User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar and charging when RV attached to shore powerV

Last year I added a solar panel to my RV. I did that mainly to avoid taking out the flooded 57 lb battery and let the solar panel keep it fully charged. I also added a Bluetooth device that lets me read the solar usage and the battery voltage from my phone. This has worked well and is doing a great job of keeping the battery charged. I brought the RV down to the home to de-winterize and plugged it into the electricity from my home. I noticed that with the electricity from the home, the battery was kept charged and it appeared the solar was no longer being used to keep the battery charged. I am not an electrician and went with a basic solar panel, controller and Bluetooth monitor to see if the battery was in float mode or boost, usually in the morning.

When hooked up to shore power, am I correct in saying that the solar setup steps aside as long as the shore power is keeping the battery charged?

Terry
    Last edited by terryriddle; 03-16-2024 at 05:25 PM.
    Terry and Elizabeth
    2020 Reflection 260RD Using Anderson Hitch
    2020 F350 SuperDuty Diesel Crew Dually Long Bed

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The battery doesn't know where charge current is coming from and neither the converter/charger nor the solar charge controller know the other exists. They both just see the voltage at the battery and respond accordingly. If the converter/charger is kicking in before the solar and keeping the battery charged, the solar system just thinks everything is fine and no charge is needed.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The battery doesn't know where charge current is coming from and neither the converter/charger nor the solar charge controller know the other exists. They both just see the voltage at the battery and respond accordingly. If the converter/charger is kicking in before the solar and keeping the battery charged, the solar system just thinks everything is fine and no charge is needed.

Rob
    Thanks Rob. That was my thought and I greatly appreciate the feedback. I just checked the app on my iPhone and it stated not charging (solar) yet the battery is at 13.6 volts, fully charged. Shore power has taken over, for sure, and the solar need not do anything... Thanks again for the quick response!

Terry

PS: We head to Jasper and Banff on June 2nd and return in mid-July with visits to some of the national parks we have visited before. We tried this in 2020 for our 50th anniversary and Covid canceled the trip. We were finally able to get several nights in Banff at an RV site and additional nights in Jasper. Just almost four years later. New battery, replaced the tires, and packing the bearings next week. Have a set of bearings/seals and tools to do a bearing job on the road, plus a slide motor if needed. Taking a cooler just in case I lose the frig due to a fan failure in the back of it, like last year. Very poor engineering for a frig to blow a 5amp fuse when one of the two fans fails. I has to remove the frig to replace the fan.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    One additional question. If I have the master electric switch in the RV turned off, does shore power still power the converter to charge the battery?
    Terry and Elizabeth

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by terryriddle View Post
    One additional question. If I have the master electric switch in the RV turned off, does shore power still power the converter to charge the battery?
    If you're talking about the battery cut-off switch, the answer is no for the converter/charger. The solar controller may or may not be wired directly to the battery. Be aware, too, that even with the battery cut-off switch off, there are still parasitic drains on the battery (CO detector, etc.). If you have shore power, leave the battery cut-off switch in the On position.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're talking about the battery cut-off switch, the answer is no for the converter/charger. The solar controller may or may not be wired directly to the battery. Be aware, too, that even with the battery cut-off switch off, there are still parasitic drains on the battery (CO detector, etc.). If you have shore power, leave the battery cut-off switch in the On position.

Rob
    The solar controller is wired directly to the battery and this morning it is in Boost Mode. If I understand your first sentence, with the battery cut-off switch in the off position, shore power will still maintain the battery via the converter/charger even if I did not have solar. Is that correct or does the battery cut-off switch also prevent shore power to use the converter/charger to maintain the battery? And yes, I do understand that even with the switch off, there are items that over time would drain the battery and it is best to disconnect the battery if I did not have shore power or solar power. I learned that the hard way years ago.

Sorry I am slow on the uptake... Appreciate Rob.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The solar controller is wired directly to the battery and this morning it is in Boost Mode. If I understand your first sentence, with the battery cut-off switch in the off position, shore power will still maintain the battery via the converter/charger even if I did not have solar. Is that correct or does the battery cut-off switch also prevent shore power to use the converter/charger to maintain the battery? And yes, I do understand that even with the switch off, there are items that over time would drain the battery and it is best to disconnect the battery if I did not have shore power or solar power. I learned that the hard way years ago.

Sorry I am slow on the uptake... Appreciate Rob.
    No - the shore power converter/charger will not charge the battery with the battery cut-off switch in the off position.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Rob for the clarification. That I did not know, and before solar, I took the battery out of the RV after each trip and kept it in the garage on a trickle charger. But lifting 57 lbs is a strain for me in my late seventies. I thought about using a lithium battery due to its lightweight and had read that my current charger/converter can take them to 80%. I know that my solar unit supports lithium and should take the battery to 100%.

Have a blessed day and thanks for the insight. I know now that when on shore power here at the house, I need to leave the battery cut-off switch in the on position so the converter/charger can do it's job.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Rob for the clarification. That I did not know, and before solar, I took the battery out of the RV after each trip and kept it in the garage on a trickle charger. But lifting 57 lbs is a strain for me in my late seventies. I thought about using a lithium battery due to its lightweight and had read that my current charger/converter can take them to 80%. I know that my solar unit supports lithium and should take the battery to 100%.

Have a blessed day and thanks for the insight. I know now that when on shore power here at the house, I need to leave the battery cut-off switch in the on position so the converter/charger can do it's job.
    Terry
    I see no reason to ever turn the disconnect switch off. Just always leave it on. If you want the power off during storage or to do electrical repairs disconnect the positive battery cable. That way you know there are no live 12v wires. If you ever have any welding done to the frame, remove the battery positive cable and disconnect the solar panels (disconnect the solar panels first.)

BTW - do you have a disconnect between the solar panels and your solar controller? If not you should put one is as many of the controllers have issues of getting solar power when disconnected from a battery. The proper sequence for operating the panels and when disconnecting the battery is disconnect solar power from controller and then disconnect the battery. To power back up, connect the battery first then turn on the panels. I use 12v circuit breakers in my set up - also protect against panel shorts from reaching the controller. Size a little higher than your max panel output
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    Terry
    I see no reason to ever turn the disconnect switch off. Just always leave it on. If you want the power off during storage or to do electrical repairs disconnect the positive battery cable. That way you know there are no live 12v wires. If you ever have any welding done to the frame, remove the battery positive cable and disconnect the solar panels (disconnect the solar panels first.)

BTW - do you have a disconnect between the solar panels and your solar controller? If not you should put one is as many of the controllers have issues of getting solar power when disconnected from a battery. The proper sequence for operating the panels and when disconnecting the battery is disconnect solar power from controller and then disconnect the battery. To power back up, connect the battery first then turn on the panels. I use 12v circuit breakers in my set up - also protect against panel shorts from reaching the controller. Size a little higher than your max panel output
    Yes, on the line from the solar coming down into the front storage area, I have a mini-breaker before the control unit to protect it when the battery is disconnected or taken out.
    Terry and Elizabeth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast