User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brought home my new Momentum 336M. Added Reese Goose Box.

Picked up my new rig on Saturday. Had them put on the Reese Goose Box before I drove away.

Going to post for my experience and hoping to get some feedback as well.

1) The 2 1/2" shank is too high on the B&W ball setup. I'm already sending it back and getting the Reese with the 1/2" shank. The ground clearance is 20" at level. With the B&W the ground clearance was 24" in the front and 14" at the rear and the bed side rail clearance was 9". I'll see how much the change raises the backend.

2) The Reese Goose Box attach point is 6" further forward (longer) than the Rhino Pin Box. Normally, my tailgate would have 2-3" of clearance with my old rig (29RS) if I was straight. If I was slightly turned when disconnecting I would have to disengage the king pin and then lower my tailgate. With the Goose Box I have an additional 6" of clearance from truck to camper.

3) I took the rig straight to the scale from the dealer. I know my F350 dually is about 8,900 lbs. I came in at 25,120 lbs. WTH? That makes the camper unloaded 16,200! I went back to the scale and confirmed the truck is 8,920. The UVW is supposed to be 14,200 with a GVWR of 17,000. And the sticker on the side says 10,606 lbs. UVW. Truck front end went from 5,080 to 5,040 and rear went from 3,840 to 7,540. leaving 12,540 on the trailer axles. How do you go from a sticker of 10,606 to 16,200? Full propane bottles. 1/3 of a gray tank, 2/3 of fresh water tank (why so much dealer). 15 gallons gray and 72 gallons of fresh @ 8 lbs. a gallon is 700 lbs. of water. Propane tanks @ 55 lbs. each is 110. 7 gallons of gas in the aux tank, 56 lbs. A mattress? at 40 lbs. 2 A/Cs, 150 lbs. Onan genny 288 lbs. That's maybe 1,400 lbs possible. It's gonna be overweight before I even load my 700 lb. motorcycle. The goose box weighs about 170 lbs. more than the rhino box so I don't think that shouldn't go against the GVWR of the camper (the box supports the frame, not the other way around).

4) It porpoised all the way home, about 50 miles. Not just off bumps, but going down the highway at 58 mph. Not sure if the 2 1/2" high ball contributed, the truck tire pressure (60 in the rear), the 6" additional offset of the goose box, weight distribution, other? The goose box was aired up to the right level with the line in the window. I'm going to take it back to the scale when I get the new lower ball this week and see if that changes the ride as well as double check that the scale was accurate (I'll go to another scale).

5) I'm also trying to connect the compass app to the system but it's not giving me the pin number on the display when I select the camper. The app says another way to connect is to find the gateway which is in a cabinet in the kitchen and looks like a modem. I've looked everywhere and can't find it.

I'll add to this thread as I work through the issues and keep you posted. Any additional insight is appreciated.
    Last edited by Doogie; 02-26-2024 at 04:15 PM.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What sticker and where is the number 10,606? Something is obviously wrong with that number. UVW on the website shows the 14,200 that you mention.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    What sticker and where is the number 10,606? Something is obviously wrong with that number. UVW on the website shows the 14,200 that you mention.
    under the tire and loading sticker on the drivers side.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4627.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	1,013.3 KB 
ID:	49821

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there room to raise the Goosebox ? Was the pressure correctly set in the airbag? I had to mount mine all the way up. My 351M is slightly nose up when hitched to the F450 and tows great.
    2022 Momentum 351M
    2022 F450

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could get another inch out of it if I cut the plastic trim around the top of the frame mount (underside of the camper). There is one more set of bolt holes but can't use them with the plastic trim around the frame mount. I'm gonna try a few different things, like the lower ball and air pressure in the tires, before I do that.

The air pressure in the goose box is set right in the middle. I might adjust that up and down where I can still see the line but not have it dead center in the window.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doogie View Post
    under the tire and loading sticker on the drivers side.Click image for larger version. 

I'd suggest getting in contact with Grand Design about the discrepancy with the numbers. Both the GVWR and the UVW are different from their website numbers. It looks like yours is a 2023 model by the partial VIN number, but something is not right with an almost 3600 lb discrepancy in the UVW numbers. Even the GVWR is off by 200 lbs, unless that maybe changed from a 2023 to 2024 model year.....if there is a 2024 model year.

Make sure when you call them that you have the model and VIN number available to give to them.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, the sticker is wrong. There hasn't been a Momentum made that has 6000 lbs of capacity......especially a front living room model.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    Yeah, the sticker is wrong. There hasn't been a Momentum made that has 6000 lbs of capacity......especially a front living room model.
    True that ^^^ My 2018 Momentum 394M had about 4500 lbs of payload or Cargo Capacity and I was elated to get something with that much cargo capacity. Triple axles (7000 lb/each) and 6 tires with a 4080 lb load capacity when inflated to the 110 psi number, and hopefully a frame that was strong enough to make that happen. It's 5 years old now and knock on wood.......no issues so far.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm just guessing here, but it seems your UVW has got to be wrong.

I have essentially the same Momentum, with the "single veh garage" as we call it, in the 376TH model. At only 4 ft longer than yours my UVW is 16,474 with a generator, 3 ACS, etc No way that 4 ft weighs 6,000 lbs. When I loaded it and took it to the scales, with our Harley Ultra in it, the trailer only came in 120 shy of our 20,000 lbs GVWR

Did you disconnect the trailer and weigh it by itself. We always do. We weigh the truck alone, the trailer alone and the truck / trailer for pin wt.
    Jeri, Honey & Char
    2019 GD Momentum 376th
    2022 Ford F350 Crewcab 4WD SRW Diesel Longbed

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could get another inch out of it if I cut the plastic trim around the top of the frame mount (underside of the camper). There is one more set of bolt holes but can't use them with the plastic trim around the frame mount. I'm gonna try a few different things, like the lower ball and air pressure in the tires, before I do that.

The air pressure in the goose box is set right in the middle. I might adjust that up and down where I can still see the line but not have it dead center in the window.
    Have you also checked what the ratings are on your rear truck tires? 60 psi sounds kind of light on pressure. I know my truck tires have a max 80psi and I usually run them around 73 when towing my rv, which is a lot lighter than yours. When just around town the 60 pressure gives a smoother ride but maybe that pressure is light for towing that heavy of a rv.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast