User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyates007 View Post
    I have heard there are some unicorns out there that worked really good from the factory
    I've heard that too. Unfortunately, mine was NOT one of them, and it sounds like you might be in the same boat. If you do end up going to JC Refrigeration...and you are somewhat handy and comfortable working with small electrical projects, you could do like I did and run a new 12VDC circuit from the battery area back to the area behind the fridge. The existing 12VDC that is back there now is likely NOT sufficient for the new Twin Compressor mod and if you run that circuit yourself instead of having them do it, you can save yourself some $$. I added a 12VDC breaker in my generator/hydraulic bay that feeds from the 12V buss, and ran the power back to the slide area where the fridge sits....before I went to JC. I think they normally charge around $200 for just that part of it...depending of course on the complexity of getting the wiring back there.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that tip. I would run the DC wiring before going. What guage wire did you upgrade to? I know JC has a recomendation

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tyates007 View Post
    Thanks for that tip. I would run the DC wiring before going. What guage wire did you upgrade to? I know JC has a recomendation
    I put in a piece of the rubber coated cable (SOOW) that is like a portable power cord or black extension cord. I used a run of 8/2.....that's 8ga wire/2 conductor. On my application, I had to go from the front compartment over and through the streetside propane compartment, then down along the outside of the main frame I beam on the streetside of the trailer. From there, I ran it into the "hinged" arm that connects from the outside of the frame I beam to the slide wall under the slide......just like the propane line and the 120VAC line, etc runs....and then up through the bottom of the slide. You have to be careful though that you get everything tucked away under there so that when the slide is retracted, it doesn't pinch anything.

After coming off of my Pos. and Neg. buss bars in the front compartment, I ran the Pos. lead to a 40A manual reset breaker.....
    Here is a picture of the front compartment and you can see the breaker there. Look to the upper right side of the RED Pos. buss in that picture.

Pardon the mess...that picture was taken while I was doing the install of my DIY LiFePO battery and heat controller for the battery box that is insulated and heated....as well as the install on my Victron Shunt.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I put in a piece of the rubber coated cable (SOOW) that is like a portable power cord or black extension cord. I used a run of 8/2.....that's 8ga wire/2 conductor. On my application, I had to go from the front compartment over and through the streetside propane compartment, then down along the outside of the main frame I beam on the streetside of the trailer. From there, I ran it into the "hinged" arm that connects from the outside of the frame I beam to the slide wall under the slide......just like the propane line and the 120VAC line, etc runs....and then up through the bottom of the slide. You have to be careful though that you get everything tucked away under there so that when the slide is retracted, it doesn't pinch anything.

After coming off of my Pos. and Neg. buss bars in the front compartment, I ran the Pos. lead to a 40A manual reset breaker.....
    Here is a picture of the front compartment and you can see the breaker there. Look to the upper right side of the RED Pos. buss in that picture.

Pardon the mess...that picture was taken while I was doing the install of my DIY LiFePO battery and heat controller for the battery box that is insulated and heated....as well as the install on my Victron Shunt.
    Excellent, thank you

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you use it more on LP or electric? The reason I ask is that J.C. Refrigeration makes compressor cooling setups (120VAC and 12VDC) for the Norcold fridges that cool properly and are very reliable. Everyone who has done the conversion can't say enough nice things about them. If we had stayed in our previous rig with the Norcold fridge, I would have done it in a heartbeat (we had nothing but problems with the Norcold and even had to have the cooling unit completely replaced once due to a leak).

https://jc-refrigeration.com/

Rob
    I have heard nothing but positive comments about the jc refrigeration conversion. Considering the cost is it that much better than just buying one of the OEM type 12vdc fridges as a replacement?
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    138 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I have heard nothing but positive comments about the jc refrigeration conversion. Considering the cost is it that much better than just buying one of the OEM type 12vdc fridges as a replacement?
    I have zero experience with any of the OEM type 12VDC refrigerators, so I couldn't tell you for sure. Having said that, when JC Refrigeration builds (they are all hand made in their shop) the cooling units, they use heavy duty piping and they also make the compressor mounting bases with rubber absorption feet to help lessen any strains that may be induced while the trailer is bouncing down the road during travel. Combine that with hand made and to me, they are probably the very best 12V compressor unit you can get out there. They build them specifically for the RV applications, and knowing how an RV is subjected to a lot of movement while traveling.

Here is a pic. I have of mine...
    Last edited by xrated; 03-27-2024 at 10:30 AM.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    My multi-certified RV tech here in Maryland says he has a garage full of the 12VDC compressor fridges (a lot of them Furrion) which failed and were replaced under warranty. The issues were with the compressors and the manufacturers may have that ironed out by now - I don't know. In addition, I've read numerous posts about the shelves in the 12VDC fridges breaking and owners being advised not to travel with food in the refrigerator (a refrigerator in an RV!!!). With the sturdiness of the JC Refrigeration units and the fact that the Norcold fridges are made for RV use, I would opt for the JC Refrigeration conversion myself.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My multi-certified RV tech here in Maryland says he has a garage full of the 12VDC compressor fridges (a lot of them Furrion) which failed and were replaced under warranty. The issues were with the compressors and the manufacturers may have that ironed out by now - I don't know. In addition, I've read numerous posts about the shelves in the 12VDC fridges breaking and owners being advised not to travel with food in the refrigerator (a refrigerator in an RV!!!). With the sturdiness of the JC Refrigeration units and the fact that the Norcold fridges are made for RV use, I would opt for the JC Refrigeration conversion myself.

Rob
    These are my thoughts exactly

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rob
    Definitely makes good sense.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We second the love for JC refrigeration

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast