stay there. We like Turkey Creek, the Escapee park in Hollister.
    Tennessee: We like the eastern part of the State. Check out Oak Ridge.
    Illinois: Lots of good places to stay. Check out the Lincoln stuff - old capitol in Springfield, the Lincoln tours, etc.
    Michigan: Mackinac Island is interesting, but rather expensive. If you are brave you can drive the bridge. I haven't been on it in many years, and then only in a car. The UP is quite an interesting place. Lots of immigrant culture there, as well as Indian. Learn about the Saint Lawrence Seaway project while up there. If the black flies are out in force the day you are there just plan on staying inside for a day or two. They will leave and you can enjoy the area. BTW, expect to gain weight while in the UP. Everyone up there is a good cook and they love to feed the tourists.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason-Texas View Post
    We are planning to travel from Texas to Arkansas-Tennessee-Kentucky-Illinois- Michigan, upper peninsula. Planning on taking our time, about 3-4 months.

I would love to hear about must stops on this route. We like to hike, kayak, & fish. We stay in state & national parks, as well as private parks. Thanks

That seem like a good trip.
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
    Arkansas: Toad Suck COE Park. While there visit the State capitol, especially the Treasurer's office.
    Missouri: You didn't mention it, but take a couple of days at Branson. Many good places to stay there. We like Turkey Creek, the Escapee park in Hollister.
    Tennessee: We like the eastern part of the State. Check out Oak Ridge.
    Illinois: Lots of good places to stay. Check out the Lincoln stuff - old capitol in Springfield, the Lincoln tours, etc.
    Michigan: Mackinac Island is interesting, but rather expensive. If you are brave you can drive the bridge. I haven't been on it in many years, and then only in a car. The UP is quite an interesting place. Lots of immigrant culture there, as well as Indian. Learn about the Saint Lawrence Seaway project while up there. If the black flies are out in force the day you are there just plan on staying inside for a day or two. They will leave and you can enjoy the area. BTW, expect to gain weight while in the UP. Everyone up there is a good cook and they love to feed the tourists.
    Thanks for all the great ideas. I am compiling a list of activities and then I will work on my route. We have thought about Crater of Diamond state park in Arkansas, Jack Daniels distillery tour, National Corvette museum, just a few ideas.
    Jason & Celia-Texas
    2019 GD Reflection 337 RLS
    2020 GMC Denali, Dually
    Pungo Kayaks,Lectric E-bikes

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Missouri add Bass Pro shops in Springfield.

The Henry Ford in Dearborn MI is certainly worth a visit. Dow Gardens in Midland was a nice afternoon stroll, if you like

Hiking, Kayaking, and fishing means you will love the UP of Michigan.

A lot of people talk about the Mighty Mac being a nerve wracking bridge, I found it to be nothing whatsoever to get excited about. I have been on a lot of bridges that were longer, or higher, or steeper. This one could be a bugger if the weather is bad but on a good day it is fine.

Mackinaw Island is a place with average fudge, tourist shops and horse manure. I don’t regret going, I won’t go again.

In the UP there are dozens of things to see and do. When we went I came down with foot problems so I was unable to enjoy the outdoor experience very much. Sault Ste Marie has the locks to watch some ships go through. Whitefish point has a shipwreck museum with the bell from the Edmund Fitzgerald and a lot of other displays as well. Taquemanon Falls is a nice area. Pictured Rock is a popular area. Rt 41 up to Copper Harbor Is an interesting drive, it is one of those roads that seems like they paved the deer trails and cut down the fewest trees possible while doing it. It is very driveable, you just need to pay attention to the road. RT 26 that comes back through Eagle Harbor is pretty similar, it runs along the lake shore. If I were to go back to the area I would camp near Houghton and do Copper Harbor as a day trip, it is only a bit over an hour’s drive. We didn’t get over to the western end of the UP so I can’t make recommendations for that area.
    2022 Reflection150 226RK
    2022 F150 Powerboost hybrid with 3.5L Ecoboost

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If either of you are big fans of Christmas...check out Bronner's in Frankenmuth.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    If either of you are big fans of Christmas...check out Bronner's in Frankenmuth.
    Bronners was great for a full course family style Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner. Don’t know if they still serve that way. That was four years ago!

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All great suggestions ! We have been to most of the places mentioned. Branson of course, Bass Pro HQ in Springfield MO. Frankenmuth, Sault Ste Marie, etc. All great!

A couple more suggestions - If you are thinking of taking Interstate 69 Indiana up into Michigan, I would stop at Auburn Indiana just a little north of Fort Wayne and see the Auburn, Cord, Duesenberg factory/museum. Also the early Ford V8 museum and the National Auto and Truck Museum. If your into old antique classic vehicles this is the place.

Then traveling north again on Interstate 69 just a little north of Auburn, I might take highway 20 west and visit Shipshewana, Middlebury and Elkhart and the RV Hall of Fame and Museum. The Flea Market at Shipshewana is unbelievable. Nice RV Park right at the Flea Market.

Bridges - We have towed our rig over the Sam Houston Ship Channel Bridge, the Mackinac is just long.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 02-26-2024 at 02:06 PM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is what we have planned for August/Sept

Ann Arbor KOA:
    Henry Ford Museum

Frankenmuth
    ● Cross in the Woods National Shrine (en-route) ● Call of the Wild Museum (en-route)
    ● Frankenmuth Historical Museum
    ● Frankenmuth Cheese Haus
    ● Lager Mill & Brewing Museum
    ● Bronner’s Christmas Wonderland
    ● Michigan’s Military & Space Hero Museum
    ● Holz-Brucke Covered Bridge
    ● ‘Bavarian Belle’ Paddlewheel Riverboat Cruise ● Frankenmuth River Place
    ● Grand Traverse Distillery Tour & Tasting

Mackinaw City:
    Hydro-Jet Ferry to Mackinac Island
    ● Mackinac Island Horse Drawn Carriage Tour (Narrated) ● Free Time to Explore Mackinac Island
    ● Lake Michigan Scenic Drive (en-route)
    ● Lumberjack Show
    ● Grand Hotel Buffet Lunch
    ● Fort Mackinac Tour
    ● Colonial Michilimackinac
    ● Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse Tour
    ● Historic Mill Creek
    ● Campfire on the Beach of Lake Huron (optional) ● Free Day to Explore Mackinaw City
    Petosky - Tunnel of Trees

Tahquamenon Falls

Whitefish Point - Ship Wreck Museum

Munising, MI
    > Pictured Rocks Cruise & NP https://picturedrocks.com
    > Explore the Area
    Marquette Pasties Dinner Waterfalls Lighthouses/Museums
    TBD
    > Palms Book State Park

Houghton, MI
    Coppertown Mining Museum
    Tour Waterfalls
    Tour Lighthouses
    Copper Mine Toru(s)
    (The Quincy Smelting Works Tour)
    Northshore Drive
    Covered Drive

Saint Ignace, MI
    Mackinac area Sault St Marie - Soo Locks

Beulah, MI
    ● Traverse City Area Highlights Motorcoach Tour ● Leelanau Peninsula Tour
    ● Explore Old Fishing Village of Leland
    ● Sleeping Bear Dunes and Scenic Dunes Drive Pierce Stocking Scenic Drive
    Bike Leelanau Trail
    ● Grand Traverse Lighthouse & Museum
    ● Moomers Ice Cream Store Visit
    ● Interlochen School for the Arts
    ● Music House Museum
    ● Check out Charlevox
    > Check out Ministee trails

Mears, MI
    Sand dunes
    Explore town
    Hiking trails in Manistee

Zeeland, MI
    Windmill Island Gardens Veldheer Tulip Gardens Tunnel Park
    Nelis' Dutch Village
    beach area Being Red Lighthouse
    ● Holland Motorcoach Tour
    ● Historic Houses Tour
    ● Explore Saugatuck
    ● Saugatuck Schooner Sand Dunes Ride ● Grand Rapids Motorcoach Tour
    ● Meyer May House
    ● Gerald Ford Presidential Museum
    ● Lunch at Grand Rapids Brewing
    ● Frederik Meijer Sculpture Gardens
    ● Veldheer Deklomp Wooden Shoe & Delft Factory
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason-Texas View Post

If you have time while in Michigan follow the Lake Michigan coastline north. To many amazing beach towns to list and they get more scenic the further north you go.
    Doug & Jenny, from Southeast Michigan.
    2020.5 Reflection 311 BHS
    2022 GMC Sierra AT4 3500 SRW, CC, Duramax
    Reese Goose Box

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast