User Tag List

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Morryde Safe-T-rail install issues

So today I installed the Morryde Safe-T-rail on my 337. Everything went good until i tried it for the first time. The inner rail slipped completely out of the outer piece. This caused the separation of the railing and nylon bushings/wavy washers/pin to go flying. There are 2 holes on each side of the outer piece where i see most pictures have just one and a shiny piece. I cannot figure out what holds it together.

So... What am i missing? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1266.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	50043
    2022 337RLS & 2017 CTD Ram long bed
    720w of solar & Victron MPPT/battery monitors
    4x100AHr LiPo batteries & 2500w PSW
    Lots of other mods too....

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
    So today I installed the Morryde Safe-T-rail on my 337. Everything went good until i tried it for the first time. The inner rail slipped completely out of the outer piece. This caused the separation of the railing and nylon bushings/wavy washers/pin to go flying. There are 2 holes on each side of the outer piece where i see most pictures have just one and a shiny piece. I cannot figure out what holds it together.

So... What am i missing? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG1266.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	77.6 KB 
ID:	50043
    What is a Safe-T rail?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    What is a Safe-T rail?
    It's a new style hand rail. Extends out to provide something to hold onto before you start up the steps.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I purchased one and by the time I got done, I ended up butchering it to my liking.

The stock rail size is way too long for my liking. It almost sticks out where someone will hit it walking by. It stuck out way further than the steps does. If you have a full size right slide, it may not be in the way, but it certainly was before I modified things. The way it is now, the rail ends the same distance as the steps.

I like the rail, but is it kind of loose. Just the tolerances with how they designed/built this thing. I will be working on getting the slop out of that too.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So i found out that i was missing a couple of rivets in the upper holes of the outer ar to keep the inner rail from sliding out. Since it was apart anyway, i figured I'd try to some of the side movement. I added nylon washers to where the arm connects to the inner rail. Made a big difference. BTW, the washers have to be slid into place from the underside of the rail. Have a couple of extras, in case you drop them. Also, get an extra wavy washer in case one of them falls too. I park my rig on #1 limestone, anything that lands on the gravel seems to disappear.ATTACH=CONFIG]50096[/ATTACH]

I really like the Safe-T-Rail. Much better than the fold out rail i had. It just needed a tweak and its good to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20240317_150010.jpg   IMG_20240317_145905.jpg  

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RPAspey View Post
    So i found out that i was missing a couple of rivets in the upper holes of the outer ar to keep the inner rail from sliding out. Since it was apart anyway, i figured I'd try to some of the side movement. I added nylon washers to where the arm connects to the inner rail. Made a big difference. BTW, the washers have to be slid into place from the underside of the rail. Have a couple of extras, in case you drop them. Also, get an extra wavy washer in case one of them falls too. I park my rig on #1 limestone, anything that lands on the gravel seems to disappear.ATTACH=CONFIG]50096[/ATTACH]

I really like the Safe-T-Rail. Much better than the fold out rail i had. It just needed a tweak and its good to go.
    Did you have to cut the trim piece between the skirting and fiberglass?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bull84 View Post
    Did you have to cut the trim piece between the skirting and fiberglass?
    Yes.I used an oscillating tool to cut the piece. Then carefully lifted and bent it tobreak it off. Although probably unnecessary, I also used sealant in areas that looked like water could intrude.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I install one and love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20231215_134127_resized.jpg   20231215_134147_resized.jpg   20231215_134503_resized.jpg  
    2022 GMC Denali Ultimate DRW
    2023 North Point 310RLTS
    MSG Retired Army

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have one, but, that rail sure doesn't look very strong.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rail does have some play in it, but it's strong. I plan on 'tighten up' the guides on mine. The rail is really heavy gauge metal. The only plastic are the end caps and some washers.

It is not as rigid as the one I removed, but I hated the other one since I have a slide on one side so the only way to close it was to put it in front of the door. This rail mounts beside the door and looks more stock.

As strong as the rail and mounting system is, I suspect the mounting bolts would come out of the trailer before it broke. I also believe it will support an average size drunk camper after sitting around a camp fire for a few hours.
    Last edited by Butcher; 03-29-2024 at 07:20 AM.