User Tag List

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GM Factory Gooseball Hitch Slop and Goosebox

Hello, I upgraded trucks a while back, my previous truck had a B & W square sided turnover ball, my new truck has the GM factory system with the round shank. I use the truck for multiple different trailers and have a B & W ball that fits the factory connection. I noticed that the ball has slop in its bore in the truck. Apparently this is a known issue and was planned, the slop keeps the ball from seizing in the hitch. I've pulled gooseneck trailers for close to 30 yrs and this is the first loose fitting hitch I have ever seen. I picked up a goosebox a while back and was going to put it on my fifth wheel, but slop in the ball gives me pause. I was wanting to reach out and see what type results others with this same system are experiencing. I suppose that with enough weight on the hitch and the air ride of the goosebox that the feeling of it could be negated. Only thing I have had on that ball so far is a lightly loaded cattle trailer. Definitely felt the slop at low speed and unloaded. I have access to a B & W Companion that fits my puck system, I moved the fifth wheel with it the other day and it was tight as a jug.
    Matt and Pam
    2012 Chevrolet 2500 HD
    2022 Reflection 31MB
    Previous MPG 2100RB

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Recovering Workaoholic View Post
    Hello, I upgraded trucks a while back, my previous truck had a B & W square sided turnover ball, my new truck has the GM factory system with the round shank. I use the truck for multiple different trailers and have a B & W ball that fits the factory connection. I noticed that the ball has slop in its bore in the truck. Apparently this is a known issue and was planned, the slop keeps the ball from seizing in the hitch. I've pulled gooseneck trailers for close to 30 yrs and this is the first loose fitting hitch I have ever seen. I picked up a goosebox a while back and was going to put it on my fifth wheel, but slop in the ball gives me pause. I was wanting to reach out and see what type results others with this same system are experiencing. I suppose that with enough weight on the hitch and the air ride of the goosebox that the feeling of it could be negated. Only thing I have had on that ball so far is a lightly loaded cattle trailer. Definitely felt the slop at low speed and unloaded. I have access to a B & W Companion that fits my puck system, I moved the fifth wheel with it the other day and it was tight as a jug.
    Same problem with our Ram. Lubing the ball and the shank didn't seem to help - clanks when I start and stop or even let off the accelerator. Migrated from a B&W to a Curt ball (not as tall). Much less slop and noise even though the specs say the Curt could be one or two thousandths smaller than the B&W in diameter. I was told the same - built in slop to prevent gooseballs from not being able to be extricated when left in for a long period of time. We have 20K on our Goosebox with factory puck system.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve had the GM system on my 2017 and now on my 2024 using the goosebox. Both using the GM ball. I don’t notice any issues but I don’t have anything to compare to either.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Same problem with our Ram. Lubing the ball and the shank didn't seem to help - clanks when I start and stop or even let off the accelerator. Migrated from a B&W to a Curt ball (not as tall). Much less slop and noise even though the specs say the Curt could be one or two thousandths smaller than the B&W in diameter. I was told the same - built in slop to prevent gooseballs from not being able to be extricated when left in for a long period of time. We have 20K on our Goosebox with factory puck system.
    It makes sense that a shorter ball would demonstrate less movement even if it was slightly smaller diameter due to the fact that's its top is closer to the axis of movement. I take it that slop is not enough of an issue to deter you from the Goosebox though.
    Matt and Pam
    2012 Chevrolet 2500 HD
    2022 Reflection 31MB
    Previous MPG 2100RB

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It makes sense that a shorter ball would demonstrate less movement even if it was slightly smaller diameter due to the fact that's its top is closer to the axis of movement. I take it that slop is not enough of an issue to deter you from the Goosebox though.
    Nope. I really like the way it pulls but it was installed pre-delivery so I don't have a traditional hitch to compare it to. One of the reasons I replaced the B&W was simply too much height over the bed rails which made the trailer appear nose high. I know other folks with different TVs have needed that extra height for bed rail clearance.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan 4014 payload
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've got the GM factory puck system and use a Goosebox. Yes, the ball has some slight movement in the OE puck system, but has no effect on the trailer or strength of the setup.
    2023 Reflection 370FLS