User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to set Samsung RF18 residential fridge when not connected to shore power...

I have been trying to figure out how to set our Samsung RF18 to use the least amount of energy when using batteries (mainly during no sun times) to prolong charge in batteries.
    Does anyone with this fridge have any tips? I have scoured manuals and google, but do not fully understand if there would be any settings I could change to accomplish this.
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R
    2021 Chevy 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Long Bed DRW

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thread moved to Appliances.

Per Samsung:

"How to use the Power saving feature of Samsung Refrigerator?

1 Touch the Energy Saver button to turn the Energy Saver mode on.
    2 Press the Energy Saver button again to turn the Energy Saver mode off.
    3 When off, the Energy Saver icon will not be lit up."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    Thread moved to Appliances.

Per Samsung:

"How to use the Power saving feature of Samsung Refrigerator?

1 Touch the Energy Saver button to turn the Energy Saver mode on.
    2 Press the Energy Saver button again to turn the Energy Saver mode off.
    3 When off, the Energy Saver icon will not be lit up."

Rob
    Rob,
    Thanks for trying. But, that does not apply to this fridge. This one does not have an energy saver mode, at least one that is obvious.
    Kind of curious more so as to what others with this fridge are doing with the fridge when "off grid" too help with not using too much of their battery storage. That was the reason for the post in the Solar section of the forum. Perhaps there is no good/better setting and they are flipping a breaker when going to bed and the residual cold is plenty to hold temps good until the sun comes up again. I was just hoping the right people would see this post and maybe give some insight.
    And also, thanks for being a moderator for this site, I know it can be a thankless job at times, dealing with some on the non-sense.
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R

Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma1973 View Post
    Rob,
    Thanks for trying. But, that does not apply to this fridge. This one does not have an energy saver mode, at least one that is obvious.
    Kind of curious more so as to what others with this fridge are doing with the fridge when "off grid" too help with not using too much of their battery storage. That was the reason for the post in the Solar section of the forum. Perhaps there is no good/better setting and they are flipping a breaker when going to bed and the residual cold is plenty to hold temps good until the sun comes up again. I was just hoping the right people would see this post and maybe give some insight.
    And also, thanks for being a moderator for this site, I know it can be a thankless job at times, dealing with some on the non-sense.
    We have a Samsung RF-18HF and it has an "E. Saver" button at the far right of the controls at the top when you open the doors. Perhaps the "HF" in the model number is the difference? That said, I never use it. We have 400AH of LiFePO4 batteries plus the solar and have never had an issue.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 03-25-2024 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Always fixing typos...
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    We have a Samsung RF-18HF and it has an "E. Saver" button at the far right of the controls at the top when you open the doors. Perhaps the "HF" in the model number is the difference? That said, I never use it. We have 400AH of LiFePO4 batteries plush the solar and have never had an issue.

Rob
    I think you may be correct about the "HF".. Ours does not have that in model number, nor any e-saver button I see.. Ours is a 2022, maybe that is the difference. We are currently running 300AH LiFeP04 batts and they struggle at times to have enough juice to go 10 hours. My wattage and Amps seem high on shunt and at this point the fridge is the only thing I can attribute this to.
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you may be correct about the "HF".. Ours does not have that in model number, nor any e-saver button I see.. Ours is a 2022, maybe that is the difference. We are currently running 300AH LiFeP04 batts and they struggle at times to have enough juice to go 10 hours. My wattage and Amps seem high on shunt and at this point the fridge is the only thing I can attribute this to.
    My Samsung doesn't have a energy saver button either, it does have a peak demand setting though. I believe the models switched late in the '21 model year. The new ones don't have true handles, just recesses in the door. I had the old model in our '17. They both use about 10 amps +/-per hour including inverter loss, less overnight when its cooler and no one is going in and out.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JKellerJr View Post
    My Samsung doesn't have a energy saver button either, it does have a peak demand setting though. I believe the models switched late in the '21 model year. The new ones don't have true handles, just recesses in the door. I had the old model in our '17. They both use about 10 amps +/-per hour including inverter loss, less overnight when its cooler and no one is going in and out.
    Yes, ours has peak demand setting. My understanding on that is that it somehow bases operation off of times when energy cost are lower, based off the energy company. In my mind that means it would run harder after dark, more so later at night, when I want it resting.
    2022 Solitude 390RK-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, ours has peak demand setting. My understanding on that is that it somehow bases operation off of times when energy cost are lower, based off the energy company. In my mind that means it would run harder after dark, more so later at night, when I want it resting.
    Yes peak demand will move around certain functions for when electricity will be cheaper. Defrost cycle, ice making, etc. I just leave it off

I've heard that ice making takes a bit of power though I have no idea why, so I'll leave that off if I'm off grid and concerned about power.

Other than that the other functions still need to be done at some point so whether its during the day or at night makes no difference to me. Residential fridges and off grid camping don't go well together without a decent battery pack (which you have) and a reliable way to recharge. If your struggling making it 10 hours with 300AH then something is wrong or something else is pulling power. 10 hours over night with just the fridge should be less than 100 amps. Our last unit had 200AH and the only time we ran them out of power overnight was when we were in 30 degree temps and the furnace ran a lot over night. Even then it didn't run out until around 11 the next morning. That was before we added a monitor and I didn't realize the amount of juice the furnace takes. Any kind of fan uses more that you think it would.

I would run a test, shut every breaker off except for the fridge and see how much power it pulls on the shunt over a period of time. It should make it over 24 hours easily if nothing else is running. You could also get a kill-a-watt monitor and see what the fridge pulls by itself but you wont get the inverter loss accounted for. If I remember right the OEM one in our old unit was around 82% efficient. Our new one with the multiplus is in the low 90's i believe.

You can keep searching until you find the culprit. Make sure the electric is off on the water heater. I forget occasionally.

https://www.amazon.com/P3-P4400-Elec...00009MDBU?th=1
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW