User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question Key West Trip - Campgrounds both Private and Government

I am planning a Key west trip for the summer of 2025 - a year out. The last time I was there was 1970 or so as a teenager scuba diving with my brother at I think was Pennekamp State Park and other places. I don't remember any camping there. From there we went towards Key West diving along the route. I think we stayed in cheep motels - that was the day. - cheep along with some tent camping.

So what camping is available along the Keys. We do like to boon doc, so fancy parks are not needed except electric, but please list anyway My scuba days are over, but I do want to fish from shore or Charters.

Thanks for any help
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    66 views and no camping spot recommendations? I did find out that Pennekamp does have camping, Florida State Park information lists it under amenities of all places.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th wheel with 6K axle upgrade. B&W 25K OEM Companion, Steadyfast system, 2022 F350 SRW 6.7 King Ranch 8' bed, Trailer reverse lights, rear spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, and Solar

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by powerscol View Post
    66 views and no camping spot recommendations?
    Spots in the Keys can be hard to come by, my guess is no one wants to share and potentially loose out on a spot. But if someone doesn't want their favorite spot in the Keys announced they could send a PM and at least share with someone interested . This way it's shared but not with the whole world
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never been but plan to go one day. Perhaps check out Hipcamp if you aren't familiar with it. It's like Airbnb but for RV's and tent camping.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, maybe I'm the only one who's not afraid of someone snagging "my" spot in the Keys.

I've tried several times to get spots in the Keys during the winter, including at Pennekamp SP, all to no joy. And things are likely to get worse at the state parks with Florida's new policy of giving residents first crack.

However, we were able to get in at the Sugarloaf Key KOA. It's a very nice campground, surprisingly nice for a KOA. Sites are close together with not much privacy between sites, but the sites are level gravel, with nice patios, attractive landscaping, and very good internet. And Sugarloaf Key is convenient enough to the other places (including Key West) to visit. Admittedly, we snagged reservations a few days after they opened up after rebuilding the campground after a hurricane. So maybe that was just luck of the draw.

FWIW, I just did a quick check for sites available during the period 12/18/24 to 1/8/25 and got zippo. Moving a couple weeks either direction gave me the same result: no joy. So maybe other people have already gotten "my" site anyway.

Good luck
    Skip
    2024 Imagine XLS 23LDE
    2020 Ford F-150 4WD 3.5L Ecoboost
    Amateur Radio K4EAK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're headed down there in a month. When I was starting to book for this trip(8mo.ago)the only place I could get for my rig was in a state park in the everglades. My thought was to just grab the tent for a night trip in the keys but I see now that tent sites aren't even available for 1 night at the end of this April. We may have to get some hotel or something for a night.
    Safe Travels,
    Bruce.
    2022 278BH 5th Wheel
    Tow Vehicle- 2023 F350 CCLB DRW, 7.3 gas, 4;30 gears

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SkipRD View Post
    Well, maybe I'm the only one who's not afraid of someone snagging "my" spot in the Keys.

I've tried several times to get spots in the Keys during the winter, including at Pennekamp SP, all to no joy. And things are likely to get worse at the state parks with Florida's new policy of giving residents first crack.

However, we were able to get in at the Sugarloaf Key KOA. It's a very nice campground, surprisingly nice for a KOA. Sites are close together with not much privacy between sites, but the sites are level gravel, with nice patios, attractive landscaping, and very good internet. And Sugarloaf Key is convenient enough to the other places (including Key West) to visit. Admittedly, we snagged reservations a few days after they opened up after rebuilding the campground after a hurricane. So maybe that was just luck of the draw.

FWIW, I just did a quick check for sites available during the period 12/18/24 to 1/8/25 and got zippo. Moving a couple weeks either direction gave me the same result: no joy. So maybe other people have already gotten "my" site anyway.

Good luck
    Skip
    Thanks Skip
    Wonder what reservations are like in the spring/summer/fall. I guess I need to dig a bit deeper once I know of places to stay. I would probably like a spot for just a week.

Too bad the old days are gone. I remember going there as a kid (mid to late 60's. Dad had a small Airstream (Bambi) and we just pulled up in a parking lot (large roadside pull out) outside of Key West and camped for the nigh or two. I remember going fishing in the mangos with a fishing guide. No reservations needed anywhere that I remember.

Worse case I can camp outside the Keys and try motels for a night or two at Key West or close.

Thanks
    Last edited by powerscol; 03-23-2024 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spring, summer and fall are the "slow" times in all of florida. Just remember hurricane season is June-Nov. August and Sept have the highest chance.
    2003 Ford F250 6.0 CC 4wd SB
    2016 Reflection 27RL
    1999 Keystone Sprinter 27FWBHGL (SOLD)

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We were in the keys this past year. Late Nov until just before Christmas. We stayed at Bahia Honda State Park and John Pennekamp State Park. Took a snorkel trip to Looe Key Reef lots of fish and soft corals but the hard coral is mostly dead there. Still was a nice trip. I fished from the bridge connected to Big Pine Key and from shore at Bahia Honda but no luck. I wanted to fish from Channel #2 and #5 bridges when at Pennekamp but it rained most of our stay there. The best beach at Bahia Honda is near the concession building. Less seaweed and the current is not as swift. There is also a nice beach on Marathon called Sombrero Beach. It is fairly close to Curry Hammock State Park. That is also a nice campground. We didn’t get to do anything in the park at Pennekamp due to the rain. Best place we found to see key deer was on Big Pine. Key Deer Blvd to Watson Dr then right onto Bayshore just before the bridge to No Name Key. Most of that is residential and we saw the most near sundown almost at the end of Bayshore.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bluewater Key is at MM14 and is AWESOME! (pricey, though)

It is REALLY hard to get into all the state parks unless it is the middle of the week. We are regular Keys visitors and we have to book forever in advance, even for private places. There are a couple of other places around Marathon, etc., but they are also pricey. Hope that helps!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast