User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandtb1919 View Post
    I'm horrified by all this. JD on BTBRV mentioned a possibility of being limited to "larger" fivers and toy-haulers. Apparently even one as "small" as a 310 is not immune. I have been paranoid about the suspension on ours, the springs are nearly flat and we only have about 12,000 miles on it. That is why I made the appointment for the IS. They are so booked out I couldn't get in until September, but I'll hold onto my appointment until I figure out the frame.

Were you given the choice of having a dealer look at this or the factory? I agree with a past comment that I wouldn't feel great about a dealer addressing this. In your personal opinion is GD pretty willing to offer an inspection if you get the rig to them?

Sorry for all of the questions, but that's the great thing about these forums!

Brian
    I think I received the factory appointment due to the massive suspension issues we suffered at Glacier NP, concern that the repairs done by the independent trailer shop were done correctly, concern about suspension parts that weren't replaced, and some of the continuing issues we faced on the way home from Montana plus the structure was still under warranty. We were surrounded by forest fires that were not under control, terrible air quality, and when I saw the damage and was cautioned only drive 20 miles or so for repairs, sent an email to the CEO since nobody in the area had parts and I couldn't source a repair facility. GD diverted one of their 11 mobile techs and he made some temporary repairs and reported to GD that springs, wet bolts, shackles needed to be replaced after his inspection. He was also able to weld on two new rear hangers otherwise I would not have made 100 miles without breaking down again.

Once I glanced at the comments on BTBRV (most probably don't own one) and saw the title of his one video specifically calling out Grand Design, I didn't watch any. Also, I had opened a flex case back in June of 2022 with both Lippert and Grand Design because of the filon screws and that was before most of these YT videos were ever posted. Both approved removing the filon to take measurements. Turned out the dealer said they did but in reality didn't and provided Lippert with measurements that were not possible.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandtb1919 View Post
    May I ask what issues you are seeing on your 310? I need to check mine carefully this spring, but I have had a few if the screws break attaching the filon to the lower edge of the front cap. I believe this was one of the telltale signs of over flex.

Thanks,

Brian
    Brian,
    If you are still within the 3 year structure warranty and have any concerns about or symptoms of abnormal flex, I would call them to get a case opened. They may have you take it to your local dealer for inspection and start with that as I did. There are reinforcements that will be done even if the measurements are in spec.
    Robin & John
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Brian,
    If you are still within the 3 year structure warranty and have any concerns about or symptoms of abnormal flex, I would call them to get a case opened. They may have you take it to your local dealer for inspection and start with that as I did. There are reinforcements that will be done even if the measurements are in spec.
    Just my luck, my 3 years was up in December. I assume it is 3 years from delivery, as I got it in Dec of 2020. But if the TSB mentions 21-23 model years, I may still be in luck.

Thanks!
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anybody been to a recent Grand Design Rally? Just curious if this is the topic being discussed.
    Allen & Denise
    Ford F350 Lariat CC SRW SB 4x4 Diesel
    2018 Solitude 310GK R

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have only viewed 2 videos concerning the frame failure. One from BTBRV which I only viewed about half, and one just this morning from Jared All About RV's adding more lag screws in his Reflection.

From this thread it seems to be 2021+ Solitude/Momentum referencing the TSB. So it appears our 2019 built in the fall of 2018 "may" not be affected.

I confess, I'm at a loss to understand all that is going on, but when I see a lot of video ranting and raving, I don't watch. The video from Jared seemed disjointed, was confusing and he talks way to fast for me to keep up or understand what he's trying to say, and where in the heck did he put that plate that he riveted in.

Heck I don't even know where these lag screws are they keep talking about in our RV. But since we have the bedroom slide up front going out the left front side, how in the world would I ever get in behind the bed slide to check for these lag screws. I don't even know where they are on the right side, back inside the front closet?
    But so far I see no signs of the exterior walls cracking, decals wrinkling, propane doors warping, the round over trim flexing or coming loose or screws popping on the underside of the front nose.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-25-2024 at 08:37 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    I have only viewed 2 videos concerning the frame failure. One from BTBRV which I only viewed about half, and one just this morning from Jared All About RV's adding more lag screws in his Reflection.

From this thread it seems to be 2021+ Solitude/Momentum referencing the TSB. So it appears our 2019 built in the fall of 2018 "may" not be affected.

I confess, I'm at a loss to understand all that is going on, but when I see a lot of video ranting and raving, I don't watch. The video from Jared seemed disjointed, was confusing and he talks way to fast for me to keep up or understand what he's trying to say, and where in the heck did he put that plate that he riveted in.

Heck I don't even know where these lag screws are they keep talking about in our RV. But since we have the bedroom slide up front going out the left front side, how in the world would I ever get in behind the bed slide to check for these lag screws. I don't even know where they are on the right side, back inside the front closet?
    But so far I see no signs of the exterior walls cracking, decals wrinkling, propane doors warping, the round over trim flexing or coming loose or screws popping on the underside of the front nose.
    It is an issue across the manufacturer board. But BTBRV had no reason to call out GD. He ONLY did that because they didn't respond to him in the time frame he wanted (he's YT channel not GOD) - it was the only brand he captioned on his video series. I imagine his head is as big as his RV and this was a good opportunity to make YT money. Since he changes RVs every year or so (hmmmm), he's not likely to see the issues on what he is currently supposedly pulling around. And, oh by the way, the GD TSB was issued before he posted his rant video. What do you expect when he posts GD Finally Responds - RV Frame Flex? That's when I determined never to watch his garbage again. There are people on this forum that GD has taken care of wrt upper deck frame failure. It happens and I personally believe these are COVID build related. They are looking at mine in Elkhart next month. I've seen the TSB - repairs aren't trivial even if measurements are in spec. Blab on YT or other social media and YMMV. That is not an appropriate way to get what you want - might as well say you've gotten a lawyer - same effect - shuts down all converastion. I've had nothing but positive responses from GD and would recommend them highly.
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is an issue across the manufacturer board. But BTBRV had no reason to call out GD. He ONLY did that because they didn't respond to him in the time frame he wanted (he's YT channel not GOD) - it was the only brand he captioned on his video series. I imagine his head is as big as his RV and this was a good opportunity to make YT money. Since he changes RVs every year or so (hmmmm), he's not likely to see the issues on what he is currently supposedly pulling around. And, oh by the way, the GD TSB was issued before he posted his rant video. What do you expect when he posts GD Finally Responds - RV Frame Flex? That's when I determined never to watch his garbage again. There are people on this forum that GD has taken care of wrt upper deck frame failure. It happens and I personally believe these are COVID build related. They are looking at mine in Elkhart next month. I've seen the TSB - repairs aren't trivial even if measurements are in spec. Blab on YT or other social media and YMMV. That is not an appropriate way to get what you want - might as well say you've gotten a lawyer - same effect - shuts down all converastion. I've had nothing but positive responses from GD and would recommend them highly.
    I have an appointment with a local dealer in July to have them do the TSB. Yes July which is one thing but I do have an appointment. The question I have since you have seen the TSB. Would you think a dealer can correctly perform the TSB? I am concerned about them maybe making things worse if it is not trivial and wonder if I should try to get it to Elkhart to have GD service center do it?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good luck to you when they take a look at it. If it was me I would have more confidence in GD looking at it in their service center than a dealer doing it. Some dealers I here are pretty good, others are not.
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-26-2024 at 05:30 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Calbar View Post
    I have an appointment with a local dealer in July to have them do the TSB. Yes July which is one thing but I do have an appointment. The question I have since you have seen the TSB. Would you think a dealer can correctly perform the TSB? I am concerned about them maybe making things worse if it is not trivial and wonder if I should try to get it to Elkhart to have GD service center do it?

Thanks,
    Rob
    Agree with @Steven@147, depends upon the dealer and how much confidence you have in their techs. It is possible the dealer will just make the inspection and then report back to GD. I was concerned about work quality when they replaced my entire Schwintek slide system and replaced the bedroom wall but they seemed to do a good job and that involved removing the entire bedroom slide. I think inspection can be done partially by dropping the filon and then it depends upon what they find. Might have to pull the cap, but after talking with GD, that isn't a given. I don't know how they get to the lag bolts from the inside if they have to without removing the interior. For this one, I'm glad GD is looking at it (and also the suspension which is another huge part of this trip).
    Robin & John

2023 stays

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yobigal View Post
    Has anybody been to a recent Grand Design Rally? Just curious if this is the topic being discussed.
    I wonder if any of these frame issues might be related to useing regular hitchs & standard pinbox as opposed to airride pinbox or air ride hitchs.
    I ask this based on useing standard hitch/pinbox until 2yrs ago going to an airride hitch. Such a difference IMHO in the stresses put on rv & truck

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast