User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electronic Trailer Brake Fault Error in Truck - Resolved

I was getting the fairly common electronic brake controller fault display at random on our way home from Florida. This is a 2022 F350. I tried cleaning the connections and put dielectric grease on them. Didn't help. It did not happen often (maybe 6 times). When it did happen I noticed that it would seem like there were no brakes on the trailer as I slowed down for a light or exit ramp, then they would suddenly catch and brake hard. Then it would be fine for a while before it happened again.

Started to do hub maintenance and check the brake pads this week. First one I pulled off I found a green wire inside the drum had somehow worn down the insulation to expose wire and it was laying against the spindle. It broke when I moved it so there weren't many strands holding it together. Spliced it up and all good so far; although I haven't driven it enough to confirm there isn't any other issue. But the other three looked fine.
    Last edited by Riverbug; 03-03-2024 at 03:15 PM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I was getting the fairly common electronic brake controller fault display at random on our way home from Florida. This is a 2022 F350. I tried cleaning the connections and put dielectric grease on them. Didn't help. It did not happen often (maybe 6 times). When it did happen I noticed that it would seem like there were no brakes on the trailer as I slowed down for a light or exit ramp, then they would suddenly catch and brake hard. Then it would be fine for a while before it happened again.

Started to do hub maintenance and check the brake pads this week. First one I pulled off, I found a green wire inside the drum had somehow worn down to expose insulation and it was laying against the spindle. It broke when I moved it so there weren't many strands holding it together. Spliced it up and all good so far; although I haven't driven it enough to confirm there isn't any other issue. But the other three looked fine.
    Thanks for this post Chad, it's amazing what we can find when we're looking at something completely different. Glad you found the source of your brake issue.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same symptoms but in my case it was a chaffed wire inside an axle tube. A real PIA to find.
    2019 F-250 Supercab
    2017 Imagine 2650RK