User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What type of 2-stage propane regulator- High or Low pressure?

I have a Fairview 2-stage auto change over propane regulator on my 337, however, not sure which one I need. I haven't found a part # on old one. The driver side one is leaking, I have already changed the passenger side Red one.

I have found 2 online, Fairview GR-9984 High Capacity RV Camper LP Propane Automatic Changeover Regulator and JR Products Compact Automatic Changeover 2-Stage Propane Regulator
    Item # 37207-31525, which is low pressure.

I am thinking High pressure due to the furnace, just guessing.
    Jason & Celia-Texas
    2019 GD Reflection 337 RLS
    2020 GMC Denali, Dually
    Pungo Kayaks,Lectric E-bikes

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason-Texas View Post
    I have a Fairview 2-stage auto change over propane regulator on my 337, however, not sure which one I need. I haven't found a part # on old one. The driver side one is leaking, I have already changed the passenger side Red one.

I have found 2 online, Fairview GR-9984 High Capacity RV Camper LP Propane Automatic Changeover Regulator and JR Products Compact Automatic Changeover 2-Stage Propane Regulator
    Item # 37207-31525, which is low pressure.

I am thinking High pressure due to the furnace, just guessing.
    Jason, The GR-9984 is the one you want. Its set at the standard low pressure of 11" water column for RVs. It's the one I used a couple of times when I replaced the switchover regulator in our Solitude. Ours started leaking around the top where the turn lever is. I use a propane sniffer from time to time to check our propane connections.
    Sniffer - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I stopped using the turn lever on top of the regulator to switch tanks. In ours the lever is always pointing to our right passenger tank, and when the right tank is empty and the indicator turns red, I get the right tank refilled. As soon as I reinstall the refilled right tank and open the valve the regulator turns green again. Since I stopped turning the lever, the last I replaced the main regulator was in August 2020.
    I think there is an O-ring or some kind of seal around the shaft of the turn lever that starts leaking after a few turns of the lever

I think a long time ago there was a GD recall on regulators IIRC. Don't quote me on that but I remember something about it on this forum when a lot of these valves were being changed.
    I did a search on the forum and this is the thread I found = https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...gulator+recall
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-12-2024 at 07:29 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Jason, The GR-9984 is the one you want. Its set at the standard low pressure of 11" water column for RVs. It's the one I used a couple of times when I replaced the switchover regulator in our Solitude. Ours started leaking around the top where the turn lever is. I use a propane sniffer from time to time to check our propane connections.
    Sniffer - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

I stopped using the turn lever on top of the regulator to switch tanks. In ours the lever is always pointing to our right passenger tank, and when the right tank is empty and the indicator turns red, I get the right tank refilled. As soon as I reinstall the refilled right tank and open the valve the regulator turns green again. Since I stopped turning the lever, the last I replaced the main regulator was in August 2020.
    I think there is an O-ring or some kind of seal around the shaft of the turn lever that starts leaking after a few turns of the lever

I think a long time ago there was a GD recall on regulators IIRC. Don't quote me on that but I remember something about it on this forum when a lot of these valves were being changed.
    I did a search on the forum and this is the thread I found = https://www.mygrandrv.com/forum/show...gulator+recall
    Thanks for the reply. I ordered the one you referenced last night, as I am leaving Friday for Big Bend, and wanted it fixed prior to leaving.

I saw the thread about recalls as well.

I also have the propane sniffer. I smelled propane and the sniffer kept alerting on the diverter switch. I figured the o-rind is bad.

Why do you keep the diverter pointing at the passenger side tank? Do you ever switch it to the driver side tank? I was thinking by regularly moving the diverter it may keep it lubricated. Not sure.

Thanks again for the reply. I am keeping Amazon in business.
    Jason & Celia-Texas
    2020 GMC Denali, Dually

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason-Texas View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I ordered the one you referenced last night, as I am leaving Friday for Big Bend, snip

Why do you keep the diverter pointing at the passenger side tank? Do you ever switch it to the driver side tank? I was thinking by regularly moving the diverter it may keep it lubricated. Not sure.

Thanks again for the reply. I am keeping Amazon in business.
    Nope, I never turn the diverter switch lever to the left driver side tank. I have no proof to my theory, but I think moving the diverter switch lever back and forth (right tank to the left tank) wears out the O-ring in the top of the regulator and after awhile the regulator starts to leak around the top of the switch lever.
    Having both tanks turned on, if the right passenger tank runs out, the left drivers tank takes over and the indicator turns red. As soon as I refill and replace the right passenger tank the indicator flip's back green again. Every once in a while I'll swap the 30# tanks side to side just to make sure they both get refilled. We only use a lot of propane in the winter staying up in northern states.

Like I said I have no proof of my theory, but after having to change the switchover regulator twice, I stopped having to change the switchover regulator because of leaks at the switch lever.

BIG Bend - I think you'll love Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park if you like really isolated type places with a wide verity of cactus and beautiful landscape, but I think it will get really hot fast this year. There isn't much around Big Bend as far as conveniences / stores but we absolutely loved it! We went there last year in May and stayed at Maverick Ranch RV park in LaJitas and it is a "Dark Sky Park" = no outside lights at night. Beautiful night sky!

The biggest towns with shopping are North to Alpine and hour away and Presidio right on the boarder crossing to the West 50 miles away from Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park. The drive from Big Bend to Presidio on Tx 170 is one of the best scenic drives in the US. Stop by Fort Leaton on the way.

Lots of beautiful trails and hiking (Santa Elena Canyon) around the area but be very prepared for hiking, with well stocked back packs and carry a lot of water. Hiking check in and out at the ranger stations. Seriously be prepared! This time of the year it's still cool yet but it will heat up fast I think this year. There were several deaths at Big Bend last year because people were not prepared and died on the trails.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-12-2024 at 08:55 AM.
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, I'm a bit confused about how the auto switch valve works. Call the tanks A and B. I thought it switched to the B tank when the A tank ran dry, and adding a full A tank would not cause the valve to switch to the A tank even though the indicator now showed green, but rather continue to use the B tank until it was empty, and then switch to the A tank. It sounds like it doesn't quite work that way?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Okay, I'm a bit confused about how the auto switch valve works. Call the tanks A and B. I thought it switched to the B tank when the A tank ran dry, and adding a full A tank would not cause the valve to switch to the A tank even though the indicator now showed green, but rather continue to use the B tank until it was empty, and then switch to the A tank. It sounds like it doesn't quite work that way?
    Not on ours it doesn't. I know it sounds strange but we have run this way for over years. With our regulator selector valve set to Tank A always, the regulator indicator is green. When our Tank A runs empty the switch regulator indicator goes red and auto switches to Tank B. Without moving the regulator valve lever, as soon as I replace Tank A now full and open the tank valve, the regulator indicator turns back to green and the regulator switches back to Tank A. I have verified it numerous times.

Our Tank B is always near full and stays that way all the time. Now propane is used out of Tank B a little each time during the switch over time period, until I can get tank A refilled). I only ever have to get Tank A refilled and replaced. We can run this way all year long and through the winter.

Now eventually maybe after a year, Tank B will need to be refilled or topped off at some point because during each switch over time when tank A has gone empty, Tank B has been used a little each time. Eventually over a years time period or more Tank B will get near empty depending on how many times Tank A ran out and Tank B was used... Every year right before really winter cold hits I refill Tank A, then I swap the tanks side to side, (Tank A becomes B physically) this is to make sure Tank B is always refilled or topped off for the coming year. Does that make sense? I never ever move the regulator selector valve. I only have to get Tank B refilled once a year.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-12-2024 at 11:47 AM.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It does make sense, but I didn't know they worked that way. It certainly makes more sense than the way some people do it, which is to only open one tank at a time, and manually switch when it runs dry. If I tried that you can be sure it will run out on the rainiest, coldest night at 2 AM.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    Nope, I never turn the diverter switch lever to the left driver side tank. I have no proof to my theory, but I think moving the diverter switch lever back and forth (right tank to the left tank) wears out the O-ring in the top of the regulator and after awhile the regulator starts to leak around the top of the switch lever.
    Having both tanks turned on, if the right passenger tank runs out, the left drivers tank takes over and the indicator turns red. As soon as I refill and replace the right passenger tank the indicator flip's back green again. Every once in a while I'll swap the 30# tanks side to side just to make sure they both get refilled. We only use a lot of propane in the winter staying up in northern states.

Like I said I have no proof of my theory, but after having to change the switchover regulator twice, I stopped having to change the switchover regulator because of leaks at the switch lever.

BIG Bend - I think you'll love Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park if you like really isolated type places with a wide verity of cactus and beautiful landscape, but I think it will get really hot fast this year. There isn't much around Big Bend as far as conveniences / stores but we absolutely loved it! We went there last year in May and stayed at Maverick Ranch RV park in LaJitas and it is a "Dark Sky Park" = no outside lights at night. Beautiful night sky!

The biggest towns with shopping are North to Alpine and hour away and Presidio right on the boarder crossing to the West 50 miles away from Big Bend National Park and Big Bend State Park. The drive from Big Bend to Presidio on Tx 170 is one of the best scenic drives in the US. Stop by Fort Leaton on the way.

Lots of beautiful trails and hiking (Santa Elena Canyon) around the area but be very prepared for hiking, with well stocked back packs and carry a lot of water. Hiking check in and out at the ranger stations. Seriously be prepared! This time of the year it's still cool yet but it will heat up fast I think this year. There were several deaths at Big Bend last year because people were not prepared and died on the trails.
    Thanks for info on Big Bend. Very aware about hydration as I have grown up in Texas.

We plan to hike Santa Elana canyon and then kayak it, if the water is running.
    Jason & Celia-Texas
    2020 GMC Denali, Dually