User Tag List

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

routing the GM camera cable, advice wanted

I am installing the GM trailering rearview camera on my 2020 Reflection 303RLS. This is the wired camera which supports all the built-in GM trailering video, including “transparent trailer”.

I have it finished except for the “last yard”. Namely routing the cable from the forward storage locker up to the hitch, where the 7-pin cable hangs out.

I am looking for advice from folks who have done this.

What I tried today was to fish a small rope above the curved paneling and then pull the cable through. Unfortunately, the large connector on the cable was dragging insulation and then got stuck a few inched short of the hitch opening. I removed one of the small screws holding he paneling up, to no good effect. So, I pulled the cable out to assess the situation. Now I am stopping to seek advice.

I imagine my next step might be to wrap the cable connector with duct tape to prevent it from grabbing insulation. Then pull out more panel screws to get more room to pull the connector through. But, I don’t want to pull out screws that I can’t get back in once the cable is in place.

What has worked for you?

In the attach image you can see the cable hanging by the green rope. The green rope is also hanging out of the opening by the hitch. That top follows a path above the curved paneling.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2084.jpeg 
Views:	6 
Size:	353.5 KB 
ID:	49929
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenV View Post
    I am installing the GM trailering rearview camera on my 2020 Reflection 303RLS. This is the wired camera which supports all the built-in GM trailering video, including “transparent trailer”.

I have it finished except for the “last yard”. Namely routing the cable from the forward storage locker up to the hitch, where the 7-pin cable hangs out.

I am looking for advice from folks who have done this.

What I tried today was to fish a small rope above the curved paneling and then pull the cable through. Unfortunately, the large connector on the cable was dragging insulation and then got stuck a few inched short of the hitch opening. I removed one of the small screws holding he paneling up, to no good effect. So, I pulled the cable out to assess the situation. Now I am stopping to seek advice.

I imagine my next step might be to wrap the cable connector with duct tape to prevent it from grabbing insulation. Then pull out more panel screws to get more room to pull the connector through. But, I don’t want to pull out screws that I can’t get back in once the cable is in place.

What has worked for you?

In the attach image you can see the cable hanging by the green rope. The green rope is also hanging out of the opening by the hitch. That top follows a path above the curved paneling.

Name:	IMG_2084.jpeg 
Size:	353.5 KB 
ID:	49929
    I poked a 12ga wire from the front by the hitch back to the front compartment, wrapped the wire around the cable, taped it all up so it wouldn’t snag a lot of insulation, and pulled it back. Worked fine. I ran the rest of it above the coroplast to the back, up the ladder, and over to the camera. I may use some split conduit over it where it goes up the ladder someday. The bigger trick of the job, though, was having to swap the bumper connector with the in-bed connector of the truck.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5
    MORRyde 8k IS, QD8000 Genny, Dual 5kVA Quattros
    Dual SOK 48V 100ah Server Rack Batts (10kWHr)

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LMagelitz View Post
    I poked a 12ga wire from the front by the hitch back to the front compartment, wrapped the wire around the cable, taped it all up so it wouldn’t snag a lot of insulation, and pulled it back. Worked fine. I ran the rest of it above the coroplast to the back, up the ladder, and over to the camera. I may use some split conduit over it where it goes up the ladder someday. The bigger trick of the job, though, was having to swap the bumper connector with the in-bed connector of the truck.
    Thank you, you're confirming that I just need to wrap the connector and pull it thru. I might remove the black piece that holds up the door to make a more of a gap. Do you think that it will reattach easily as far as aligning the existing screw holes are concerned?

The rest is done. I put the camera on a post I made which fits into the hitch receiver and holds the camera at the GM recommended height. I'll get a picture when I am next at the storage lot.
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you, you're confirming that I just need to wrap the connector and pull it thru. I might remove the black piece that holds up the door to make a more of a gap. Do you think that it will reattach easily as far as aligning the existing screw holes are concerned?

The rest is done. I put the camera on a post I made which fits into the hitch receiver and holds the camera at the GM recommended height. I'll get a picture when I am next at the storage lot.
    I’ve never taken out the screws for that holder, but I would think they would go back ok.

That’s a good idea for a mount. I know GM wants it at a certain height. I’m planning to use the receiver as a bike rack mount tho, so I mounted mine where the Furrion mount was located.
    Larry and JoAnna
    ‘23 Chevy 3500HD CCLB DRW High Country 6.6L Diesel, ‘22 Solitude 310GK-R, Hensley BD5

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checking back in, the camera is installed and works.

Here are photos

The mounting post I made:

Name:	IMG_2089.jpeg 
Size:	367.8 KB 
ID:	49981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2088.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	49982

I ran the cable along the driver's side frame rail. Attached using stainless steel cable clamps at each of the screws holding the membrane. In the suspension area I was able to route it through the square tube to which the springs are welded.

Name:	IMG_2091.jpeg 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	49980

The truck still uses the original bumper location for the connector.

Name:	IMG_2093.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	431.2 KB 
ID:	49986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2092.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	49987
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    here is the test of the camera. This view is the 3-way composite where the rear camera is set on top of the two rearview mirror cameras built into the truck

Name:	IMG_2094.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	351.2 KB 
ID:	49991

The driver door was open so that view is down the line of my neighbors

I plan to try the transparent trailer feature. To do that I built a trailer profile claiming the 303RLS is actually a bumper-pull travel trailer. We'll see how well that works. Next time I move the 303 I'll do the calibration needed to finish the set-up.
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And finally, the instrument panel showing the built-in TPMS readouts. All 4 tires are under inflated at the moment so the truck is rather annoyed with me.

Name:	IMG_2095.jpeg 
Views:	7 
Size:	277.0 KB 
ID:	49992
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Checking back in, the camera is installed and works.

Here are photos

The mounting post I made:

Name:	IMG_2089.jpeg 
Size:	367.8 KB 
ID:	49981Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2088.jpeg 
Views:	10 
Size:	338.1 KB 
ID:	49982

I ran the cable along the driver's side frame rail. Attached using stainless steel cable clamps at each of the screws holding the membrane. In the suspension area I was able to route it through the square tube to which the springs are welded.

Name:	IMG_2091.jpeg 
Size:	431.8 KB 
ID:	49980

The truck still uses the original bumper location for the connector.

Name:	IMG_2093.jpeg 
Views:	4 
Size:	431.2 KB 
ID:	49986Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2092.jpeg 
Views:	5 
Size:	369.4 KB 
ID:	49987
    Nice looking mount!

You can swap the bumper plug into the bed, and vice versa if you want. I just did mine a couple of weeks ago. All you need is a couple of extension coax cables. There is another post on the forum about doing that.
    Larry and JoAnna