User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shake, Rattle & Roll

(Picture for reference) Just curious: We all learn quickly how to secure everything in the camper so things don't slip, bounce, fall and break. Doors and drawers open on their own no matter how smooth the road. And, we've all had to clean up after forgetting to store something securely. So why don't campers have shock absorbers? Less bounce, less impact, less broken stuff. Hmmmmmm.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 41E8D992-4DC4-4139-9F66-049143E98A1C.jpeg  

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed roadmaster shock kit on my 310gkr and they seem to make a noticeable difference in the camper rocking on the road and things staying put. around 1000$ installed. Also Sumo springs would be worth searching for on this site.
    1st 5er- 2006 titanium 32/37. current 5er-2021 Solitude 310GKR
    1st camper-2001 Lance slide in
    1st truck-2001 chevy silverado 2500 HD 8.1 vortec-Allison trans. current truck-2011 chevy silverado HD duramax, allison LTZ

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Shock absorbers do not lessen impact - only dampen oscillation. Trailer springs are designed to do this by friction. Shocks can improve handling on bad roads and in crosswinds, but the only effective way to improve the ride for the coach is to replace the 150-year-old trailer suspension technology with something like the MORryde independent suspension.

Rob

PS: thread moved to Axles, Brakes and Suspension.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Shock absorbers do not lessen impact - only dampen oscillation. Trailer springs are designed to do this by friction. Shocks can improve handling on bad roads and in crosswinds, but the only effective way to improve the ride for the coach is to replace the 150-year-old trailer suspension technology with something like the MORryde independent suspension.

Rob

PS: thread moved to Axles, Brakes and Suspension.
    Pricey...... but, the right solution (IMO) if wanting a better RV 5er/TT suspension. That, and converting to disk brakes made a world of difference on our 5er. Not to mention ease of maintenance and wheel alignment too.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Pricey...... but, the right solution (IMO) if wanting a better RV 5er/TT suspension. That, and converting to disk brakes made a world of difference on our 5er. Not to mention ease of maintenance and wheel alignment too.
    Yeah - and I should have mentioned that much of the rest of the world doesn't even call them "shock absorbers." They call them "dampers," which is what they actually are.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our last 5th wheel came with shocks new. Rear kitchen with the sink in the rear left corner. In five years nary a cabinet door or drawer popped open. And we were actually able to leave the sink covers on the sink rather than stashing them somewhere for travel.
    The manufacturer made their own frames also. Never heard of frame flex, cracks etc. But it was a heavy sucker.
    Paul, Sue & Wonder Dog Zane
    '18 Solitude 310 GK
    "15 F-350 6.7, DRW, CC

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not quite sure about the semantics of impact, dampening, oscillation, etc., but I can tell you that shock absorbers do dampen the movement inside the RV. Less of whatever you want to call it meant for us no more dinette cushions on the floor, no more rear kitchen drawers open, etc. If that's what you are looking for and you don't want to upgrade your entire suspension, you can install shock absorbers and they will help. If you are handy, you can definitely do it yourself; you don't even need to remove the wheels. It's not the most pleasant job I've ever done but certainly not the worst. I installed them on our 22MLE and removed them when we decided to move to the 23LDE, and I installed them again. If I can do it, just about anyone can. That can cut your cost in half.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I installed them on our 22MLE and removed them when we decided to move to the 23LDE, and I installed them again. If I can do it, just about anyone can. That can cut your cost in half.
    If you don’t mind, what system did you install?

Thanks!!
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capt Bob View Post
    If you don’t mind, what system did you install?

Thanks!!
    Of course. I installed the Roadmaster shock absorbers and purchased them on eTrailer. It went faster the second time around of course but I did one side each day for two days. If a person wanted to put a long day in, you could do it in one.

One tip if you decide to do it... The instructions tell you to use a long 5/16 drill bit (if I recall the size correctly), or cut one short. This is because the leaf springs are in the way for drilling holes in the frame for the brackets. If you have a right angle drill, you can raise the side up with a jack on the frame to open the space between the frame and the leaf spring and use a standard drill bit. This helps drill the hole straight rather than angled, which is what you end up with using a long drill bit.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Of course. I installed the Roadmaster shock absorbers and purchased them on eTrailer. It went faster the second time around of course but I did one side each day for two days. If a person wanted to put a long day in, you could do it in one.

One tip if you decide to do it... The instructions tell you to use a long 5/16 drill bit (if I recall the size correctly), or cut one short. This is because the leaf springs are in the way for drilling holes in the frame for the brackets. If you have a right angle drill, you can raise the side up with a jack on the frame to open the space between the frame and the leaf spring and use a standard drill bit.
    Thanks Chad!
    I do have a right angle drill.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro