User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is my Ram 2500 Enough for a 311BHS

Hey Y'all, I'm looking at buying a 311BHS but I'm on the fence if my truck is going to be up to the job. Based upon the truck and trailer specs, I'm going to be right at my limits on payload capacity and GCWR. Can Y'all check my numbers and give me an opinion on this rig setup and if I'll be in unsafe territory (I have lots of bumper pull experience but never pulled a fifth wheel). Also, if you have a similar size trailer with the same truck, please share your fuel millage while towing.

The truck specs are:
    Ram 2500 4x4 crew cab short bed with 6.4 gas.
    GCWR - 21500 lbs
    Tow Rating - 14300 lbs
    Payload Capacity - 3360 lbs
    GVWR - 10000 lbs
    Base Weight of Truck - 6643 lbs

Grand Design 311BHS
    Weight (dry) -11,185 lbs
    Pin Weight - 2,316 lbs
    GVWR - 13,995 lbs
    B&W Slider Weight- 220 lbs

If I calculate total truck/trailer weight using the max GVWR of the trailer (I don't expect to actually hit the trailer GVWR but am erroring on the side of caution), the combined weight is 20858 with a truck limit of 21,500 lbs.

If I take the rated pin weight and increase it 25% as a safety margin and then add the b&w hitch weight to that number, it comes out to 3115 lbs with a truck limit of 3360 lbs.

What is your opinion of this? It looks like the numbers work, even with passengers. If I have a load of firewood in the bed with 4 big guys in the truck then I'll be over weight, but it otherwise looks good (but tight) to me.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rather than adding 25% to the advertised pin weight, a more realistic number is 20% to 25% of the trailer GVWR.
    Calculating that way will put you very close to your payload rating.
    MB, Ab and Ufki (under foot kitty)
    '18 RAM Laramie Cummins HO
    '19 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How far away from home are you traveling with the camper? That is not a combination I would want to travel around the country with. But only going a few hours from home is a different thing (at least to me).
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

1) Read the following thread from beginning to end:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

2) As stated above, use 23% of the trailer's GVWR for an estimated loaded pin weight (that would be a little over 3,200 lbs. for the 311BHS). Calculating this way, you don't have enough payload left on your truck for a hitch, passengers, "stuff," etc.

3) Mileage while towing an RV is like the old cliche about yachting - if you have to ask, you can't afford it. I don't know anyone who goes into RVing worrying about fuel mileage (it will be bad, no matter what).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I get 8.5 mpg pulling my 31MB with a diesel, so I expect you would get about 6.5 at best. On the highway I don't drive faster than 67 mph. If you drive 55 mph you will get better mileage : )
    2021 GD 31MB; 2022 F350 Rapid Red, Lariat Ultimate Package, CCSB, 4x4, 6.7 Powerstroke, B&W 20K Patriot slider

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the setup you outlined you are over the GCVWR and will be over your payload.

The truck will certainly pull the trailer, but it depends on your comfort level with a tow vehicle that is over it's capacities.

With our current trailer, our original tow vehicle was over on GCVWR, right at it's towing capacity, and had a little payload to spare. If we stayed locally, I would have used it, but we have been north, south east and west US...through mountains, some pretty rough areas. I'm glad we upgraded to a tow vehicle that has more than enough capacity for our trailer.

Aa mentioned previously, your MPG will suck. It's part of the experience

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnyder83 View Post
    Hey Y'all, I'm looking at buying a 311BHS but I'm on the fence if my truck is going to be up to the job. Based upon the truck and trailer specs, I'm going to be right at my limits on payload capacity and GCWR. Can Y'all check my numbers and give me an opinion on this rig setup and if I'll be in unsafe territory (I have lots of bumper pull experience but never pulled a fifth wheel). Also, if you have a similar size trailer with the same truck, please share your fuel millage while towing.

The truck specs are:
    GCWR - 21500 lbs
    Tow Rating - 14300 lbs
    GVWR - 10000 lbs

Grand Design 311BHS
    Weight (dry) -11,185 lbs
    Pin Weight - 2,316 lbs
    GVWR - 13,995 lbs

If I calculate total truck/trailer weight using the max GVWR of the trailer (I don't expect to actually hit the trailer GVWR but am erroring on the side of caution), the combined weight is 20858 with a truck limit of 21,500 lbs.

If I take the rated pin weight and increase it 25% as a safety margin and then add the b&w hitch weight to that number, it comes out to 3115 lbs with a truck limit of 3360 lbs.

What is your opinion of this? It looks like the numbers work, even with passengers. If I have a load of firewood in the bed with 4 big guys in the truck then I'll be over weight, but it otherwise looks good (but tight) to me.
    With that trailer, I think you would have a much better towing experience with a 1 ton diesel.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Rich
    '16 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4x4 / '21 Imagine 2600RB
    The Journey Is The Destination

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you’ll tow fine but you will be at your limit. Keep in mind that going to a 1 ton SRW will likely only add 600-700 more pounds of payload. I don’t know what you travel with but if you pack conservatively I think you will be ok. 3360 is a very respectable amount of payload. I didn’t see what year you Ram is. If you have the 6 speed tranny it’s going to tow like a dog just fyi.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    As a fellow Ram owner that much payload is insanely good, you must not have very many options on the truck (just look at mine in my sig, only 300 or so more pounds than yours and it’s a 3500). The biggest “issue” with the 2500’s is its coil springs not leaf springs, which does give a nice ride though. It also makes it fairly easy to add aftermarket airbags to help with the leveling.

Moving up to a 3500 just be careful on payload as toys and diesel will eat well into that number, may want to go dually to just end any issue of payload ever again lol.
    2022 Momentum 25G (aka "Baby Mo")
    2020 Ram 3500 Laramie SRW | 6.7 HO Aisin | 6’4” bed | 3.73 gears | air suspension | 3694# Payload
    Blog Post: 1500 Pickup’s and Towing - The REAL numbers with example
    Blog Post: 2016-2018 Imagine 2800BH - 3500 lb Axles Tire Rubbing Issues

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdsnyder83 View Post

The truck specs are:
    GCWR - 21500 lbs
    Tow Rating - 14300 lbs
    GVWR - 10000 lbs

Grand Design 311BHS
    Weight (dry) -11,185 lbs
    Pin Weight - 2,316 lbs
    GVWR - 13,995 lbs

If you look just look at the example you gave with taking the rated pin weight and a 25% safety margin and the hitch coming to 3115 lbs, it only leaves you with 245 lbs of payload capacity left. 3360-3115= 245. If you want to take anybody with you they would put you over on the payload. I think with your setup you will almost surely be over the payload. If you look around you see a lot of trucks over their payload. And their have been some on this forum that have even gone so far as to state you should not be closer than 80% of payload capacity. You just have to figure out where your comfort, or risk, level is and make a decision from there. Also, don't forget to check your tire ratings and your axle weight rating.
    2019 29rs
    2007 Ram diesel, 4x4 long bed
    CDL with tanker, hazmat, emergency vehicle, and bus endorsements

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast