User Tag List

Thread: Atwood AC drips

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atwood AC drips

Travelling along the eastern seaboard for the last few weeks...quite humid. Have had a recurring issue with water dripping from the intake side of the AC unit. Happened once before but that was from a very clogged intake screen. Looking at some other forums they talk about moisture in the the intake air condensing on exposed, cooler metal surfaces within the unit and then dripping out the intake side.

Anyone seen anything like this?

Chris
    Chris
    Kanata ON
    2015 337RLS, 2014 Ram 3500 DRW CTD Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have the quick cool down vents open?
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quick cool down vents

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    2015 Reflection 303RLS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One is fully open and the other at 1/2. One thing I need to confirm the next it happens is if I have water coming out the drain on the roof. If not, then clearly the pan is leaking into the unit, but I doubt that because of the intermittent nature.

I'm curious if anyone else has seen this.

Chris
    Chris
    Kanata ON
    2015 337RLS, 2014 Ram 3500 DRW CTD Crew Cab

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second the, "quick cool down vents", please define?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The mountains are calling and I must go" John Muir

Chuck
    2015 Reflection 303 RLS
    2005 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax
    Elk Grove, Ca

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f3...psotab2qdx.jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you look at the grill where the filter is. There is a place on the left and right that you can move the vent to dump cold air straight down for a "Quick cool down". if you leave them open or somewhat open it will drip sometimes. Don
    2014 Reflection 303//2013 Ram 2500 turbo diesel Spring, TEXAS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had the same issue. After inspecting and repairing everything and it still dripped.
    The one thing I did find and repair, I was sure the problem would go away. That issue was the poor job the factory did of sealing the ducts to prohibit cold air from being pushed into the attic or sucking air from the attic.
    I sealed them all up with now success. I'm sure it was more efficient, but it still dripped.

Finally, I decided to go up on the roof and pull the cover off the unit. The first thing I discovered was that the unit was a 13,500 BTU and not the 15K it was supposed to have.
    The second thing I found was the cheap tape used to seal the top half of the stryofoam case to the bottom half, was laying on the bottom of the tray. No sealing go on here.

This means the vacuum (created by the squirrel cage blower) was sucking hot and humid air into the styrofoam chamber through the seam. If it was sucking in only air from the camper living space, it would have dehumidified that space, thus prohibiting excess condensation and dripping on the floor below.

The fix? Since none of the tapes I had would stick to the Styrofoam, I used Great Stuff Foam. I put on a pair of food handling gloves and began squirting "Stuff" into and on top of the seam. I then smeared the "Stuff" around and let it cure.
    After letting it cure for about an hour, I re-assembled the entire system and turned it on. It ran for two consecutive day without a single drip. End of story.
    MichiganMarty
    2002 GMC 2500HD DuraMax
    2014 Reflection 337RLS
    Upgraded 2014 337RLS to a 2019 311BHS, Then Upgraded 2019 311BHS to 2020 367BHS