User Tag List

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Responsible RV Ownership

I have tried to temper my responses to postings that of being helpful as we should. Like any other product that gains popularity, like the RV industry, some people dive right in and have mixed results. A good many on this forum are long time RV owners and have made our share of bone head mistakes with our RV and owned it and not tried to blame someone else which brings me to my point.
    Fast forward to a new millennium with social media and get enough people listening it can become someone else’s fault. Not abdicating that issues don’t come out of mass production here but after personally witnessing actions of some RV owners, l am amazed we don’t see more road side failures than we do.
    Trying not to sound like a rant here so please indulge me with one example: Route 66 2023 UNRally, there was a Momentum with the entire toy hauler bay converted to some type of work shop complete with a supply of parts built up on the bed platform that could be raised and lowered, there where 5gal buckets and boxes of stuff hanging in the top of that bay. Who’s fault will that be when “frame flex” occurs?
    With all due respect, I believe in many cases we the consumer are trying to tote to many accoutrements and load improperly.

These recent announcements on social media about Grand Design and their shortcomings with Lippert are of concern. If anyone has attended a fully supported Grand Design Rally you can attest to how hard those GD Techs work to correct customer issues.
    I am concerned with the Winnebago brand that with most corporate acquisitions, they seem to think the front line people support the corporate structure and not support the front line personnel that is closer to their customer.

The spirit of this statement is in support of Grand Design of their products both past and future.
    I’m back out and reading the mail
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    I am concerned with the Winnebago brand that with most corporate acquisitions, they seem to think the front line people support the corporate structure and not support the front line personnel that is closer to their customer.
    I also agree that a lot of the issues owners have are with how they themselves do things, or use things.

Also, not exactly sure what the quoted statement is intended to mean, but, Winnebago has now been the primary owner of GD for almost 8 years. They continue to operate as their own entity, and are intending to continue that.

I've worked directly with the previous owners, current owners, and the rest of the staff at GD since day one and can honestly say that nothing has changed. In fact, much of what GD does is why Winnebago stepped in....they needed the help for their sinking market share.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I also agree that a lot of the issues owners have are with how they themselves do things, or use things.

Also, not exactly sure what the quoted statement is intended to mean, but, Winnebago has now been the primary owner of GD for almost 8 years. They continue to operate as their own entity, and are intending to continue that.

I've worked directly with the previous owners, current owners, and the rest of the staff at GD since day one and can honestly say that nothing has changed. In fact, much of what GD does is why Winnebago stepped in....they needed the help for their sinking market share.
    I stand corrected, I was under the assumption that Winnebago had acquired GD somewhere in 2020.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    I stand corrected, I was under the assumption that Winnebago had acquired GD somewhere in 2020.
    I believe it was in the second half of 2016....
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntr70 View Post
    I believe it was in the second half of 2016....
    Correct. The news release was in Nov 2016.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the biggest change is the numbers produced and sold, with that increase it's only natural to see more complaints on issues. Being at many of the national rallies we have seen some grossly overloaded trailers. Even got to watch one pull away with their steps out which swept the picnic table along with it...yep another self inflicted trailler issue, slightly crooked steps.

We have also witnessed GD step up to fix problems even after warranty expires (including us) Are all issues self inflicted no, some are big mistakes by GD or Lippert frame problems which have been around for years in many makes not just GD. That's why I don't get why so many are hell bent to make it seem like it's only every trailer made by GD.

When our Hanger fell off due to a non exsistant weld we were amazed we were able to go almost 4 years before it failed, held on by less than 2 inches total of good weld. We could not find a mobile welder where we were so contacted G D .Both GD and Lippert stepped up and Lippert sent mobile repair truck to our site (we could not move) ...yes 4 yrs after purchase.

I don't care for the role some social media plays in it, both good and bad . But that's the world we live in today

Nope, GD is not perfect and there are times their CS can lag but as a whole you can't do much better. When we were considering a new trailer a few years ago we talked to our service advisor who we had not seen for a few years about what companies are responsive and she solidly said stay with GD without hesitation.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with to some point that owners need to look to their past travels to assess current issues they maybe encountering. But I also think manufacturers need to step up to the plate too. Sure some problems may only occur in 1 or 2 % of sales, but those problems can blossom into a much bigger image issue as we see currently.

My biggest issues is when you look behind the panels, underbelly……. You see a rats nest of wiring and plumbing issues, no structured wiring bundles or routing, no feed through protection for chaffing. Some MFR are starting to do this…. Good for them. Just think if aircraft were build the same way as most RVs. Would you fly? Or even your car that you pay less for than a lot of RVs now. Lift the hood of your vehicle and look at how nice all the piping and electrical is run. Think of all the crash testing and government standards that have to be met to be able to sell that vehicle. Same with aircraft. How about your house and all the codes that have to be met and inspected during the build process. I think that the RV industry is shooting itself in the foot by not adapting these type of standards. Eventually the consumer will demand more government over site and that’s not good.

I know a lot about the inside of the RV mfr industry as my dad worked for Fleetwood back in there hay days. He setup several new plants in Elkhart and I worked in the industry myself for awhile back then, the 70’s.

I just watched BTBRV channel’s interviews with Lippert and my personal opinion is this was Lippert telling the RV industry to step it up. Put more testing and research into your products to find the failure points and address them before the product reaches the consumer. More engineering and better testing = better product, happier consumer = more sales, better brand image. Don’t just look good — be good !

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hear Lippert now and i cringe. I had, seemingly, overnight, 5 spots of cracks on one side, and 4 on the other side appear overnight. From one campground to the other, a 350 mile trip. I full timed in it so i knew the TT in and out.
    It was on a Forest river TT. Forest river and Lippert wouldnt have anything to do with it. The camper ended up being totaled.
    I would love to post the 9 pictures but it wont let me.
    Maybe because im to new to the sight???