User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Stan Laurel
    Guest

    Tow Vehicle for Imagine

    Hello - I guess I will be the first poster here. I am planning on purchasing an Imagine TT for my family of 3 (hoping they come up with a smaller version since the only one I can find sleeps 10). I will be pulling the trailer with a '15 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel 4X4 with air suspension. Once I get new tires, it looks like it should be more than up to the task. Comments welcome!

  2. #2
    Fireside Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Oxford, Mi.
    Posts
    53
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well that is plenty of vehicle. I drove one for work for a couple weeks doing some bench marking. I liked it. I just picked up My Imagine last weekend. I am using a 2015 Nissan Armada right now. We will see what I get next. I get a new vehicle about every 8-9 months.

  3. #3
    Mandtscan
    Guest
    Sounds like more than enough vehicle to me. We pick up our 2800 bh Saturday and I'm towing with a 2010 Toyota Tundra. From what I understand, the dry weight is only about 50% of its towing capacity. So I imagine (no on intended) you will be just fine.

    ~Matt

  4. #4
    Hunter
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mandtscan View Post
    Sounds like more than enough vehicle to me. We pick up our 2800 bh Saturday and I'm towing with a 2010 Toyota Tundra. From what I understand, the dry weight is only about 50% of its towing capacity. So I imagine (no on intended) you will be just fine.

    ~Matt
    How does your Tundra Pull it? i have been using my in-laws dually and i am picking up a truck in April. Looking at the crewmax. Have you done any 7% grades? Any insight would be helpful.

    Ben

  5. #5
    Mandtscan
    Guest
    Hi Ben,

    The Tundra pulls it just fine. I have gone up and over a few mountain passes (not sure of the exact grade). Stability was good, tork was enough and the engine and transmission stayed cool. I was very impressed. I didn't try to get over the pass quickly and many times turned off overdrive and just cruised at about 55 mph and the engine stayed at about 3,300 rpm. Don't expect much gas mileage though. I usually get about 15-17 and I dropped to under 10 average when I towed it.. But hey, we don't buy these for the gas mileage.. Lol. All in all, I would say you are very safe as long as you get the crew max with the 5.7L V8. Good luck sir!!

    ~Matt

  6. #6
    Site Sponsor Kordog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    172
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of these would do the trick just fine!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1791.jpg  
    Korey SE WI
    2014 Denali 3500HD LML DRW 4wd FS Airbags 20k Reese
    2014 Momentum 385TH #1396
    2013 Manitou SES VP 150hp Mercury 4 stroke
    Volunteer Firefighter Since 1997

  7. #7
    NachoFirme
    Guest
    Checking in here with another tundra, I'm over the tow cap and it can pull up and down 6% grades all day, coming back from ocotillo I was passing semis and other people towing trailers climbing a grade and my truck stayed in 3rd gear at 3400rpm for over 12 minutes, needles never moved on my dash temp-wise.

  8. #8
    Seasoned Camper mbaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Orillia, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    165
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NachoFirme View Post
    Checking in here with another tundra, I'm over the tow cap and it can pull up and down 6% grades all day, coming back from ocotillo I was passing semis and other people towing trailers climbing a grade and my truck stayed in 3rd gear at 3400rpm for over 12 minutes, needles never moved on my dash temp-wise.
    Hi NatchoFirme: I wanted to use a Tundra (nice trucks) but couldn't get enough payload capacity for towing a fifth wheel, too bad Toyota doesn't consider that important. Looking at your picture, I'm thinking you might need some air bags in the back...should level things up.

    Ben
    Sharon, Ben & Maggi-Ann (the Cockapoo)
    2014 Reflection 293RES with Airborne Sidewinder
    2015 Ford F150 Ecoboost 4x4 Crewcab with Reese R16

  9. #9
    Pburleson
    Guest
    New to the GD forum. My wife and I are contemplating the purchase of a 2800 BH. Doing some research on our TV which is a 2011 Audi Q7 with the factory tow package. It is rated for 6600 lbs. tow weight and 660 lbs. tongue weight. This unit is close to both weights for our TV. We don't use our current TT for long trips. Most are less than 150 miles one way. Looking at the Air Stream forums there are several towing that weight and more with no issues. We would definitely use a WDH. Does anyone currently use the same setup or are there issues that I am not seeing?

  10. #10
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    21
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pburleson View Post
    New to the GD forum. My wife and I are contemplating the purchase of a 2800 BH. Doing some research on our TV which is a 2011 Audi Q7 with the factory tow package. It is rated for 6600 lbs. tow weight and 660 lbs. tongue weight. This unit is close to both weights for our TV. We don't use our current TT for long trips. Most are less than 150 miles one way. Looking at the Air Stream forums there are several towing that weight and more with no issues. We would definitely use a WDH. Does anyone currently use the same setup or are there issues that I am not seeing?
    Most are coming out of the factory around 6000lbs. Add propane and battery and you are at 6100lbs, maybe 6150lbs. That only leaves 450-500lbs, which is very difficult to stay within (one case of soda/beer is 20lbs). Looks like your Audi payload is about 1280 lbs, subtract your tongue weight from that allowing you about 600 lbs left in the vehicle, that is passenger weight and any cargo in the car itself. That is also assuming zero water to or from the campsite.

    Also, "6600 lbs and 660lb tongue weight" is only 10% tongue weight, that is the very MINIMUM for a stable trailer that won't sway, and even at that depending on CG it may sway regardless. If you can't get to 12% tongue weight and stay within limits it may be too close. Some use 15% as a good starting point. Many of these tow ratings are geared towards boats which are more aerodynamic and tend to have their trailer tires closer to the back of the trailer.

    Either way good luck!
    Last edited by N9740b; 03-28-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Imagine 2950RL Tow Vehicle
    By COTraveler in forum Tow Vehicles
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-02-2017, 11:48 AM
  2. Imagine 2950RL tow vehicle
    By dwhutch in forum Welcome Mat | New Member Introductions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-20-2017, 03:33 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-07-2014, 04:13 PM
  4. Tow Vehicle for a 379FL
    By cargo747 in forum Tow Vehicles
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-12-2014, 04:43 PM
  5. Warning to Diesel Fuel Tow Vehicle Owners
    By TucsonJim in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 05-22-2014, 05:14 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.