User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing level with the newer trucks

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am/was getting ready to purchase a GD 295Rl, until I started researching hitches and reading about the concerns about the clearance between the bed rail and the bottom of the camper. I currently own a 2021 Ford F350 with the Timbren SES Suspension Enhancement attached to it, otherwise its stock with 18" wheels. The height of my bed rails is 57.5", the tailgate, with the small lip in the middle is 58". The 295RL's clearance at the front of the camper is 61", leaving only 3.5 inches on the sides of the bed and 3 inches at the rear tailgate. Taking into consideration the squat, which at most would be 2" I am at 5.5" clearance on the sides and 5" clearance on the tailgate.

The 295Rl has the Turning Point pin box that is not adjustable vertically so that is not an option. How do you get the truck and camper level while at the same time have enough space in between the bed rails/tailgate and the bottom of the camper and still have the 6" minimum clearance?

Maybe I am over thinking this but the math just doesn't add up.

Thanks in advance.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof J View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum. I am/was getting ready to purchase a GD 295Rl, until I started researching hitches and reading about the concerns about the clearance between the bed rail and the bottom of the camper. I currently own a 2021 Ford F350 with the Timbren SES Suspension Enhancement attached to it, otherwise its stock with 18" wheels. The height of my bed rails is 57.5", the tailgate, with the small lip in the middle is 58". The 295RL's clearance at the front of the camper is 61", leaving only 3.5 inches on the sides of the bed and 3 inches at the rear tailgate. Taking into consideration the squat, which at most would be 2" I am at 5.5" clearance on the sides and 5" clearance on the tailgate.

The 295Rl has the Turning Point pin box that is not adjustable vertically so that is not an option. How do you get the truck and camper level while at the same time have enough space in between the bed rails/tailgate and the bottom of the camper and still have the 6" minimum clearance?

Thanks in advance.
    Yep the newer trucks are tall!! The math is correct, the only way to tow level if you want more bed clearance in raise the trailer. Bigger tires, suspension blocks etc. but they can come with their own issues.

My combo is probably about an inch nose high. Its hard to even see that much.

Edit: or lower the truck which I have seen people do also.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congratulations on your “am/was going to purchase the 295RL” I like the opposing slide orientation. Take look at the fivers axel rating, best I can tell is GD is using a 4400lb axle in this configuration. As long as you manage the weight and balance properly the 4400 lb axle is adequate.
    When it came time to do a deep dive suspension maintenance I changed the 26” 4 stack 4400 lb leaf spring to a 26" Long 6 stack 4500 lb. from etrailer. The effect was to raise the fiver short of one inch with no change in the overall height and according to the refer. level it was just right.
    I also gained about “3/4 at the tailgate. Not a fan of suspension blocks, I’m sure they work fine. I just don’t like the idea of adding tubing to a suspension for increased height.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What hitch you have ?
    Most are adjustable up and down .
    5 inches should be fine on road driving boondocking you would want more like 6 or 7 .
    2019 super duty 6.7
    2021 solitude 2930rl
    1236 ah of Sok lithium 1200 watts of solar.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.
    If you look up inside the turning point hatch you should find 1 extra set of holes - about a 1 to 1.5" adjustment. I have them on mine, so look closely. Also my 2022 F350 squats 3" with my 220RK attacked and the bead loaded.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    Congratulations on your “am/was going to purchase the 295RL” I like the opposing slide orientation. Take look at the fivers axel rating, best I can tell is GD is using a 4400lb axle in this configuration. As long as you manage the weight and balance properly the 4400 lb axle is adequate.
    When it came time to do a deep dive suspension maintenance I changed the 26” 4 stack 4400 lb leaf spring to a 26" Long 6 stack 4500 lb. from etrailer. The effect was to raise the fiver short of one inch with no change in the overall height and according to the refer. level it was just right.
    I also gained about “3/4 at the tailgate. Not a fan of suspension blocks, I’m sure they work fine. I just don’t like the idea of adding tubing to a suspension for increased height.
    Unless they changed them since 2019, they use 5100# or 5200# axles on the 295RLs.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance.
    As @powerscol mentioned, there are height adjustment holes on the turret mount.

I also have a 295RL and haul it behind my 23 F250 SB CREW 4x4. The bedrail clearance was fine using both my reese 16k and demco auto slider hitches. The only adjustments made were to the hitch head height in the bed of the truck for truck/RV levelness.

Additional info: we also installed Airlift airbags to help level out the truck/RV when comnected. Works well on our SB F250.
    Last edited by trailrydr; 03-06-2024 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Info
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too had concerns when shopping for a 5th wheel in 2016. I even measured the overhangs of many campers, even at RV Shows. I just couldn't figure out how it was going to work out, but it did.

Gotta remember that the truck will sag with all of that weight. I don't know exactly how much mine does, but it is over 2" on my 2017 F350 pulling a 2017 Reflection 337RLS. My truck sags a bit in back, and the camper is slightly high in front, but I call it good with 6" of clearance between the truck bed rails and the camper overhang.

Besides adjustments on the pin box, most 5 wheel hitches have height adjustments also. I adjusted my B&W Companion manual slider for the Ford puck system to the middle position before I picked up the trailer, and it worked out great.

You may have to remove the Tembrens.

Check out my signature picture for how my setup looks. That is coming back from picking up the camper from the dealer. Adding a bit more pin weight for camping has settled everything a bit more.
    Chap, Joy, and furbaby Argus
    2017 F350 diesel, 4x4, crew cab, short bed
    2017 Reflection 337RLS
    B&W slider for Ford 5th wheel prep package

[SIGPIC][SIGPIC]

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You won't really know for sure until it is all loaded and hooked up to the truck, sadly...
    Dan and Rita
    2021 Reflection150 260RD, built June 2020, w/400W solar + 2 size 31 AGMs, added 2" lift blocks to match the
    2022 F350 SCSB 7.3 GdZa 4x4, 10 Sp w/4.30s - Lariat Sport in Atlas Blue

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 2018 RAM 3500 was VERY much higher than the 2018 Solitude and the 2016 Arctic Wolf before that. A friend had his trailer raised 8". Looks like it would tip over in a strong side wind. We went with as low a 5th wheel hitch as possible (B&W) and the Ram 3500 has air suspension so you can drop the truck a couple inches. Still about 2" front to back but not visible. The rear tires do seem to run slightly hotter (2-3F) than the front but ...

BTW, later on I got a sliding B&W to make sharper turns with a short bed pickup. DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY. Sliding the hitch back crunched the tailgate.
    2018 Ram 3500 with AS69RC Aisin transmission and Companion RVK3670 sliding hitch
    2018 Grand Design Solitude 310GK