User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Interested in purchasing 337RLS, need TV help!

Hello all! This is my first post here and I am hoping to purchase a Reflection 337RLS sometime in the near future. Currently I am in the process of looking into TV's for the 5th wheel. I am looking into the F-350 with a 8ft box to hopefully negate the use of a slider on the hitch.

I have my eyes on a 2019 F-350, Crew Cab, 6.2L V8. 4x4. SRW. For a great price! I am trying to do as much research into the truck/trailer as possible but wanted to know if this was enough truck to tow the trailer?

For the 337RLS the - UVW is 10,838LBS GVWR is 13,995 (Not sure how the GVWR applies to the TV help here is also appreciated) I know the kingpin weight is just over 2,000LBS based on some other members reports in the forums, So I am hoping that the F-350's payload will more than cover that and additional persons/cargo in the truck.

From what I can see the main difference in towing capacity for the TV is based on the axle ratio and engine. Assuming the truck is of the lesser 3.73 axle ratio, is 12,000 towing capacity still enough to tow the Reflection 337RLS?

Would also like to add that I really cant afford a diesel unless its an older truck. My budget on a truck is maxed out at 38K.

Also if anybody had any resources for learning the towing terminology? GVCW, GVWR, Payload, I have a basic understanding of them but after watching a few videos my brain is just mush after seeing it all. Adamant to learn though please list whatever resources you have to help! I appreciate all of your time in reading this and potentially helping! Thank you all!
    Last edited by ElloThereLadds; 03-07-2024 at 09:01 PM.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your dry wieght of the rv is 10838 per you so even what I call loaded light your camping stuff maybe another 1000 lbs so your going to be more like a 2400 lb pin wieght. Now you need to think about the trucks cargo capacity. Just you going camping or 5 fat boys and thier golf clubs ? Add in your hitch wieght and fuel .
    My 5er we just traded for our current had a dry wieght of 10500 and often the scales would go over 13000 but it had a 14500 GVWR. I was useing a 3/4 ton CC longbed diesel when we bought it in 2011. I thought it did the job until I went to a dually and the difference was night & day. My only point is you can make these RV's real heavy real quick.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loaded, the 337RLS will put around 3,000 lbs. on the pin - advertised unloaded weights and pin weights are useless. Read this post from beginning to end:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Loaded, the 337RLS will put around 3,000 lbs. on the pin - advertised unloaded weights and pin weights are useless. Read this post from beginning to end:

https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...ing-Capability

Rob
    PS: No - 12,000 towing capacity is not enough for the 337.
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the link! I'll read now and brush up more. Thank you for the help

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So its looking like a 350 diesel is going to be the way to go? Or a gasser dually?

Traveling in the TV is going to be my wife, cat and dog. Were planning on going full time to avoid the renters mess down here in SWFL. Eventually will be traveling to hospitals on contract jobs around the USA so wanted to pick the right truck for that too.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElloThereLadds View Post
    So its looking like a 350 diesel is going to be the way to go? Or a gasser dually?

Traveling in the TV is going to be my wife, cat and dog. Were planning on going full time to avoid the renters mess down here in SWFL. Eventually will be traveling to hospitals on contract jobs around the USA so wanted to pick the right truck for that too.
    We pulled our Reflection 337 for 1-1/2 years with a SRW diesel truck. The truck had just enough payload but the diesel did a very good job. We had the chance to move up to a dually at little or no cost and jumped on it. The towing experience has been so much better in terms of stability and not having to worry about what we loaded on the RV or put in the truck (passengers, hitch, and anything you put in the truck goes against payload, too).

At the 337s weight, a big gasser will pull it, but it will be doggish on hills and in the mountains. A diesel also gives you the advantage of an engine brake for those long downhill stretches - a safety must in my books. With the payloads on the newer trucks, you would be within your payload limits with a SRW 3500/F350 diesel truck if a dually won't fit in your plans or garage. A long bed would spare you the extra weight (hundreds of pounds) for an auto-slider hitch. You just have to make a decision grid with your criteria and all the pros and cons...

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Full of great info Rob thank you, i'll adjust my search criteria and see what comes up within my budget. I'm not new to driving a pickup truck, but I am new to diesel trucks, any advice on "How many miles are too many?" or common things to look out for that make or break a F350 diesel?

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElloThereLadds View Post
    Full of great info Rob thank you, i'll adjust my search criteria and see what comes up within my budget. I'm not new to driving a pickup truck, but I am new to diesel trucks, any advice on "How many miles are too many?" or common things to look out for that make or break a F350 diesel?
    It's totally dependent on how the truck was maintained and cared for and what your intended uses are. At 13 years old, our truck only has 69,000 miles on it and has been meticulously maintained... but plastic trim parts on door panels, etc. are starting to face. The engine is barely broken in. Diesels are built to last a lot longer than gas engines - especially when hauling heavy loads. If the seller can produce maintenance records, the truck is "clean" and you you have it inspected first, I would consider anything with 75K miles or less, personally. The Fords are a bit controversial right now because of the CP4 fuel pump, but that issue has been overblown. Also, do not consider an older Ford with anything other than the 6.7 diesel. I really like the GM Duramax and Ram Cummins engines, as well.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Few added benefits of a F350 diesel dually are now you can use truck lanes at truck stops to not worry about maneuvering in gas stations, TSD Logistics fuel card to get discounts on that truck lane diesel, ability to pump DEF at the truck lanes so you don't need to mess with carrying DEF containers, and the ability to move up to a larger 5th wheel if you so choose without changing out the truck.

While you are searching for a F350 diesel dually, expand your search for a F450 too. Probably won't find one, but turning radius is far superior to any 1 ton truck out there. I just ordered a new F450 so my F350 will be available if you happen to be near Cincinnati!
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast