User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dual Propane Regulator Replacement

Hello,

Our dual propane regulator went bad. It's not pulling from the opposite side via the long hose, it just shows red and it also doesn't automatically switch over. Any recommendations to test this, or should I just replace the entire thing? I don't want to play games with propane because we have a pet in the RV when we are not home.

Also, an RV tech in Jersey said he fixed it, which he didn't, he made it worse. Can someone please post a picture of both sides how you have it setup so I can see if something is off with mine?
    Last edited by EddieK82; 03-19-2024 at 10:13 AM.
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320MKS
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to General Tech Topics.

Those regulators have diaphragms in them that just go bad sometimes. I've had to replace two or three of them over the past few years (ordered them off Amazon). If you're not comfortable with making the connections and sealing them, get someone to do it who is. Also, making sure that the new regulator you get has the right size/type of nipples oriented in the right direction is important in addition to having adequate flow.

Rob

PS: did you make sure to open the valves on the LP tanks very slowly when you turned things back on? If opened too rapidly, an automatic shut-off valve in the tank will engage.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EddieK82 View Post
    Hello,

Our dual propane regulator went bad. It's not pulling from the opposite side via the long hose, it just shows red and it also doesn't automatically switch over. Any recommendations to test this, or should I just replace the entire thing? I don't want to play games with propane because we have a pet in the RV when we are not home.

Also, an RV tech in Jersey said he fixed it, which he didn't, he made it worse. Can someone please post a picture of both sides how you have it setup so I can see if something is off with mine?
    On our Solitude here is the dual regulator on the left side and the single regulator on the right side.
    I think I would swap the tanks from side to side then ensure the selector valve on top of the dual regulator was pointing to your bad side. open the tanks very slowly and then see if the regulator turns green and then pulls propane from your opposite side..
    If you change the dual regulator make sure to use sealing tape or thread sealant that is rated for gas. The thread tape is usually yellow for gas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2458.jpg   IMG_5667.jpg  
    Last edited by Steven@147; 03-20-2024 at 06:37 AM.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven@147 View Post
    On our Solitude here is the dual regulator on the left side and the single regulator on the right side.
    I think I would swap the tanks from side to side then ensure the selector valve on top of the dual regulator was pointing to your bad side. open the tanks very slowly and then see if the regulator turns green and then pulls propane from your opposite side..
    If you change the dual regulator make sure to use sealing tape or thread sealant that is rated for gas. The thread tape is usually yellow for gas.

Thank you for this image. I see I'm missing the red regulator from the right side tank, I have the tube going directly into the propane tank. Just to be sure, you have that red regulator on the long tube running to the other side, correct? I ordered a brand no dual regulator which will come in on March 31. Maybe my entire issue with I'm missing the red one?
    Ed & Kaitlin
    2018 F350 SD Platinum FX4 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 55 Gallon Titan Tank, Air Lift 5000.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Thread moved to General Tech Topics.

Those regulators have diaphragms in them that just go bad sometimes. I've had to replace two or three of them over the past few years (ordered them off Amazon). If you're not comfortable with making the connections and sealing them, get someone to do it who is. Also, making sure that the new regulator you get has the right size/type of nipples oriented in the right direction is important in addition to having adequate flow.

Rob

PS: did you make sure to open the valves on the LP tanks very slowly when you turned things back on? If opened too rapidly, an automatic shut-off valve in the tank will engage.

Hi, thanks Rob. I did open them slowly. I see I'm missing a red regulator from one side maybe? I ordered these from amazon:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DBFIXRC...roduct_details
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OKNWULK...roduct_details

I ordered both so I can see which one will fit/work best. They're the 2 that look almost identical to the one I have.
    Ed & Kaitlin

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi, thanks Rob. I did open them slowly. I see I'm missing a red regulator from one side maybe? I ordered these from amazon:

I ordered both so I can see which one will fit/work best. They're the 2 that look almost identical to the one I have.
    I just replaced mine with a Fairview GR-9984 High Capacity RV Camper LP Propane Automatic Changeover Regulator. The same brand as the original.
    Jason & Celia-Texas
    2019 GD Reflection 337 RLS
    2020 GMC Denali, Dually
    Pungo Kayaks,Lectric E-bikes

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for this image. I see I'm missing the red regulator from the right side tank, I have the tube going directly into the propane tank. Just to be sure, you have that red regulator on the long tube running to the other side, correct? I ordered a brand no dual regulator which will come in on March 31. Maybe my entire issue with I'm missing the red one?
    Yes, it must be there between the tank and the cross over line going to the other side.
    Steve & Tami Cass - Escapee's, FMCA Members, Texas Fulltimers Since July 2020
    2019 Solitude 3350RL S-Class, 2018 Ram 3500 DRW, Laramie Longhorn, B&W Companion, Texas Class A Non-CDL Drivers License
    Sharing the Fulltime Lifestyle - www.youtube.com/@tsrvadventures3219/videos, Nonprofit Channel

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The red one is a high pressure reg. 30 psi IIRC. Its only purpose is to protect the crossover line which is not rated for the full propane tank pressure. 30 psi is enough for the changeover valve to operate properly. The catch is that if the changeover is not working properly, it could be because the red one is faulty.....Don't ask me how I know this.

The red one is cheaper, so if you are guessing....Do that one first.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agreed. I thought my changeover regulator was bad, so I changed it but it was the red regulator that was the culprit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bad regulator

Hello,

There was a recall on our regulator around the year of your trailer. Call Grand Design with your VIN. Maybe you will get a free replacement.
    2007 Ram 5.9 CTD 4x4 LB
    2019 Imagine 2500RL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast