User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    How exactly do you use the center shackle as a jacking point?
    That is where the equalizer is. IOW, there is not a solid place to lift there.
    Thats where I do it, under the equilizer which is BTW connected to the center suspension bracket attached to the frame.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    Thats where I do it, under the equilizer which is BTW connected to the center suspension bracket attached to the frame.
    I would never use that as a jacking point.
    The equalizer can move while one is working on the trailer. It can be very dangerous.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I'm not sure how you would use any floor jack and have room to pump the handle up and down. If you have the jack in the right position under the u-bolt plate, isn't the jack completely under the trailer compromising handle space?
    You are correct. That is why the Discount tire guys always want to do it wrong. I bet this accounts for a lot of the bent axles we read about.
    Some floor jacks (mine) have a two piece handle that can be taken apart by pushing a button...But even then it is hard to get it under the ubolt area. Much easier to use a bottle jack.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would never use that as a jacking point.
    The equalizer can move while one is working on the trailer. It can be very dangerous.
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree . It isnt going anywhere with the front jacks down or hooked to my truck with the other side tires blocked. I also use a 6" jack cradle puck in my floor jack to spread the weight - but even without it, it still wont go any where with how I do it.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since this seems to be more for maintenance you could use one of the air operated bottle jacks. Still need to get under to position it but then a very easy lift
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by llr2800 View Post
    Since this seems to be more for maintenance you could use one of the air operated bottle jacks. Still need to get under to position it but then a very easy lift
    Those air operated bottle jacks tend to be pretty tall. Make sure it will fit under the jacking point when the tire is flat. That is a poor time to find out it's too tall.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we will have to agree to disagree . It isnt going anywhere with the front jacks down or hooked to my truck with the other side tires blocked. I also use a 6" jack cradle puck in my floor jack to spread the weight - but even without it, it still wont go any where with how I do it.
    I spent many years as a Safety Coordinator for my former employer of 41 years. I was responsible for all things related to Safety. One of the things that was the hardest was trying to get a long term employee that was in the habit of doing something in an unsafe manner to change his/her ways. Just because they haven't been hurt doing it yet, does not mean they never will. Indeed , our statistics proved that the more it is done wrong successfully the more complacent they get, and eventually it bites them.

I would advise against the procedure you are doing. IMO it is sketchy at best.
    Accidents can change lives. Yours and those around you. Don't be another statistic.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would be a bit leery of jacking it up on the equalizer. Maybe not so much if the front and rear jacks are down but I think I'd rather get down and place a bottle jack under the axle plate.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spent many years as a Safety Coordinator for my former employer of 41 years. I was responsible for all things related to Safety. One of the things that was the hardest was trying to get a long term employee that was in the habit of doing something in an unsafe manner to change his/her ways. Just because they haven't been hurt doing it yet, does not mean they never will. Indeed , our statistics proved that the more it is done wrong successfully the more complacent they get, and eventually it bites them.

I would advise against the procedure you are doing. IMO it is sketchy at best.
    Accidents can change lives. Yours and those around you. Don't be another statistic.
    If thats case, maybe no jacking should ever be done. Anytime a heavy vehicle is lifted off the ground its a safety hazard no matter who is doing it or how. No need to cover them all...but, lots failure points all around IMO.

Just doing anything on the side of a busy road ought to scare any safety inspector....
    Last edited by trailrydr; 03-01-2024 at 12:16 PM.
    Jim and Annette
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can't imagine jacking under one of the equalizers, but I have the EZ-Flex, and it would be pretty foolish to do so. Especially when there are much more suitable places to use.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast