Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Roof Sealer

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Roof Sealer

We have a 2023 Solitude 280RK which we recently had in for a couple minor items to be corrected before the warranty ran out. I was told by the dealer that the sealer on the roof would need to be replaced in the near future. He qouted me $1350.00 for stripping and replacing. First of all, is it really true that the roof sealer wears off in less that 12 months and secondly, that seems like a lot of money. I'm suspicious that they are just wanting to gouge me for an unnecessary repair.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both may be true. You may have areas that need maintenance. And if you are unable to get up there to look for yourself, find someone you trust to take a look (RV tech, relative, etc.). It's also possible that the dealer is attempting to gouge you. It would be very easy to believe that there are some areas that already need attention, but pretty hard to believe the entire roof needs attention. The last two new off the lot RV's I've had (2022 and 2023) did need attention immediately. One leaked inside during the first rain within two weeks of getting it home. I've written some threads about using marine adhesive caulk rather than the products recommended by the manufacturers, if of interest. But no matter if you agree on the products to use, I very much recommend getting up on the roof and looking for problem areas. Good luck!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Without you personally looking your roof over you will never know the actual condition of the roofing sealant.

Did the dealer take good photos to show you? If not, get a ladder and look for yourself.

And instead of more self leveling sealant clean it off good and put on Eternabond tape over it. You'll be done having to bother with more self leveling sealant - probably forever.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Both may be true. You may have areas that need maintenance. And if you are unable to get up there to look for yourself, find someone you trust to take a look (RV tech, relative, etc.). It's also possible that the dealer is attempting to gouge you. It would be very easy to believe that there are some areas that already need attention, but pretty hard to believe the entire roof needs attention. The last two new off the lot RV's I've had (2022 and 2023) did need attention immediately. One leaked inside during the first rain within two weeks of getting it home. I've written some threads about using marine adhesive caulk rather than the products recommended by the manufacturers, if of interest. But no matter if you agree on the products to use, I very much recommend getting up on the roof and looking for problem areas. Good luck!
    We have a 2014 Reflection 303. It still has the original roof that still looks good. I know the roof on yours is different but I have talked to a lot of RV owners and have never heard that statement of needing to replace the roof that often. Look at the warranty supplied by the company that makes the roof. It is a lot longer than that. I believe it is 20 years.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    We have a 2014 Reflection 303. It still has the original roof that still looks good. I know the roof on yours is different but I have talked to a lot of RV owners and have never heard that statement of needing to replace the roof that often. Look at the warranty supplied by the company that makes the roof. It is a lot longer than that. I believe it is 20 years.
    Just something to consider and you may want to read through your warranties and maintenance information...There may be a several years warranty on the roof membrane, but it doesn't cover water damage from neglect such as not maintaining the sealants on a regular basis. Unless you puncture the membrane with a branch or something, that material is not likely to fail for many years. But that's not the problem. Especially check where the edge trim meets the roof membrane front and rear and see if there are any cracks in the caulking. That's a very common area to check as soon as you get the rig home. Also look for pin holes in the self leveling sealant, or pockets where the sealant can trap water against a vent cover and make sure it isn't beginning to lift in those areas. If you can peel it easily, take notice. Just my $.02.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Riverbug View Post
    Just something to consider and you may want to read through your warranties and maintenance information...There may be a several years warranty on the roof membrane, but it doesn't cover water damage from neglect such as not maintaining the sealants on a regular basis. Unless you puncture the membrane with a branch or something, that material is not likely to fail for many years. But that's not the problem. Especially check where the edge trim meets the roof membrane front and rear and see if there are any cracks in the caulking. That's a very common area to check as soon as you get the rig home. Also look for pin holes in the self leveling sealant, or pockets where the sealant can trap water against a vent cover and make sure it isn't beginning to lift in those areas. If you can peel it easily, take notice. Just my $.02.
    Thank you, good advice and into for those new to rving we just got done looking over the roof and touching up where needed. We Eternabonded the front transition a few years ago

The re sealing is not uncommon and depending on your ability to get on the roof to inspect, clean or remove before resealing. It's atedious job and removal can be difficult but still easily doable by owners. Self leveling caulk isn't horribly expensive or use eternabond as suggested above. Doing it yourself will save some money that's better spent camping!
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 03-27-2024 at 01:42 PM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for all the replies. I will get up on the roof this weekend to look. I did look at my extended warranty required maintenance schedule and under the roof section there is mention of checking for sealant voids, so I guess the sealant only last a few months. Odd, I've had trailers/5th wheels for about 20 years and have never sealed a roof. Never had a roof leak other that one caulk issue on an older trailer.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LKWiandt View Post
    Thank you for all the replies. I will get up on the roof this weekend to look. I did look at my extended warranty required maintenance schedule and under the roof section there is mention of checking for sealant voids, so I guess the sealant only last a few months. Odd, I've had trailers/5th wheels for about 20 years and have never sealed a roof. Never had a roof leak other that one caulk issue on an older trailer.
    That's really surprising but great for you. I've had a couple motorhomes and several travel trailers. I've refurbished two of them down to studs and floors, both had terrible water damage. One from the roof and one from multiple windows. One of the issues is the common Butyl tape which over time dries out and loses its ability to seal well, on top of the silicone they often use along the trim and windows which is great for ease of use but not longevity.
    Chad

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LKWiandt View Post
    I did look at my extended warranty required maintenance schedule and under the roof section there is mention of checking for sealant voids, so I guess the sealant only last a few months. Odd, I've had trailers/5th wheels for about 20 years and have never sealed a roof. Never had a roof leak other that one caulk issue on an older trailer.
    Some warranties require the maintainace be done by a dealer, check to see if it is true for your warrany.
    Marcy & Gary
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan