User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    Few added benefits of a F350 diesel dually are now you can use truck lanes at truck stops to not worry about maneuvering in gas stations, TSD Logistics fuel card to get discounts on that truck lane diesel, ability to pump DEF at the truck lanes so you don't need to mess with carrying DEF containers, and the ability to move up to a larger 5th wheel if you so choose without changing out the truck.

While you are searching for a F350 diesel dually, expand your search for a F450 too. Probably won't find one, but turning radius is far superior to any 1 ton truck out there. I just ordered a new F450 so my F350 will be available if you happen to be near Cincinnati!
    Make that any diesel truck. I have the TSD card, and if pulling my trailer, I always use the truck lanes, makes life a lot easier.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also have a 337RLS and anguished on the diesel vs gas pros/cons. In the end, went with the Cummins diesel and love it. Biggest pros I find:
    1) Unexpected, but way less fatigue driving long distances - pulls like a dream. With prior gasser and a travel trailer was more tired after driving all day.
    2) Less annoying gear shifting and high RPM's on hills
    3) Engine brake is beautiful - I can come off a pass in the Rockies and never touch the brakes.
    4) As mentioned, diesel allows me to use truck stops and a fuel card - discounted fuel, but love the large ingress and egress lanes that trucks have. Plus they have DEF at many pumps. (DEF can go on the cons list too).
    5) Diesel service intervals are longer for oil/fuel filters etc.
    I hated the $10k price increase, but once swallowing that bitter pill I never have looked back. Like going from dial up internet to broadband.
    Cons:
    1) While a diesel will last forever, all the emissions components and accessories won't. There is more complexity. I spoke once to a Ram mechanic, and he would lean towards gas from what he has seen.
    2) If you are doing mostly flat ground towing, I am not sure the expense is worth it. We go to mountain states, so the diesel shines and feels simply safer. Coming off steep inclines with gasser working the transmission manually and intermittently braking to avoid overheating was far more work.
    3) Diesel fuel cost more plus add in DEF
    4) Routine maintenance, while less, costs more. Not so much for me as I do my own.
    5) Payload on the same platform is far reduced on a diesel because they weigh almost 1000lbs more than the gas engine.
    That being said, I ignore the artificial 3/4 ton classification on my Ram 2500 and use the engineering specs like GAWR (Gross Axle Weight Rear) against measured CAT scale weights and am within limits. People have different feelings here. BTW, as a further data point from a prior post my pin weights have been around 2700-2800 lbs loaded. Two people (230lbs me, 130 lbs her), no washer/dryer, stock 337RLS. On longer trips, I load some gear (tools/liquids) in the 337 behind the axle in the cabin if needed to keep it light.
    Any 350/3500 class will be fine payload wise, gas or diesel but may have a stiffer ride unloaded if you use the truck as a daily driver a bit.
    Best in your research!
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 Ram 2500 HD/Cummins Night Ed
    Missour-uh

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElloThereLadds View Post
    Thank you for the link! I'll read now and brush up more. Thank you for the help
    For what it worth we pull our 2019 337RLS with a 2006 GMC Sierra 3500 SWD 8.1L gasser.... effortlessly for over 30K miles. Did I mention that I have 164K on the truck.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20220207_163106.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	94.2 KB 
ID:	50045
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    It's totally dependent on how the truck was maintained and cared for and what your intended uses are. At 13 years old, our truck only has 69,000 miles on it and has been meticulously maintained... but plastic trim parts on door panels, etc. are starting to face. The engine is barely broken in. Diesels are built to last a lot longer than gas engines - especially when hauling heavy loads. If the seller can produce maintenance records, the truck is "clean" and you you have it inspected first, I would consider anything with 75K miles or less, personally. The Fords are a bit controversial right now because of the CP4 fuel pump, but that issue has been overblown. Also, do not consider an older Ford with anything other than the 6.7 diesel. I really like the GM Duramax and Ram Cummins engines, as well.

Rob
    Just purchased a 2015 F-350 with 66K on the OD, SRW 6.7 Powerstroke, the truck looked barely used, low idle hours, lariat trim as well! Its a lot fancier than what I am used to. Its a supercab with the 6 3/4 bed, calculated all of the towing specs for the 337RLS im shooting for and its looking like were one step closer to making the full time dream come true! Ill post pictures a little later for any who is interested but thank you Rob and all for the info ill be back with any questions I have!

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ElloThereLadds View Post
    Just purchased a 2015 F-350 with 66K on the OD, SRW 6.7 Powerstroke, the truck looked barely used, low idle hours, lariat trim as well! Its a lot fancier than what I am used to. Its a supercab with the 6 3/4 bed, calculated all of the towing specs for the 337RLS im shooting for and its looking like were one step closer to making the full time dream come true! Ill post pictures a little later for any who is interested but thank you Rob and all for the info ill be back with any questions I have!
    Be careful with that 6' 9" bed and a fifth wheel. On our previous short bed truck, the 337 would come very close to the cab on tight turns.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some real life feedback...we have a 2022 337RLS and pulled it with a a 2019 F-250, Crew Cab, 6.2L V8 gas. 4x4. SRW, 6-3/4' bed for the past 2 years..about 12,000mi.
    (I don't disagree with any previous comments)....
    Most important is take the rig to a scale and calculate all your weights. I've never towed overloaded, but that means I'm very meticulous about what we put in the trailer and in the truck. In other words, we do travel a bit light on gear. It also means no washer/dryer install in the closet
    The truck always pulled great, even to Oregon and back from the east coast. But, the caveats...MPG is 7-8 typically. 9 on perfect flats with no wind. Worst was 5MPG out west climbing grades
    You have to manage shifting on the 6 speed, and manually downshift when hitting hills. Per an interview with the Ford engineers, the 6.2L is designed to rev, and it screams up 7-8-9% hills at 4800-5200rpm at 35-45 mph. It gets it done but it's work. At the end of the day getting the rig into gas pumps was just to stressful. We traded for an F350 6.7L diesel SRW. I wouldn't go back.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bierdude View Post
    Some real life feedback...we have a 2022 337RLS and pulled it with a a 2019 F-250, Crew Cab, 6.2L V8 gas. 4x4. SRW, 6-3/4' bed for the past 2 years..about 12,000mi.
    (I don't disagree with any previous comments)....
    Most important is take the rig to a scale and calculate all your weights. I've never towed overloaded, but that means I'm very meticulous about what we put in the trailer and in the truck. In other words, we do travel a bit light on gear. It also means no washer/dryer install in the closet
    The truck always pulled great, even to Oregon and back from the east coast. But, the caveats...MPG is 7-8 typically. 9 on perfect flats with no wind. Worst was 5MPG out west climbing grades
    You have to manage shifting on the 6 speed, and manually downshift when hitting hills. Per an interview with the Ford engineers, the 6.2L is designed to rev, and it screams up 7-8-9% hills at 4800-5200rpm at 35-45 mph. It gets it done but it's work. At the end of the day getting the rig into gas pumps was just to stressful. We traded for an F350 6.7L diesel SRW. I wouldn't go back.
    Great info! Glad I went with the diesel, reading though the owners Manuel and all of the supplement booklets today, going to read them again this weekend, so far on the drive back home from the dealer and to work and back I love this truck couldn’t be happier upgrading from a 2014 Jeep Wrangler

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will add to Rob's note to be careful on tight turns... I did learn the hard way and blew out the rear window on my F250 6-3/4' bed when I made a severe 90 turn and wasn't watching the trailer close enough (won't do that again!)... you've got the same diesel I have F350 6.7L. Use Hot Shot Everyday Diesel with every fill up - Lot of info out there on the benefits. Also look at the TSD Open Roads program for discount diesel at truck stops (Lowes, etc). Easiest way to fill the rig at a substantial fuel discount. One aftermarket thing I did on both trucks is to add Timbren rear suspension bump stops. I've been very happy with them. They reduce rear end sag under load. I also replaced the stock pin box on the 337RLS with a Morryde Pin Box which took out a lot of the chucking I was having on our travels.
    2019 F250 SRW 6.2L Gas
    2022 Reflection 337RLS
    (Previously in a Imagine 2950RL)

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great advice and awesome job by the OP for not going crazy and getting upset with folks when they advise against their original plan! I read thru this post with great interest because my in-laws have a similar setup to what the OP was considering. They have a 2018 Ford F-350 with 6.2L gas, 3.73 axles and 6'9" box. They pull a 2019 337RLS with it. And plenty of times they pull a 17.5' fishing boat behind it. All of their towing is in state and is like 4 hours one way. We're reasonably flat here but have a few ups and downs along the highways.

I advised against this towing combination and at the bare minimum suggested 4.30s. Pretty much was met with the thought that "Its a Ford" it can handle anything and what would a younger Dodge/Ram guy know anyway. Everyone asks how it pulls and they'll tell you it pulls great. Not sure I'd expect anything else from them since they're so locked in on the Ford brand. They use a B&W non slider hitch and have taken out the back window once already.

I guess time will tell how it goes. As for now, the heavy load over short distance and slow speeds seems to work for them. I just know that I wasn't comfortable with something like that even with my more capable Ram 3500. ;-)
    2018 Reflection 28BH
    Andersen Ultimate Hitch ISR Version
    Predator 3500W Inverter Generator
    2017 Ram 3500 Mega cab SRW w/6.4L Hemi, Ramboxes, Active Air Rear Suspension
    2017 Aluma 8214HS
    2015 Lund Crossover 1775 XS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don’t need a diesel truck to pull that. Just get the F350 with the 7.3. It’s all you need and much less money up front and maintenance costs are much lower. You can 100% grab a used gas 7.3 for less than 40k. You won’t get a Platinum but you’ll get a nice truck. Stay away from the 6.4 hemi. That engine is not a wise choice if you want to keep it. I dumped my 2019 with the hemi and switched to the Ford. I still prefer the Ram but I won’t buy one with the 6.4
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 278BH (150)
    2022 Ford F-350 Lariat Godzilla SRW
    B&W Companion Ford OEM 20k with Turning Point

2019 Ram 2500 Big Horn 6.4 gas (SOLD)
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 21BHE (SOLD)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12