User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Norcold 2118 fixed, maybe!

I have been fighting my Norcold 2118 to cool like I needed/wanted it to since 2018 when we purchased our Solitude 377. I thought I had pretty much tried everything to include tear it out and reinstall per the manual specs with clearance, insulation, baffles ect. Two years ago I added the Beech Lane dual thermostatic fans into the upper vent and it worked pretty well until last fall. While boondocking in Moab I could not get it to cool below 40 degrees on gas or electric no matter what I did. Fast forward to last week as I was getting it ready to head to Arizona for Spring break with my girls.

I added some fans to the fins inside the fridge. This is the Beech Lane kit that I hard wired into the fridge 12v. I have also had issues with the thermostatic switch with the three fans on the back of the fridge. I decided to bypass that and add a programmable thermostat for the fans. I used a simple 12v off Amazon
    Click For Full-Size Image.
    I added pigtails so I could hook it directly into the factory fan wiring harness. I set it to come on at 95 degrees and off at 80 degrees. Temp probe is same place as factory temp probe on fridge.

I have never had the fridge work so well. Granted it was only 85 degrees where we were at but I only ran the fridge on setting 4. These are my temps inside the fridge and freezer as well as history for the week with highs and lows.

Tom, Jodi and the Girls
    2014 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW (Our Little Truck)
    2000 Kenworth T2000
    2018 Solitude 377MBS

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of curiosity, do you use it more on LP or electric? The reason I ask is that J.C. Refrigeration makes compressor cooling setups (120VAC and 12VDC) for the Norcold fridges that cool properly and are very reliable. Everyone who has done the conversion can't say enough nice things about them. If we had stayed in our previous rig with the Norcold fridge, I would have done it in a heartbeat (we had nothing but problems with the Norcold and even had to have the cooling unit completely replaced once due to a leak).

https://jc-refrigeration.com/

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you use it more on LP or electric? The reason I ask is that J.C. Refrigeration makes compressor cooling setups (120VAC and 12VDC) for the Norcold fridges that cool properly and are very reliable. Everyone who has done the conversion can't say enough nice things about them. If we had stayed in our previous rig with the Norcold fridge, I would have done it in a heartbeat (we had nothing but problems with the Norcold and even had to have the cooling unit completely replaced once due to a leak).

https://jc-refrigeration.com/

Rob
    It is a mixture. We boondock a lot so use propane there because the Norcold is a power hog even with my decent sized battery bank and solar. If we are in park it is on ac. This was really the last straw before I rip it out and put the JC conversion in. I thought about converting to residential but honestly the conversion is a little better price and it keeps the factory finish which my wife kind of likes so we will see.

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyates007 View Post
    It is a mixture. We boondock a lot so use propane there because the Norcold is a power hog even with my decent sized battery bank and solar. If we are in park it is on ac. This was really the last straw before I rip it out and put the JC conversion in. I thought about converting to residential but honestly the conversion is a little better price and it keeps the factory finish which my wife kind of likes so we will see.
    The 120VAC heating element in the stock Norcold is a power hog - as all resistive heating is. The 12VDC JC conversion would be more efficient than the 120VAC because you wouldn't have the efficiency loss of the inverter to factor in.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amen on JC, what a difference...solid ice cream! Wish I still drank beer, it would be cold!

Len
    Last edited by Scousers; 03-25-2024 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Typo

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The 120VAC heating element in the stock Norcold is a power hog - as all resistive heating is. The 12VDC JC conversion would be more efficient than the 120VAC because you wouldn't have the efficiency loss of the inverter to factor in.

Rob
    If I change I will go 12VDV for sure. They seem to have a pretty good track record from what research and reading I have done. They also are pretty reasonable on their install rate if one does not mind making the trip out to see them.

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If I change I will go 12VDV for sure. They seem to have a pretty good track record from what research and reading I have done. They also are pretty reasonable on their install rate if one does not mind making the trip out to see them.
    I had it done in May of 2022 and got the 12VDC Twin Compressor Mod installed. One compressor is strictly for the Fresh food area, the other is strictly for the freezer. Each have their own separate controls so you can them them individually. My freezer stays within a couple of degrees of zero, and the fresh food area will always be in the 38/39 degree range.

It does use some power though. On a typical day, it will use about 144 amp hours from the battery in a 24 hr. period of time, but of course that will depend on how often you open/close the doors, the inside of the trailer temperature, the amount of stuff in the fridge, direct sun or not on the fridge side, etc, etc.

I built a 302AH LFP battery before I had the conversion done, and we don't hardly ever boondock, but that much battery capacity is way more than enough for even the longest travel day. I've had zero issue with mine since the install and I consider it to be one of, if not the best mod I've done to my trailer.....and I've done a bunch.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I had it done in May of 2022 and got the 12VDC Twin Compressor Mod installed. One compressor is strictly for the Fresh food area, the other is strictly for the freezer. Each have their own separate controls so you can them them individually. My freezer stays within a couple of degrees of zero, and the fresh food area will always be in the 38/39 degree range.

It does use some power though. On a typical day, it will use about 144 amp hours from the battery in a 24 hr. period of time, but of course that will depend on how often you open/close the doors, the inside of the trailer temperature, the amount of stuff in the fridge, direct sun or not on the fridge side, etc, etc.

I built a 302AH LFP battery before I had the conversion done, and we don't hardly ever boondock, but that much battery capacity is way more than enough for even the longest travel day. I've had zero issue with mine since the install and I consider it to be one of, if not the best mod I've done to my trailer.....and I've done a bunch.
    Appreciate the real world feedback on usage. I really like the dual climate control. During this past week fridge cooled better than ever, too cold really once I got the freezer to 0.

Interesting thing was while I was playing with things, if I just ran the stock fans in the back of the fridge and not the upper vent fans the temp at the top of the compartment really increased. Even though I have a baffle to direct heat across the top of the fridge in the slide the heat just hung out there.

I suspect the conversion is in our future but if I can get another season out of this one I will. Your testimony about the best mod you have done is pretty convincing though. I will say in hindsight with all the time I have spent and probably money if I added it up over the past five years on this Norcold I could have already paid for the conversion. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t so stubborn, lol.

Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Appreciate the real world feedback on usage. I really like the dual climate control. During this past week fridge cooled better than ever, too cold really once I got the freezer to 0.

Interesting thing was while I was playing with things, if I just ran the stock fans in the back of the fridge and not the upper vent fans the temp at the top of the compartment really increased. Even though I have a baffle to direct heat across the top of the fridge in the slide the heat just hung out there.

I suspect the conversion is in our future but if I can get another season out of this one I will. Your testimony about the best mod you have done is pretty convincing though. I will say in hindsight with all the time I have spent and probably money if I added it up over the past five years on this Norcold I could have already paid for the conversion. Sometimes I wish I wasn’t so stubborn, lol.
    My 2118 continues to work perfectly. I am in Phoenix, so it is subject to our summer heat, and it deals with it well. The only problem I had was the factory cheap $3.00 fans failed early on. I replaced them with $20.00 fans that are weatherproof and have a 50,000 hour rating. I am pleased that it works well, as we always boondock so propane operation is a priority for us.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    My 2118 continues to work perfectly. I am in Phoenix, so it is subject to our summer heat, and it deals with it well. The only problem I had was the factory cheap $3.00 fans failed early on. I replaced them with $20.00 fans that are weatherproof and have a 50,000 hour rating. I am pleased that it works well, as we always boondock so propane operation is a priority for us.
    I have heard there are some unicorns out there that worked really good from the factory

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast