User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienelson View Post
    Thanks for the info. I may look at just rewiring a few outlets and add them to be run off the inverter. I do have the factory installed propane generator but don't like to use that unless absolutely necessary because it drinks the propane like Otis the town drunk from Mayberry. lol
    They aren't the most efficient but I wouldn't go back to the portables if you paid me. Another advantage of lithium is they can be charged faster. My set up is 4 - 100ah lithium's with a Victron multiplus II (3000 watt inverter). The Multiplus is hooked up to the whole unit, everything works including the microwave or even an air conditioner (for a short time). It will also charge the batteries at about 95-100 amps per hour. Even if I use most of the battery capacity the generator only needs to run for 3-4 hours to completely recharge them (need to leave enough to start the generator!)
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ronnienelson View Post
    I currently just have the base package with 2 AGM marine/RV batteries. I eventually want to upgrade to some lithium batteries to have enough power to run my laptop and hotspots, etc and maybe the TV for a day or two. We don't currently do much boondocking or stays at Harvest Hosts without at least a small shore power hookup because I still need to be able to work.
    Based on your stated needs, you could accomplish everything with a larger battery bank and your existing Inverter.

Installing three 100 amp hour (ah) Lithium batteries (LiFePo4) would most likely meet your requirements, however, I would recommend installing four batteries, just to give you a little bit of extra energy storage.

As others have suggested, you can add the TV circuit to the Inverter along with another circuit to power an outlet to charge your laptop and other devices.

In regard to your devices, you should switch as many of them over to 12v DC charging as possible, to reduce the energy losses involved when Inverting 12v DC to 120v AC, and then Converting the 120v back down to 5v DC through the device's charger. This can easily be accomplished by adding a couple of 12v power outlets (commonly referred to as a cigarette lighter socket) next to where you charge your device's and getting a USB charger with a couple of ports. Note: you want to ensure you unplug your USB charger whenever you are not charging your device to avoid the "phantom" drain caused by the USB charger when not in use. You could simply add a switch inline with the 12v power outlet to make this easy. In my coach, I was able to convert the factory supplied USB ports (very low power output USB ports) to 12v power outlets and use a couple of high quality Qualcom 3.0 "Quick" charges to charge my devices.

If you are thinking about adding Solar in the future, I would suggest reading the "Affordable Solar..." thread pinned at the top of the "Solar and Generator" forum. I would also recommend reading the "Installing Solar in Phases" linked in that posting. Reading these threads will give you a good sense of what is possible, especially if you are working from the road.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    They aren't the most efficient but I wouldn't go back to the portables if you paid me. Another advantage of lithium is they can be charged faster. My set up is 4 - 100ah lithium's with a Victron multiplus II (3000 watt inverter). The Multiplus is hooked up to the whole unit, everything works including the microwave or even an air conditioner (for a short time). It will also charge the batteries at about 95-100 amps per hour. Even if I use most of the battery capacity the generator only needs to run for 3-4 hours to completely recharge them (need to leave enough to start the generator!)
    Did you install your multi plus II or have someone else do it? I just got my new Solitude 2930 the end of last year and thinking about the Multi Plus II. I already have the four lithium batteries from my last trailer that I had setup with my 2000watt inverter and plugged it in to the trailers side outlet when needing 120. I’m thinking of going all out this time with the Multi Plus but thinking of having it installed professionally with solar panels. I’m told the labor would be about 3K.
    Lynne and Lance
    2023 Solitude 2930 Current and Forever
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Traded In
    2016 Reflection 297RS. Traded In
    2022 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel CC SRW SB
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel Traded In

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lance Glogowsky View Post
    Did you install your multi plus II or have someone else do it? I just got my new Solitude 2930 the end of last year and thinking about the Multi Plus II. I already have the four lithium batteries from my last trailer that I had setup with my 2000watt inverter and plugged it in to the trailers side outlet when needing 120. I’m thinking of going all out this time with the Multi Plus but thinking of having it installed professionally with solar panels. I’m told the labor would be about 3K.
    3k doesn't sound too bad for the labor to install Solar panels and the MultiPlus-II. Just be certain they are qualified to do the work.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    3k doesn't sound too bad for the labor to install Solar panels and the MultiPlus-II. Just be certain they are qualified to do the work.
    Thanks for the response. ThriveVans is a company that do mainly van conversions. I saw them on YouTube do a reflection with a Multi Plus II whose business is close by. Their labor quote seemed a little high but maybe not.
    Last edited by Lance Glogowsky; 03-28-2024 at 07:15 AM. Reason: Misspelled word.
    Lynne and Lance
    2023 Solitude 2930 Current and Forever
    2018 Reflection 303RLS Traded In
    2016 Reflection 297RS. Traded In
    2022 Ram 3500 6.7 Diesel CC SRW SB
    2015 Ram 2500 6.7 Diesel Traded In

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12