User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sliding Door Falls Off During Travel - Easy Fix

Related to a different thread, thought I would post a quick adjustment that will permanently correct the problem of sliding doors falling off during travel. These are "pocket style" doors found in units such as 23LDE. Other units may have a true barn door style which is different.

There is a peg on rollers which the door hangs from. The peg fits into a slotted opening in the hardware attached to the top of the door, and includes a tab/lock that holds the door onto the peg so it cannot fall off. If your door falls off during travel then one of two things is happening.

1) That tab/lock is not engaged. Or, more likely...
    2) That tab/lock is not "locking" in place as it should. When you engage the tab/lock if it does not "click" into place and require a bit of force to open back up, then it needs to be adjusted. It should not swing open and close freely.

To solve this, open the tab/lock (no need to remove the door). With a flat head screwdriver press down on the end of the tab to give it a slight downward bend. Close it again to see if it "clicks" and securely stays in the locked position around the peg. If yes, voila! If not, pull it back open, bend it down a bit more and try again. You'll want to do this on both mechanisms on each door.

Hope that helps!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sliding Door Roller.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	18.7 KB 
ID:	49924
    Last edited by Riverbug; 03-06-2024 at 06:01 PM.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for this tip, but try as I might I can’t get ours to click in.
    Does anyone know the part number for a replacement?

Thanks

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robwatford View Post

Thanks
    Looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. It would help to know which coach you have. You could try the GD parts lookup at: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owners...s/parts-lookup
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks
    So you are opening the latch, pressing down to bend it down, and then closing it. And it still doesn't lock into place without swinging freely open?

Or, are you saying you can't get the peg to click into the slot on the top of the door?
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you. Yes new GD 25DBE this week, and just had an inauge weekend away. Very happy with the unit, just have the bedroom door coming loose due to this latch when ever we are on the road.

I found the part from your link, thank you, and also an Amazon equivalent that should be here tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundsailor View Post
    Looks like you're new here, welcome to the forum. It would help to know which coach you have. You could try the GD parts lookup at: https://www.granddesignrv.com/owners...s/parts-lookup

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    So you are opening the latch, pressing down to bend it down, and then closing it. And it still doesn't lock into place without swinging freely open?

Or, are you saying you can't get the peg to click into the slot on the top of the door?
    The former, it either isn’t bending or I can’t get enough leverage to bend it, but when I close it it’s loose and easily opens again

I might try to take it off the door and bend it on my work bend

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The former, it either isn’t bending or I can’t get enough leverage to bend it, but when I close it it’s loose and easily opens again

I might try to take it off the door and bend it on my work bend
    And are you sure the peg is seated all the way back into the slot so that the latch closes all the way? If it is, then maybe removing the door will help you to see better and leverage bending it. Mine bent pretty easily when in the open position. On the two doors I had to bend 3 of 4 to get them all to latch securely. Good luck.
    Chad

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    And are you sure the peg is seated all the way back into the slot so that the latch closes all the way? If it is, then maybe removing the door will help you to see better and leverage bending it. Mine bent pretty easily when in the open position. On the two doors I had to bend 3 of 4 to get them all to latch securely. Good luck.
    Once I removed the door and unscrewed the plate life got easier and I was able to quickly bend the latch to give a firm click.
    Thanks for the tip.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once I removed the door and unscrewed the plate life got easier and I was able to quickly bend the latch to give a firm click.
    Thanks for the tip.
    Okay, that's great news. Glad it worked. Perhaps the way they are set up with trim and such is different. Mine was easy to get to still hanging, but pulling it down and removing the hardware isn't so bad either.
    Chad