Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: RVing Etiquette

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I don't think he mentioned "EXPECTING" in his comments anywhere. You are correct though in the fact that Your time is your time and how you choose to spend it is entirely up to you. If you feel like offering some help to someone that is having issues, or if you don't....entirely your decision. There are obviously people that need/want some help, along with others that don't want or need help, and you have a choice on how you react...or not, to them.

He never.specifically stated he was expecting. but it was the tone of the entire post.

I have never asked for help in any aspect of my rv experience. when I have been out working I have had some campground neighbors come over and offer a hand and chat. that is fine.....but not expected.

I have been asked to help on multiple occasions from flat tires to structural issues. where is the boundary?
    GMC 2500 HD Gas
    GD Imagine XLS22 MLE

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BoredWeasel View Post
    He never.specifically stated he was expecting. but it was the tone of the entire post.

I have never asked for help in any aspect of my rv experience. when I have been out working I have had some campground neighbors come over and offer a hand and chat. that is fine.....but not expected.

I have been asked to help on multiple occasions from flat tires to structural issues. where is the boundary?
    Like most things in life, for some folks there are no boundaries. What you or I might feel like when asking for help, could be the total opposite for someone else. Personally, I will usually not ask for help until it is truly needed.....not just for convenience sake. I'm kind of hard headed that way. Others, may be just the opposite and will ask someone for help when they could likely do it themselves or maybe just seeking a way to start a conversation, and that is their way in.

I have offered help before, if I see someone "struggling." And even that is up for discussion as to whether they are struggling in "my opinion" or maybe it's just the way they do things and it's all perfectly "normal" for them......which may not be "normal" for me, so I think they are struggling, when they aren't. In those situations I may ask if they need or want some help or assistance, and if they do, I'll try to help them, but stay within my limits of what I will do or not do. I certainly do want to be the one taking the blame for something happening to their equipment while I'm offering to help them. So, there is sometimes a fine line between even offering to help (depending what they are doing or what the issue is) and me not offering help.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I think anytime someone is doing something other than normal CG stuff (i.e. dumping, hook up/disconnect, parking, unloading/loading, check tire pressure/lug tightness) is probably a cause for some struggle - if atleast mentally. Not sure many folks want to actually "fix" on their rig while camping.

However, I do usually set myself up with some RV projects to do when we head out for an extended time. Because of it, I do get the occasional "offers" too, which Im happy to take the additional minute(s) to answer questions. Sometimes folks just want to ask questions about mods or other such things they notice about your rig, other times it might be that their just curious.... Ive always got that at my stick built too and am ok with it.

Offering to help or supply tools is a nice gesture IMO - just gotta know when being a nuisance or not....
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As a boondocker in remote areas, I never fail to offer help, or turn anyone down. With no phone service, I may be the only hope for help.
    I have had some interesting experiences and met some fine people doing this.
    Hopefully, if I ever need help, some like minded person will come along.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay, time for another humorous example. Quite a few years ago (late 80's) we had just purchased a used 1983 Mercury Colony Park station wagon. At the time our three children were quite young, still taking afternoon naps. Of course, to them, the most important part of any campground was the playground. After the tent was set up, supper consumed and cleaned up, we loaded up the kids for a trip to the playground for a bit before bed. As we drove out from our site, I noticed a strange noise from under the hood. I pulled over and popped the hood. At that time, if you lifted the hood in a campground you would have a dozen men there to help. After listening to the noise for a bit, the general consensus was that the car had swallowed a valve. Sorry, kids, no visit to the playground tonight. It was just too far for their short legs. We pushed the car back to our site and had one of those moments when someone should have had a video camera. The road sloped back down toward our site, but it looked level. One of the guys pushed the car with just one finger. Of course, he gave it a pretty good shove with both hands first.

The next day an older couple took pity on us. They offered to let the kids nap in their air-conditioned motor home, and brought a mechanic they knew out to confirm the diagnosis, which he did. He said he could replace the engine if we could find one to put in. We looked all over the area, but no 302 V8 engines were available, so we bought an old Cadillac to tow the Mercury back home (day's drive). One guy crawled under the car to remove the drive shaft while another dug out an old tent to wrap it in.

When we got home I dropped everyone off at home, then towed the Mercury three blocks to the Ford dealer. He listened to it and thought the same thing, dropped valve. Just for grins, though, he dropped the oil pan and found a piece of carbon that had been jarred loose. We drove that car for several years and over 100,000 more miles.

Yes, there are a few people who aren't all that nice, but they are only a few. The majority of people are nice and willing to help in an emergency.
    David Lininger, kb0zke
    Rev. 2:10c
    2022 Reflection 315RLTS, 2016 F350 CC SRW King Ranch
    https://www.smugmug.com/app/organize/2022-315RLTS-Solar

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ...and then there's the not so funny one....

We were going to meet our sons inlaws in IL. So, we packed up the trailer and landed at an old RV park in IL. Unbeknownst to us, the park was partly filled with traveling workers who were working on some local project. As we pulled in and began to back our 5er into our site, 5 different guys (plus my wife) came out and all started to tell me how to manuever into the site.

After about 2 minutes of this..... I stopped and told everyone (but the DW) to kindly shutup. I said she is the only one I want to focus on and the only other person than me with a vested interest in our truck and RV. Plus, she both needs to learn and do this, so in the future we can work as a team. Well, of course, we never heard from those guys again during our stay.

IMO, this qualifies as one of those times for silent friendly neighbor curiosity... and tactful polite reminders.
    Jim and Annette
    2019 Reflection 150 295RL
    US Army Veteran
    Missouri (AKA Misery)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    As a boondocker in remote areas, I never fail to offer help, or turn anyone down. With no phone service, I may be the only hope for help.
    I follow the “pay it forward” philosophy. I’ve received assistance when I was too proud (stubborn) to ask for it. I’ve helped tie down awnings during storms, loosen lug nuts and raise a fifth wheel on bottle jacks and boards when the landing gear failed so the guy could hook up his truck. To me, it’s the neighborly thing to do. If you don’t want my help, no problem, I’ll walk away. But, I’ve found more often than not, peeps welcome the assistance. YMMV
    Rich
    '16 Ram 2500 CTD CC 4x4 / '21 Imagine 2600RB
    The Journey Is The Destination

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    Boondockers are different. When someone has an issue in a remote area, everybody does what they can to help...a few years ago we were boondocking and a guy had his steering line burst on his F250. I did a four hour round trip to the closest town to get the line so he could bring his rig home. You can't leave a dude stranded.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes getting unsolicited help can be amusing. Back in the Aliner days I went to a SP to meet up with my sister in laws for a womans camping weekend. I was the first one there and proceeded to park the Aliner by myself (I miss those easy back in days!) I parked all the way back in the site about 3 ft from a tree. As I was chocking the trailer a concerned man walked up to let me know I was to close to the tree. So close my bunkend would not be able to come out and I should move forward some. I thanked him for his concern and tried to explain I had no bunk ends. He must have never seen an Aframe camper before because he insisted I do. I just told him to watch a min. His jaw dropped in amazement as I took all of 30 seconds to pop it up. The look on his face was worth the conversation, I thanked him for his concern and went about completing my little bit of set up .

There are times when as a seasoned camper you can often tell if someone is in need of help. When it is that obvious we offer it up and if they don't want assistance we walk off knowing we offered .

Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sometimes it becomes a liability, or possible one, in helping.
    I had a Texas neighbor next to me last winter in Texas, 2 sights down. Nice enough lady, seemed to sneak in religion and politics in any, and every conversation. One day, she comes over wanting me to move her camper to another campground. It would be across a 1/2 mile 4 lane bridge. The camper, was old and not cared for. It had clear packing tape holding the super slide in, not one jack left, as they had all rusted out, even the foot on the crank down jack was gone, rusted off.
    ... I could have been wrong, but i assumed it was not registered or insured. I had a very hard time getting out of it, or lets say, saying no. I could just imagine a wheel coming off half way across that bridge.
    ... One of the good old boy neighbors did it, thank goodness, with there jacked up straight pipped diesel dually.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast