Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Inverter Use

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Inverter Use

2023 Solitude 301GK with two solar panels two Group 27 batteries, and factory installed inverter. One question: can I leave the inverter on while boon docking and occasionally running my Honda generator for two hours?

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is a constant draw from the inverter whether you are running any 110 items or not. depending on your usage if minimal, the solar panels will keep up. With the group 27 batteries, the charging is slow. if they are at 50%, which would be the minimum, it will take like 8 hours to fully charge. I recommend Lithium batteries if you do a lot of boondocking. The Lithium can be run basically to near zero%. With the proper charger/inverter, the lithium will charge fully in just 2 hours.
    hope this helps,
    Brian
    Brian and Lennette
    2018 GMC 2500 Duramax
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    240 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, the inverter should allow the 110 from the gen set to pass through.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you both. So basically, it's okay to leave the inverter on, but it'll be drawing energy all the time. So, my best course of action is to replace the Group 27 batteries with lithium batteries.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retired wrench View Post
    Thank you both. So basically, it's okay to leave the inverter on, but it'll be drawing energy all the time. So, my best course of action is to replace the Group 27 batteries with lithium batteries.
    When the generator is on, the transfer switch by/in the inverter will switch to the generator and cut off the inverter, so no power coming from the inverter/batteries. It is OK to leave the inverter on. The very small parasitic load in the inverter will be more than offset by battery charging current coming from the converter/charger if needed.
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really need a battery monitor to see what the battery voltage/percentage is. If you discharge below 50% very much you will ruin the batteries. You probably have a battery monitor on your coach, you just have to find it, if not get one. Then you can make a pot of coffee. Check the voltage right after and then 5 minutes later. The voltage will come back up a little after a rest period. The gas furnace is where you will burn up your battery energy, so watch one carefully.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually