User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

4 inch Thermostatic RV Shower Faucet Valve

We are thinking about adding a Thermostatic RV Shower Faucet Valve such as this one on Amazon to prevent the hot/cold surge of water when we are taking a shower. It has good reviews on Amazon. Has anyone installed this in their Grand Design such as 2021 reflections 5th wheel Model 311 BHS? Any problems? Any suggestions?

https://www.amazon.com/MISSMIN-Cente...41&s=hi&sr=1-4
    We have just got a new to us 2021 reflections 5th wheel Model 311 BHS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have this one on my bench waiting to install. I saw someone referenced it in a thread but I cannot find it. They said that they needed a special "backer" due to the depth of this faucet vs the original, which I plan to fabricate myself. Otherwise, their comment was that it worked great. Sorry that for now that's all I can say about it until I install and use it. If I can find the thread where I saw that I could see who made the comment and tag them for more feedback.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    I have this one on my bench waiting to install. I saw someone referenced it in a thread but I cannot find it. They said that they needed a special "backer" due to the depth of this faucet vs the original, which I plan to fabricate myself. Otherwise, their comment was that it worked great. Sorry that for now that's all I can say about it until I install and use it. If I can find the thread where I saw that I could see who made the comment and tag them for more feedback.
    Let us know how the project goes. Nothing like that cold burst of water on a winter morning.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They tend to get good reviews in the first few months. I have read a couple of posts on other forums where the thermostat became non-functional after a while due to scale buildup from hard water. Of course, how long this takes would depend on how hard the water is or if you're running a water softener.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    They tend to get good reviews in the first few months. I have read a couple of posts on other forums where the thermostat became non-functional after a while due to scale buildup from hard water. Of course, how long this takes would depend on how hard the water is or if you're running a water softener.

Rob
    I read that too, but we run a water softener so I'm hoping it will last longer. We shall see.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=TenOCPlus;516989]We are thinking about adding a Thermostatic RV Shower Faucet Valve such as this one on Amazon to prevent the hot/cold surge of water when we are taking a shower. It has good reviews on Amazon. Has anyone installed this in their Grand Design such as 2021 reflections 5th wheel Model 311 BHS? Any problems? Any suggestions?

This is a link to a post I started last year, https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...t=thermostatic,
    We haven't encounter and hard water situations to this point in time.

Still not having any problems at this point and for what it is worth we just changed out our water psi regulator to the adjustable Renator regulator and now with a better regulator we like it even more.
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Dana H;517092]
    Quote Originally Posted by TenOCPlus View Post
    We are thinking about adding a Thermostatic RV Shower Faucet Valve such as this one on Amazon to prevent the hot/cold surge of water when we are taking a shower. It has good reviews on Amazon. Has anyone installed this in their Grand Design such as 2021 reflections 5th wheel Model 311 BHS? Any problems? Any suggestions?

This is a link to a post I started last year, https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...t=thermostatic,
    We haven't encounter and hard water situations to this point in time.

Still not having any problems at this point and for what it is worth we just changed out our water psi regulator to the adjustable Renator regulator and now with a better regulator we like it even more.
    Dana,

Would you clarify how this thermostatic faucet works. I was considering a water-miser faucet because we waste about ~ 1/2 gal. of water at the beginning of a shower, until our continuous hot water heater gets the shower temp regulated.

Does the thermostatic faucet prevent water flow until water is at correct temp? Saving the initial water loss without filling the grey tank would be a nice benefit for boondocking.

One complaint I noticed about a thermostatic faucet was trying to winterize it. Have you figured out a way to do that?
    First time 5th wheeler
    2022 Reflection 280 RS
    2021 Chevy 2500
    Beaches are fine but I love the mountains.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Wyowind;517863]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana H View Post

Dana,

Would you clarify how this thermostatic faucet works. I was considering a water-miser faucet because we waste about ~ 1/2 gal. of water at the beginning of a shower, until our continuous hot water heater gets the shower temp regulated.

Does the thermostatic faucet prevent water flow until water is at correct temp? Saving the initial water loss without filling the grey tank would be a nice benefit for boondocking.

One complaint I noticed about a thermostatic faucet was trying to winterize it. Have you figured out a way to do that?
    we stole this from somewhere , can't remember where ( old age )........if you have a tankless heater , set thermo to 106 F or 42C........use only hot water tap in shower , perfect ! bump it back up after

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Wyowind;517863]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dana H View Post

Dana,

The valve on the leftside controls the overall flow.
    The valve on the right controls the temperature, which comes preset @ 100 degree.
    To adjust the temperature higher the button on the rightside can be depressed and rotate to increase the temperature.
    We more or less leave ours adjusted slighltly warmer than at the factory setpoint.
    While it isn't instant is is a very short time for the water to mix and reach the set point.

As far as winterizing goes we just typically drain our lines and hot water tank.
    Bypass the hot water tank and drain it.
    Then blow out the lines with compressed air at each valve/end point/drain.
    I do two rounds of openning the valves at each location.

More than likely there may be some water left in the system at low points.
    I would think that any water residual left in the system would be able to expand in the lines without causing any issues.

Thinking out loud I would assume turning the temperature control value from the set all the way to lowest setting would pass mainly cold water to flow and then rotating all the way to the hottest setting would open the hot side of the valve .
    But never tested that.

Fortunately we live in the southern Louisana and freezes are typically not a long in duration. Normally just blow the system out with air and do not fill with winterizing fluid.

We have only been thru one freeze this season and didn't have any problems.

I took a look at the Amazon reviews and some people did have problems and seems they just remove and reinstall but that means keeping your old faucet, it is a fairly quick install so that wouldn't be too bad.

Hopefully this helps,
    Dana & Janet H.
    New Orleans, La.
    Imagine 2450RL (MY2020)
    2018 GMC 1500 Sierra, SLT Z71 4X4

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    [QUOTE=Riverhouse;517882]
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyowind View Post

we stole this from somewhere , can't remember where ( old age )........if you have a tankless heater , set thermo to 106 F or 42C........use only hot water tap in shower , perfect ! bump it back up after
    Riverhouse - That's how we use our cont. hot water heater. Just set hot temp, no mixing in cold water. Seems to do pretty good that way. However, the initial few moments of waiting for warm water and occasional cold wave after shutting the shower stream off, to lather-up, that causes wasted water.

We try to catch cold water in a small container at the back of the shower. However, its not always efficiently utilized and can cause either overuse of freshwater or additional grey water buildup, while boondocking.
    First time 5th wheeler
    2022 Reflection 280 RS
    2021 Chevy 2500
    Beaches are fine but I love the mountains.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast