Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Two Westlakes blowout on return trip.

Less than 8K miles, tires looked good to excellent, 81 pounds at 79 degrees. Age is 3.5 years so tire eaten within is likely the issue. First blowout was loud very loud bang! and is everyone’s nightmare, at the peak of the Morgan City bridge ‘ Long–Allen Bridge’ at 3,745.2 ft. long and over the Atchafalaya River. Got the bottle jack and extra jack stand because this bridge shakes when 18 wheelers pass by. Lucky there was a good Y striped area still on the bridge where an exit lane was, but still about 30 feet above ground. Cop helped with his lights to ease the tension. No good tire replacement in town so a new Walmart China bomb was used. Second was a few hours from home. Bang! This time in luck as Discount Tire was 32 miles close by and sort-of on our route. Four new Goodyear Endurance, replace spare tire with new one from Walmart from two days ago. In and out in under an hour. My plan was to change the tires before a long up coming trip. That would have taken me four to six hours since it’s an hour to the nearest tire place with Goodyear Endurance. In a way I am glad it happened as now it’s done. Also had everything ready for this kind of event which really matters. Right tools and safety items.
    Jess
    Dark sky of the Texas Hill Country
    2022 2600RB
    Renogy; 1050 Watts Solar, 3000 Watt Inverter, Rover 100 Amp MPPT and DCC50S
    2022 F250 Lariat Godzilla 7.3L

Mentioned
    52 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandadcast View Post
    Less than 8K miles, tires looked good to excellent, 81 pounds at 79 degrees. Age is 3.5 years so tire eaten within is likely the issue. First blowout was loud very loud bang! and is everyone’s nightmare, at the peak of the Morgan City bridge ‘ Long–Allen Bridge’ at 3,745.2 ft. long and over the Atchafalaya River. Got the bottle jack and extra jack stand because this bridge shakes when 18 wheelers pass by. Lucky there was a good Y striped area still on the bridge where an exit lane was, but still about 30 feet above ground. Cop helped with his lights to ease the tension. No good tire replacement in town so a new Walmart China bomb was used. Second was a few hours from home. Bang! This time in luck as Discount Tire was 32 miles close by and sort-of on our route. Four new Goodyear Endurance, replace spare tire with new one from Walmart from two days ago. In and out in under an hour. My plan was to change the tires before a long up coming trip. That would have taken me four to six hours since it’s an hour to the nearest tire place with Goodyear Endurance. In a way I am glad it happened as now it’s done. Also had everything ready for this kind of event which really matters. Right tools and safety items.
    Jess
    Wow, that first blowout sounds scary on the bridge. Glad it all worked out for you.
    Stephen and Judy
    2022 Reflection 150 Series 260RD (Stella)
    2017 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD (Blue)
    Traded - 2018 Forest River Rockwood Minilite 2104S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same side? I’ve twice had a second tire on the same side blow shortly after the other let go. Don’t know if it’s the overload from running on a single tire or the result of hitting something.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jkwilson View Post
    Same side? I’ve twice had a second tire on the same side blow shortly after the other let go. Don’t know if it’s the overload from running on a single tire or the result of hitting something.

The first one was on the rear passenger side and the second was on the front driver side.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Grandadcast View Post
    Jess
    Your tire problem occurred on what I consider the worst spot for a blowout. 22 miles of bridge and spots where the shoulder may not get you out of the
    traffic lane. We crossed on Mar 3 and the entire distance I was mentally preparing for a problem, luckily none occurred. My worry was that the trucks are so close
    it could easily blow trailer off jacks.

You have my utmost respect:
    Bob A.
    Bob & Alice
    2020 Ram 3500 Limited Megacab SRW Aisin
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2450RL
    ProPride 3P 1400 lb. bars WDH
    Micro Air easy start, Goodyear Endurance Load rated "E" Tires
    Titan 50 gallon diesel replacement tank
    Previous: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited