User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Generator propane supply line routing

This generator propane supply hose under the front bay on my 377MBS is looping down quite a bit - looks like it could get snagged pretty easily. Got to figure out the best way to get it routed properly.
    Anyone have pics of their Onan 5500 generator supply line routing, or have ideas for me?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	genny propane supply.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	962.8 KB 
ID:	50194
    2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3, 33" Toyo AT2, Transgo, 6.0 trans cooler, exhaust brake, extended overload spring bumpstops, Bilstein 4600, Hydra/PHP, FORScan, billet 7/7 turbo wheel, Adrenaline HPOP, EBC yellow stuff brake pads
    2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan Brakerite actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWSTGDS View Post
    This generator propane supply hose under the front bay on my 377MBS is looping down quite a bit - looks like it could get snagged pretty easily. Got to figure out the best way to get it routed properly.
    Anyone have pics of their Onan 5500 generator supply line routing, or have ideas for me?

Name:	genny propane supply.png 
Views:	13 
Size:	962.8 KB 
ID:	50194
    That looks like a poor dealer install job. My factory install does not have the hose visable.

That said, it would be difficult to replicate a factory install at this point. You will need to tie it up the best you can. Is this a propane fed generator? The hose fitting would seem to indicate that. If so, then cutting off excess length would not be an option. If that is whats needed, a new hose will have to be made.
    Last edited by huntindog; 03-23-2024 at 06:06 AM.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll echo @huntindog and say that looks like a really poor post-factory installation. The safest thing to do would be to route the line along and above the channel of the frame rails (this is the way the propane line runs from the regulator to our kitchen slide).

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rigid part of the propane supply line, from the generator passing through the hole, does not allow for a smooth transition to the horizontal run. I'm interested to see what a good installation looks like - hoping someone has a picture/diagram.

I can clamp it up a bit more, but that will put strain on the hose at the rigid side - would like to re-create the proper install if possible.
    2001 F350 SRW CC LB Lariat 7.3, 33" Toyo AT2, Transgo, 6.0 trans cooler, exhaust brake, extended overload spring bumpstops, Bilstein 4600, Hydra/PHP, FORScan, billet 7/7 turbo wheel, Adrenaline HPOP, EBC yellow stuff brake pads
    2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan Brakerite actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BWSTGDS View Post
    The rigid part of the propane supply line, from the generator passing through the hole, does not allow for a smooth transition to the horizontal run. I'm interested to see what a good installation looks like - hoping someone has a picture/diagram.

I can clamp it up a bit more, but that will put strain on the hose at the rigid side - would like to re-create the proper install if possible.
    I have the same setup with the line underneath the front of the power bay. Mine does not hang down as far. I can't remember how, or if, it has a clamp on the section of flex hose. I've attached a pic but you can't see too much. I'll check next time I go to the RV storage place, if you can wait a couple of weeks. It looks to me like you could pull it up some with a clamp about midway along the flex portion, but I'm just guessing.

Name:	Bottom Pic.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	50198
    2021 Solitude 380FL-R
    Ram 3500 MegaCab SB DRW

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That helps, and I can wait for more pics when you get to your rig - much appreciated. Agree another clamp supporting more of the cable closer to the generator needs to happen. Maybe I can also loosen the supply line and rotate it upwards, while leaving enough space from the edge of the hole for vibration while it runs.

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	50201

And then there's this exhaust pipe hanger - just noticed it gave up. Adding to the list...

Name:	exhaust hanger.png 
Views:	1 
Size:	1.60 MB 
ID:	50203
    Last edited by BWSTGDS; 03-23-2024 at 09:29 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got to looking at this genny propane hose routing tonight while fiddling with some other things. Loosened the supply hose at the generator and bent the cutout sheetmetal upward a bit to prevent a sharp edge.

Name:	IMG_1507.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	50276

The cable clamp is held with a stubby self-tapper. We'll see how it holds up.

Name:	IMG_1503.jpg 
Size:	96.3 KB 
ID:	50277

Name:	IMG_1506.jpg 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	50278